“Palace house home ofNHC for Horses Newmarket UK”

Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Newmarket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The National Heritage Centre is situated in the remains of Charles II’s sporting palace and stables, Palace House, and spans five acres in the heart of Newmarket. It comprises three complementary attractions; the new National Horseracing Museum, a National Art Gallery of British Sporting Art, and a chance to meet former racehorses, in the flagship yard of Retraining of Racehorses.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First rate exhibition even if you don’t follow racing, spent 4 hours & didn’t cover all, on site cafe a bit pricey, but good quality, believe it had a room to picnic for kids? Near by long stay parking not expensive, get timings right & you get a demo on retraining retired thoughabreads, well worth the visit

AmiC_NHRM, Public Relations Manager at Palace House, Newmarket (National Heritage Centre for Horseracing & Sporting Art), responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Mike

Thanks for your kind review, so glad you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed learning and meeting our four legged residents in the Retraining of Racehorses' Rothschild Yard. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

"cafe restaurant"
"lovely cafe"
"entrance fee"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My partner and I came here for a day visit from Yorkshire as my partner had received free tickets from Godolphin (though entrance fee is only £12 each for adults).

There is no parking for the attraction but there is ample of car parks around Newmarket, we stayed in a long stay car park (up to 7 Hours was £2.50 so a bargain!)

There are plenty of signs directing you to the centre, though don’t be alarmed when walking up a back lane, it is just set off from the main High street.

The exterior of both the Palace House & the Centre were in excellent condition. We entered the centre and was greeted by a friendly chap on the reception, he gave us the map & told us all the key information.

The exhibition was very interesting.

The museum was a little disappointing as I expected to see more memorabilia & achievements of horse racing / jockeys but it was very interesting too. Very educational in terms of how & when horse racing began. Also the making of a race horse; breathing, muscle, stamina etc this would be educational for those who slate the sport of horse racing.

We stopped for lunch in the cafe / restaurant, it was very busy but the service was exceptional & the food was tasty too. My partner had the spicy sweet potatoe & carrot soup - he said it was very spicy. I had the mac & cheese, it was very cheesy. Though as already said it was tasty. Reasonably priced too.

The centre continued outside, my partner pretended to be a superb jockey on the equicizer.

I personally loved the ROR bit the best, the charity for retraining of racehorses. I found it very educational of how the retraining happens & the life after racing for the horses. The woman who took us on the 2.30pm behind the scenes tour was very informative & passionate about her job. She hardly stopped for breathe, think the only time she did was when she was being asked questions. It was nice to ‘meet’ some of the ‘stars’ of racing too.. Purple Moon & Royal battalion.

Definitely worth a visit for any equestrian fanatic; racing or leisure! I would recommend having spending at 3-4 Hours here.

The upgrade to a yearly pass is only £8 extra, which I would also do if we lived a little more local.

Thank you!

Thank you for your great review, we're so glad you had a great time. We have a host of new exhibitions coming up - please check out our website for more information. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We were on holiday in the area and Palace House was somewhere I had ambitions to visit for a long time. I was not disappointed. We arrived well in time for the morning demonstration about the retraining of racehorses which was a wonderful way to start. I have loved racing for a long time and even I learnt nuggets of information. I was thrilled to see Starluck was there as he was a horse I followed when he was racing. The horses are well looked after and I loved hearing about what they do to retrain horses and how they go about it. We had lunch in the Tack room which was a real treat and serves a range of dishes from slightly poshed up sandwiches to more formal dining. We enjoyed the Chicken Caesar salad and one of their lighter bites involving houmous and salad. It was busy so booking would be advisable.
The various exhibitions are outstanding and easily sucked up the rest of the day for us. I was fascinated but even my husband, who is not as avid a fan of racing as I am, found plenty to interest him. There is also a vast collection of paintings and sculpture to explore.
We stayed until closing time and the highlight was when one very kind member of staff brought out Starluck for me to say hello to after I mentioned I was pleased to see him back with them. I cannot praise the Rothschild yard staff enough for their commitment and interaction with visitors. Indeed, all the staff we came across were friendly and helpful, especially the chap who persuaded my husband to have a go on the equine simulator.
We had a very full and wonderful day. All my expectations were met and surpassed. Thank you everyone for a marvellous and memorable day.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Even if horseracing is not your thing a visit here is a must The renovations are sympathetic to the original fabric of the buildings The Tack Room for eats is a must- excellent food at reasonable prices

AmiC_NHRM, Marketing Manager at Palace House, Newmarket (National Heritage Centre for Horseracing & Sporting Art), responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 March 2018

The title of this heritage centre might suggest that only those already interested in horseracing would enjoy a visit. However, I have no such specialist interest and yet found it fascinating: all the exhibits had obviously been very carefully selected and are really well presented with exactly the right amount of explanation; no information overload. I also found it a really relaxing place and aesthetically very pleasing. Great to see horses so well looked after. Very friendly, well-informed, welcoming staff too.

AmiC_NHRM, Public Relations Manager at Palace House, Newmarket (National Heritage Centre for Horseracing & Sporting Art), responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Many thanks for your kind review. It's always great to get visitor feedback so that we can ensure we're working to provide the best possible experience for all our visitors. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Travellers who viewed Palace House, Newmarket (National Heritage Centre for Horseracing & Sporting Art) also viewed

Been to Palace House, Newmarket (National Heritage Centre for Horseracing & Sporting Art)? Share your experiences!