“Good beer and cocktail selection and great service.”
Review of The Botanist

The Botanist
Ranked #116 of 1 356 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: It started with a seed. An idea shared amongst friends. They imagined a secret garden, where all can enjoy the curious refreshments of nature...
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Good beer and cocktail selection and great service.

We were served by Liam, who seemed totally unphased as he chatted away, served two large groups and created one of the most impressive-looking cocktails I've ever seen. (No, I've no idea what it was!)

Food is really good too. Try the deli board.

BotanistNCL, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi mad_rich,
Thank you for taking the time to write this 5* review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit with us and hope to see you again in the future! :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3 889)

53 - 57 of 3 889 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Rude and awful staff they treat you like animals, haven’t got such a bad service in ages, the waiters ask you to ask the bartender even if you wanna order a full bottle

Hi Jhonny R,

We would like to hear more about your visit! Please email andrewshielredfern@thebotanist.uk.com as soon as possible and we shall get this issue resolved. Thank you

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having used this venue several times for our monthly get together my friends and I came here again tonight, but we all found ourselves pretty disappointed. Unusually we all opted for the same Pan Fried Garlic Prawn Salad as a main course as it seemed a perfect fresh choice for a lovely summer evening - sadly the dish that we were served bore little resemblance to the menu description. What appeared was basically a dish of fresh kale with five microwaved prawns and very little of much else! Those prawns had definitely not seen either a clove of garlic or a frying pan!! At £11.95 this was a poor main course, and we ended up ordering desserts as we all still felt hungry.

We did share our views with our server and a senior member of staff came along and said she'd pass our comments on to the chef, however, there was no attempt to try and put things right with an adjustment to the bill. We couldn't fault our server who was helpful and friendly, we love the venue but won't be in a hurry to return or recommend as we felt our comments were not taken seriously - a missed opportunity to keep customers satisfied!

Hi Gordon M,

I am very sorry you feel this way. We do have a manager at the kitchen window for most of the day, to ensure food goes out correctly. The menu description of the salad is also exactly what goes into it, 'Pan Fried Garlic Prawns with kale, sugar snap peas, red onion, crushed peanuts and a coriander and mint yogurt dressing'. There are no other ingredients and unfortunately this matter is out of our hands as our Head Office decide on our menu, but I will pass on your comments.
If you would like to pass your concerns onto the General Manager please email andrewshielredfern@thebotanist.uk.com and he will be sure to assist you further :)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Brought my parents here for a Saturday night meal & drinks when they were up visiting. Have been here a few times for food and always thought it was solid enough, with the main draw being the bar and atmosphere with live music ect. We had an enjoyable evening and no complaints with the service at all, waiter was attentive and friendly. We all agreed however the food was excruciatingly poor for the price paid. We thought maybe the chef had left for the day or there were some other issues we weren’t aware of because I can’t imagine this is the sort of standard they usually operate to. Calamari was almost inedible burnt, greasy, and measly portion. Edamame beans greasy and unpleasant, Katsu chicken burger the most dry and tasteless thing you can imagine, & ditto pork sknitzel which was like something frozen you would stick in the oven yourself on a week night, steak very bland ect ect. If the venue see this I’d be interested to know if there did encounter any issues on Saturday that could have contributed to this as I’d like to think they were just having a bad day. In hindsight should have complained but didn’t want to sour an otherwise enjoyable evening.

Hi cmhf2018,

We are so sorry to hear this! This is most definitely not the standard we usually perform too. Please send a copy of this complaint and your concerns to andrewshielredfern@thebotanist.uk.com and he will be sure to assist you with these issues! :) I hope you do come back again and realize that this is not the standard you usually perform too.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

For my 21st birthday, a couple of friends and I went for a cocktail making class at The Botanist! Wow, what an experience! Our teacher, Jess, was so friendly and chatty and really sweet! We had an amazing time and she made us feel at ease! She also left me a little note saying ‘Happy Birthday’! She is wonderful, the cocktails are unique and delicious and I will definitely be back again! Thank You Jess!

Hi LessonsInDecorum,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I think one of your friends also wrote one for Jess and her masterclass so we will definitely get her a little gift as a thank you! Hope to see you again soon :)