“A pub that dislikes Canadian's (really anyone who isn't British) - who knew such rude people existed.”
Review of The Victoria Comet

The Victoria Comet
Ranked #438 of 1 354 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Description: You'll find The Victoria Comet in the centre of Newcastle, directly opposite Newcastle Central Railway Station and a short stroll from the O2 Academy and St Nicholas Cathedral - and you won't find another pub quite like it. Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This pub may be easy access across from the station but I wouldn't recommend going. (well unless they are British then you're accepted). I would like to start off by saying the experience I had was the worst I've ever been treated in Newcastle and I have lived here three years. I went inside and asked for a drink and the girl behind the bar asked for my ID, (a valid question as I am young and I do look young but the way I was treated after was unacceptable). she looks at my ID (confused as ever because it was Canadian) and states that she did not know how to verify my age, (fair question if you've never seen an international drivers license) I point to where the age of the license was, (trying to help her out, as this is always the case when they cannot find it) she proceeds to call her Manager over. He barely looks at my ID and says "I am unable to verify if the license is real because he has never seen a Canadian drivers license, then has the nerve to then ask if I have any British documentation/passport on my person and if not he would not serve me " I tell him , that I am Canadian (which he should have been obvious from my accent) and that is my Canadian drivers license (again another point he should have been able to notice) and if there's any question about it being fake I have 3 other CANADIAN governmental ID's in my purse plus a credit card which will show that CLEARLY 1. I am not British so no I will not have any UK ID and 2. that my ID is real along with the others. he doesn't even bother to look at my other Canadian governmental documents, which shows nothing but arrogance. The manager then proceeds to say they have a 'list' of ID they accept which is UK and EU (like if he had seen an Austrian drivers license he would know what to look for). it is understandable that you may query a license you do not understand but the fact that they would not even look at any other official government documents is pathetic with a dash of racism. this is a problem I have NEVER had in any other place because any reasonable human being would verify a foreign ID with other documents (which I clearly had) they continued to cut me off and their attitude was nothing but belittling. so in short, only go to this pub if you're British, Scottish or basically very white because that is what gets you served. long live the Queen.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very pleasant pub, opposite the train station. Good choice of beer. Ordered food but waited for 45 mins, before asking if they had forgotten about us, whilst other people were getting their dinner. Food soon arrived after that. My fish and chips was a good portion and delicious. My husband,on the other had, ordered a burger, what it lacked in flavour, it made up for in size. If we are in the area again, we probably would visit again.

General Manager A, Manager at The Victoria Comet, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Carenhibbert123, thank you; we appreciate your feedback! Please accept my apologies for the wait on your food. I have begun an investigation to find out why it took so long to arrive. We are delighted to hear your comments about your meals and will use your feedback to assess our burgers. We hope to see you back here soon and if there is anything further you wish to add, please don't hesitate to get in touch on 0191 2617921. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Really nice owner tried some martin miller gin samples and gave great recommendations on drinks always like to call in when in Newcastle

Hi Kieran. Thank you so much for rating us 5 out of 5. We are glad you were able to find something you liked. We have a gin festival starting in about a month so there will be plenty of new gins for you to try if you're back in the area. Have a fantastic day!

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Arrived at 2235 noting the advertised closing time is 2300 to be told they had closed early. Apparently the advertised times are ‘discretionary’.

Was disappointed as had planned a pub crawl and this was to be our last pub, had checked the closing time and left the previous pub in good time to make sure we were here well before the closing time.
Would have stayed in the previous pub had we known this would be closed.

Inconvenienced!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Called in to eat but stopped serving food at 9 (Burger King was also closed and a nearby pub also stopped serving - I thought Newcastle was a late night city!)

Good choice of beers however and had a drink - well worth a visit before a train.

Also the bar staff directed me to somewhere where I could eat after 9pm so much appreciated.

General Manager A, Manager at The Victoria Comet, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thank you for your review Simon. We hope that you have many train journeys to come so you can join us for a few beers. Until the next time we meet, take care!