“Great afternoon tea”
Review of The Angel Eaterie

The Angel Eaterie
Ranked #51 of 222 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Price range: US$46 - US$79
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Angel Eaterie has many admirers and is a popular destination for Suffolk locals. The art filled dining room providing a gallery for the creative talents of the kitchen. The dishes are modern and predominantly British but, the Head Chef continually surprises with a curious twist of something deliciously different. Fresh local produce is sourced from surrounding market gardeners and pheasant, venison or fish will always depend on what's available for the menu that day. The breads baked in house are testament to the care taken to achieve that special taste; dip into the olive oil then take your pick of the 30 varieties of quality wines all served by the glass and wait for further temptations. The Angel Eaterie is open all day for food & drink.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Excellent service for afternoon tea. Their tea offerings were divine too! I’d say that their scone with clotted cream was one of the best I’ve ever had too. Love this place!!

Manager_GoughGroup, Manager at The Angel Eaterie, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Kelly F,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I'm really pleased that you had a good time with us, the scones are amazing!!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

In the midst of exchanging Christmas gifts, we discovered that we had managed to buy each other four sets of vouchers for afternoon tea at The Angel! So we booked afternoon tea for ten of us to enjoy some more quality family time.

When we arrived we found ourselves seated on a long table wedged in by the kitchen door. We laughed at the reservation label as they had misspelt my parents surname but what started as a comedy became more of a tragedy.

Waiters brought pots of tea with no milk and juice for the children. After a significant delay (by which point the first round of tea had been drained) the tiered cake stands of delicious looking goodies were presented.

In the process of presenting these, one of the waiters knocked an entire glass of apple juice over the table, onto the floor and into my poor mums lap! We found ourselves trying to mop up the sticky substance with napkins whilst more bumbling happened and eventually a replacement Apple juice was presented.

We then requested more tea to accompany the delicious sandwiches, scones and cakes. We were presented with some tiny pots but in the process of these being served one was spilt over my uncle, the other over my son’s coat!

At the end of the experience we went to discuss things with the manager, especially the dangerous nature of hot tea being slopped about and there being a flood of juice still on the floor by our table. In the course of our discussion we established that all of the usual staff were out at their annual celebration and all the staff at the Angel that day were brought in from their other restaurants to fill in. On that basis only a small discretionary discount could be offered and them take care of dry cleaning my sons coat.

The actual venue manager called my mother on their return to work but didn’t really seem to be too concerned about our poor experience or trying to retain our custom.

So to conclude, the food was delicious but the service and care for their customers seriously compromised the whole experience and what for us should have been a special family time. Such a shame.

Dear Miliwig,

Thank you for your review following your Afternoon Tea back in February.

I was disappointed to read your comments on the service, as I understand our General Manager spoke to you after the event and together with the refund that you received on the day offered to upgrade your next Afternoon Tea experience with us. As I am sure you are aware, accidents do happen and spillages do occur, however we did offer to cover your dry cleaning costs as a way of apology.

The staff that were looking after you on the day, were from our sister properties so are trained to the same standard as our staff.

Hopefully, you'll return to us and take the offer of the upgrade for the Afternoon Tea.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

If you love paying the odds for cocktails and waiting 40 minutes for a drink, visit the bar, but check your change. If you don't mind being asked whether you have booked a table when the restaurant is empty, go for lunch. Oh and if you don't mind being told that they are not ready to open at 12 as they have some light dusting to do, then wait. Otherwise, take your loved ones and hard earned cash to somewhere where they will serve you can get something to eat and the housekeeping has been completed a little earlier. Hilarity. Where is Basil?

Dear Messymagoo,

Thank you for your comments.

The Wingspan Bar, as you experienced can get very busy which does inevitably mean there is a delay in drinks orders, as they are all made to order.

As is standard practice in most Restaurants, we ask if you a table booked so that we know when guests have arrived and any specific requests are undertaken for the correct tables, such as dietary requirements, celebrations, table requests etc.

I trust the food and service in the Eaterie on the day in question was good as you've not actually commented on these.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

The lounge used to be a decent place for a light lunch. Oh Dear - how things have changed. If you're ready, I'll begin..... Having taken a table we waited for menus. Passing staff paid no attention. After about 10 mins. a nearby table let me take theirs, as they had ordered. (Incidentally, the table next to us asked 3 times for menus, got fed up with waiting, and left.) Ages after we were ready & we still seemed invisible to passing staff, I decided to go to the bar to place our order. I had to walk through a group of 3 members of staff who were chatting, to get to it. No-one there. Waited a while, back past the same staff, to Reception, who said they's send someone over....... 10 mins. later, back to reception, who said again that they'd send someone. Order taken. A little while after having ordered, we were informed that what 2 of us wanted was out of stock (why weren't we told when we ordered?). 40 mins. later the Bacon sandwich arrived as a B.L.T. (despite having discussed at length JUST bacon). Good point: the bacon was done to a frazzle as had been requested. In the ham sandwich the Dijon mustard appeared to be absent from the mustard mayo (there's the subtle taste of mustard and there's non-existant; this was the latter). On all our plates the salad was salty, the watercress was definitely neither fresh, (it was yellowing); nor had it been washed properly, (it was gritty). All of this was fed back when we were asked "Is everything alright?" as I'm a great believer in letting them know when something is either particulary good or particulary bad. Having known how good the lounge has been, both our visitors & we were sad to see how badly things have slipped. Oh well, all good things must come to an end, I s'pose.

2  Thank OldSchoolStandards

Dear OldSchoolStandards,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was disappointed to read your comments and have passed these onto the Management Team here at the hotel. I know we are currently undergoing some training for the staff in our lounge area so please do come back soon to see the improvements. We are also now offering a Bar menu in the evenings.

Hopefully, we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is quite well laid out and has good decor.
The staff are pleasant and attentive. The chef provided a taster of mushroom in a coating which was lovely.there was complimentary bread but only if one sort.
My husband's cauliflower soup came with a bon bon of cauliflower cheese and he said it was all very tasty. My beetroot salad was refreshing and tasty.the cod loin was wonderful, he said but my chicken and mushroom pie topped with filo pastry was filled with soft delicious filling but was running in oil. I could not eat more than half as it was so sickly. Such a shame.
The passion fruit Pavlova was lovely.
A very enjoyable meal just a bit spoilt by the greasiness of what would have been a great pie.

Dear sally r,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal and complimentary bread and hope to see you again soon.