“Purrfect pours”
Review of Mean Eyed Cat

Mean Eyed Cat
More attraction details
Owner description: Very small, independent bar, just left of centre. Having been around the block several times, we’re back for one last shot at the brass ring. With many years of delivering quality suds to the esteemed folk of Newcastle and Gateshead, in such top hostelries as The Schooner, The Central and The Cluny, amongst others, we are delighted to welcome you to Mean Eyed Cat. We're serving 6 Cask and 8 Keg, in an ever revolving and evolving round up of beers, backed by a perfectly formed, can and bottle range. They’ll come from local, national and international suppliers and all of tip-top quality!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

An absolutely stonking addition to the Newcastle drinking scene which I'd no idea existed but had been recommended when drinking in the Toon the day before.

Once informed of the MEC's existence, I'd locked on target via the medium of Google maps and had noted that the licence currently only runs to 22:30. I arrived on this lovely mid June Friday night at just after 22:00 and although the sky was still sunlit, I didn't have too long to get involved.

Centrally sited at Haymarket in an unorthodox former newsagents, which on one side has NHS signage for the North East Foot Centre and the other side signage proclaiming MEAN EYED CAT, it's apparent that if you're partial to the principle of killing two birds with one stone, and a fan of great beer but also suffer from bunions, corns or the dreaded verruca, you've seemingly appropriately landed on your proverbial plates and just about hit the jackpot in these two fields.

All are welcome at the MEC, including those not receiving the local services of a practising podiatrist and it was certainly busy on this night but I managed to find a vacant berth and was soon sampling a number of the amazing cask and keg beers.

And what's this? Empanadas. Blimey, I had a veg chilli one which was great and looked around at some of the great Mexican artefacts.

With such authentic Mexican leanings, I asked if they had any mezcal and they did, plus a brilliant verdita (little green) to accompany it in alternate sips, similar to a sangrita.

It was soon time to go although I enjoyed the whole place so much I came back the following night and picked-up from where I left off.

A great team operate the cat controls and I spoke to Julie on the first night I visited, partnered by David, saying how super the whole operation was.

There's some great Newcastle drinking spots, including the nearby Town Mouse, but none quite like the MEC so do yourself a big favour and seek it out.

Most excellent.

Julie C, Owner at Mean Eyed Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hello Michael and thank you so much for your purrrrfect review. We really appreciate the time you have taken to write this. We're so glad you like our little emporium and really hope you will come to see us regularly. Very best wishes! Cheers or should I say Salud!

All reviews
"pubs"
"newcastle"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

This is a nice new addition to the Haymarket area and I think it was previously a newsagents. It’s small but has some great beers on tap. It’s definitely on the cost side due to size. Well worth a visit.

Julie C, Owner at Mean Eyed Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thanks for your review and nice comments Stuart. We're glad you enjoyed the beers and hope to see you again soon. Cheers!

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Called in on Saturday evening for the 1st time. Good range of drinks at, I thought, reasonable prices. I had a nice pint of Jaipur, I wasn't going to ask for tasters as it was getting quite busy, but there was someone sat at the bar with a laptop, drink and food taking up quite a lot of room, also had his bar stool about 2 feet away from the bar and his coat and ubiquitous backpack lying on the floor for people to avoid. Whilst this is o.k. during a quiet afternoon, I think it is totally unacceptable on a busy Saturday evening in a bar which is described as 'cosy'. I also think a little smile from the bartenders wouldn't go amiss! This could very easily have been a 5 star review apart from these points. Carry on the good work with the bar, I will be coming back.

Julie C, Owner at Mean Eyed Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Thanks for your review and your comments. We will certainly take on board your comments and try to ensure that all of our team encourage customers to be respectful of our small space. We pride ourselves on being friendly and approachable so I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't see smiling faces, All of us will be reading your review. We're aiming for a 5* next time you visit! Cheers

Reviewed 25 May 2018

FAB BAR - Great beer, bar, music, service & manager, Place buzzing this Friday teatime, great atmosphere in this comfortable and very popular bar - a must if visiting Newcastle - excellent location next to Newcastle University, Eldon Square and Haymarket bus station. A must to visit x

Julie C, Owner at Mean Eyed Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Cheers Sue! We really appreciate your 5* review and your very positive comments. Hope to see you again soon. Cheers