Reviews (1 314)
1 314 results
All reviews train station directly opposite the station street noise bottle of prosecco a city centre hotel car park fantastic location bit dated stayed for one night hotel bar buffet style bars and restaurants friday night good nights sleep newcastle earplugs nightlife
15 - 20 of 1 314 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at the County Hotel in Newcastle for the first and definitely last time on Saturday 10th November. We made the mistake of fully pre paying for our stay.
Despite requesting a quiet room when booking two months prior to our stay. Reception confirmed us into a noisy room and when we questioned this they stated no other room was available as the hotel was full. The reception staff were disinterested and dismissive.
The double room was extremely small (stayed in larger single rooms in London) and the bed was also uncomfortably small .
There was no hot water with which to take a shower or bath. The fact the heated towel rail did not work was therefore inconsequential. The maintenance team came and investigated and concluded there was nothing they could do.
All issues were raised with reception on checkout. We were offered complimentary breakfasts. The reception appeared oblivious to the fact we had already paid and had our breakfast. They then stated there was nothing else they could do.

1  Thank BobPaton
DominicM1620, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thankyou for posting your review. I am sorry that we did not note your specific request for a quiet room and were unable to move you during your stay. I am aware that there was a temporary maintenance issue with our boilers over the weekend and am sorry that that this was not explained to you at the time. I will most definitely follow this up.

In the event you do reconsider staying again, please contact me directly so as I can look after your reservation personally.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Comfortable hotel in a central location by the train station. Walking distance of bars, restaurants and the football ground. Nice hotel bar with a good atmosphere. Enjoyable stay and I would return again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank mattywater

Thanks Matty for your review.

Pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked this weekend away as a surprise for my husband after a stressful few weeks. We arrived at the hotel, parked up and checked into our room, where all reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We also had a bottle of prosecco in with our deal and that was delivered to our room as well, which was lovely. The issues started when we went to the restaurant until we checked out really; we booked a table for the Hudson restaurant and it was stunning! Our booth was very romantic, staff were very attentive and the overall feel of the restaurant was very relaxing! I ordered the mushroom open lasagne (which was the first mistake) and my husband ordered the ribs; I didn't realise that in this day and age open lasagne's didn't come with tomato in, so it was just a carbonara style mushroom dish with lasagne sheets in. If I wanted a carbonara overload, I would have ordered one. After a few mouthfuls, I felt queazy and send this back. Very kindly, the staff in the restaurant took this off the bill so this was free, and I ordered a burger instead. After waiting 20 minutes, the burger arrived, so my husband sat and watched me eat as he had already eaten his dish. After our meal, we paid the bill and headed back to our room.

Our bed was very comfortable and the room itself was beautiful, however it was quite cold due to the bathroom being overly chilled! So we kept the bathroom door closed and whacked the heating on for some warmth! We had a pleasant night sleep however I did start to feel sick from the moment I woke up on the Saturday morning. During the morning, while myself and my husband were "busy" there was a knock at the door and the house keeping maid walked in!!!! It was blooming 8:50, so why was she coming into our room when check out was 1pm??? She apologised and left - I don't know who was more embarrassed!!

The thought of the mushroom lasagne just kept making me feel sick and so I threw up numerous times in the bathroom, so much so that I felt too ill to receive breakfast in the hotel.

All in all it was a weekend away to remember, but not for the right reasons!! If I hadn't eaten the vile mushroom dish, the maid didn't enter our room and the room was warm when we entered, this would have been a 5 star rating. The staff of the hotel (apart from the maid) and the restaurant staff were so helpful and accommodating so a big thank you to them. Maybe next time I visit I might bring my own padlock, a hot water bottle and avoid the mushrooms.......

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thankyou so much for your review.

I have discussed your comments with our Executive Chef who is particularly grateful for your feedback as we are currently reviewing our menus and your feedback is invaluable. I am also sorry about the Room Attendant and will address that without delay.

On a brighter note, I am pleased that you found the staff all friendly.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

I needed somewhere to stay when my original accommodation fell through 48 hours before I was due to travel. With so many events happening in the city, The County was one of the only choices and I'm so glad that I made it.

Located directly opposite the train station, it's perfect if you want to be in the heart of the city (which I needed as I was attending a gig). You're a short walk from shops, pubs, clubs, restaurants, and the beautiful quayside. And if you want to get out to the coast, it's a quick ride on the Metro.

The staff were amazing and couldn't have been more helpful or welcoming, especially for someone who'd never been to the city before. Nothing was too much for them, from locating a hairdryer to more tea bags.

My room was located on the fifth floor overlooking Grainger Street. There's a number of bars on this street and it's the main thoroughfare to the station and Metro after a night out so it did get noisy.

The hotel is charming and, if you prefer to stay in older buildings, may be worth a visit. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will miss chatting to the staff. I'll definitely be back!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
DominicM1620, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2018

Thankyou Rachael. Lovely review and we hope its not too long before you come back and visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2018

This hotel is ideally located near to the station. Our room was quiet at the back of the hotel in the older part of the hotel but a little cold when we arrived, the radiator was sorted out for us by the maintenance staff. (Newer side better sound proofed). Paul the concierge was very helpful over this problem and ensured that all was well with us. The room was average size, the beds were very comfortable and every where was very clean. Lovely large fluffy bath towels. There was a good choice at breakfast in a lovely comfortable modern restaurant area. The Hudson restaurant was part of the hotel where we had an excellent evening meal the evening before. Enjoyed our visit to Newcastle upon Tyne. A lovely city.

Room tip: Modern side of the hotel better sound proofing but back quieter than front.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DominicM1620, General Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Thanks for a lovely review. I will ensure Paul gets to hear of your kind words and we hope you will come and visit again before long.