Reviews (2 744)
2 744 results
All reviews coach house lovely hotel town centre spa treatments evening meal old building leisure facilities short break few minutes walk afternoon tea a lovely stay stratford wedding character theatre beams rear
11 - 16 of 2 744 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had one night on Stratford with our two teens. We booked this hotel because it seemed like a good price for the location which is excellent - short walk to the centre of town and the theatre, right on the river, looks fab from the outside and lovely gardens, big car park too. It's a good sized hotel with a spa and pool which we unfortunately didn't have time to enjoy. We booked two rooms. We found these to be quite basic and plain for a 4* hotel and a little dated but were clean and comfortable and as mentioned were a good price considering the location.
We decided to have a drink in the bar first. There was a fireplace but despite being cool it was not lit which is a shame as it would of given some ambience to the room - the bright lights didn't help either, so we drank up and headed to the restaurant.
We had booked the restaurant for the evening meal but were unfortunately really disappointed. It was the equivalent of a beefeater but not as good. We had planned to have a 3 or 4 course dinner but the choice of starters was dreadful - think back to the 70's when tomato juice was a choice. The soup of the day was tomatoe. Perhaps it was Italian tomatoes with fresh basil but we were told it was simply tomatoe, which made it sound as appealing as if it came out of a can and that was one of the better choices. So we just chose a main course (think steak and chips kind of choices ) The food was nicely cooked (we requested rare and it was perfect) so no complaints there. The main issue we had was the terrible old fashioned choices and the fact that everything was 'extra' eg bread basket was over £4 extra, a sauce for the steak was extra, vegetables to go with your chips were extra and it's not as if the basic steak and chips was cheap - it wasn't! The restaurant ambience was not relaxing either - bright lights and the smell of chips . There were some new staff who were a little awkward but everyone has to start somewhere but they seemed to of been thrown in at the deep end with little training which is a management issue. We just couldn't wait to leave. We just ate our main course as quickly as possible and left to return to our rooms where we ordered desserts from the room service menu.
We had pre booked breakfast too which We were thinking of cancelling but ended up going and were actually really pleasantly surprised. It was a big buffet breakfast of hot and cold food. Lots of bacon, eggs etc. Hot drinks and toast brought to your table - it was very good and well worth the £12.50 charge. The waitress /manager with the pink sparkly eye makeup was excellent and really
hardworking so well done to her.
I really think this hotel is missing a trick - its a stunning looking building in a prime location.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy B
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Wendy B
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor. Customer service is important to us and I have appreciated your detailed comments. I regret you have been disappointed in some aspects of your stay.

Thank you for recognising Lynne, our Breakfast supervisor, I will share your lovely comments with her. I have noted your comments concerning the ambience of the bar and restaurant and will follow this up with my Food & Beverage Manager. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. In addition I will also review our menu with him and my Head Chef. I am glad you were happy with the quality of your meals, but have noted the points you have raised regarding the menu descriptions by the service team and the lack of choice.

I would like to thank you again for your comments and I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night as was working in the area and the hotel is a very attractive building, however when you get inside, it's charm is a little hidden by dated decor.

Check-in was slow, however i checked in c3pm, so appreciate that there may be a rush.

Was advised to pay for parking which isn't like a 4 start hotel, however with being so close to the Town Centre, perhaps they get people not using local car parks and use theirs as it could be free.

My room was very large and well proportioned. It was very well equipped apart from would expect a bottle of water in the room as standard. I had two glasses and an ice bucket (with no ice for some reason), but nothing to drink!

Bed was very comfortable.

Bathroom was large, however the shower was a shower over bath and was one that was in the wall, pressure wasn't great, and looked rather old, so not a great experience.

I didn't have breakfast in the hotel, so cannot comment on that. The restaurant wasn't pushed very much on check-in, so perhaps that because the hotel is so close to the centre of town, that there is so much choice - missed opportunity, i would have happily had a beer in the bar/restaurant if it was 'plugged.' I am in sales, so thinking about the guest's wallet-share, you want to provide the guests with as many opportunities as possible for the guests to spend their money within the hotel.

As a business traveller, I look for

* Good bed
* Iron and ironing board
* Good shower
* Good hearty breakfast (if included in room rate)

On the whole, I would stay again, but would try to find somewhere else first purely because the shower wasn't what I would expect in a 4 star hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Paulo8000
Thankyou for taking the time to post your comments. I appreciate all feedback in order to review our service and quality standards. Thank you for detailing your observations.

I am sorry you have been welcomed with a car park charge. We do charge for the stay (regardless of length) and this is usually added on to the bill to be paid on departure. I will follow up your comments with my reception team. In addition, I will speak to my Maintenance Manager concerning the water pressure in the shower you have experienced. I regret this has been a disappointment on this occasion. I have noted your feedback regarding bottled water in the bedroom. It has been a recent decision to take bottled water out of classic rooms, and I will certainly forward your feedback on concerning this.

Thank you again for your feedback, I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Macdonald Alveston Manor in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

Stayed here in September for a 1 night Dinner bed and breakfast special offer, the welcome was was friendly and staff were happy , the room was lovely on ground floor over looking garden. beds very comfortable had a very good night sleep room very clean bathroom water hot nice fluffy towels and range of Bubble bath and shampoo which was good. Only issue was the door was broken took a few attempts for key card to work, had to call out reception Twice, he said he would get it fixed but it did not happen . could have been dangerous in a fire as not only did the room not let us it it also was hard to get out of .

Dinner was good and breakfast was even better, the bar was a nice place to sit but the prices were expensive £5 for a cup of tea. The hotel is very central and great for exploring Stafford

Did complain about the door not begin fix when we left and did get an apology.

The spa is small and when we went closes at 6pm ( although had advertised a twilight spa till 9pm) which we were not aware off so did not get long in the relaxation room which was a shame as we had an hours treatment at 5pm, also Spa lost our booking and payment so nearly did not get our treatment they need a better booking system when booking in advance

Would return for a longer stay

Room tip: Ask for a garden view as some over look the car park and bins
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear hunniebee
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor. Feedback is valuable to me so I may review our service and quality standards and I appreciate your detailed comments.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay; your room, the service and the staff you have met. I will share these with my team. I have noted your comment regarding the door, both the issue you have experienced with the lock and the difficulty you have experienced opening it. I appreciate you have raised this with reception and I will review this with the team. I have followed this up with my Maintenance Manager to prevent a recurrence. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I will follow up your comments concerning the Spa, its booking system and its closing time. I am sorry this may have spoiled your experience.

I am glad you would return for a longer stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

1 nights stay for a friends get together, decided to try the hotels restaurant and not disappointed. From check in to check out everyone was so welcoming and friendly. Rooms were spacious and nicely decorated, a little tired in places but it’s an old building with character so it really wasn’t an issue. Lovely gym/spa facilities and overall a great stay. A big shout out to Tony for excellent service and a great Irish coffee as well as all the other staff who served us on the 3rd November!

Trip type: Travelled with family
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Dear Nicky P
Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay and will certainly share your feedback with my teams. Thank you for recognising Tony, I will ensure he is rewarded for his service and Irish Coffees.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 3 November 2018

We stayed for just one night, the room was large with tea and coffee making facilities, bed was large with lovely comfortable pillows, bathroom was great with lovely Elemis toiletries and soft fluffy towels what more could you ask for. The hotels location is excellent just a few minutes walk to shops etc, we didn’t have breakfast so can’t comment. We had a lovely overnight stay in beautiful Stratford-upon-Avon.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Debra B
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay and will share your comments with my teams.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Macdonald Alveston Manor in the future.