“Absolute delight”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Made a last minute reservation for Saturday lunch with friends. We met in the restaurant and whilst reviewing the menus we sat in the lounge area having cocktails and canapés - we shared the plate of eight canapés between us, tasty morsels beautifully served - a real lunchtime decadence!

Shown to our window table in the restaurant area, impeccably laid out with crisp linen and beautiful glassware. The decor is complimentary to the surroundings, age, history of the building.

We selected from the lunchtime set menu, which provided ample choice but at a fantastic price of two courses for £18 or three for £21.

Starters were:
Blow torched mackerel with horseradish cream and rhubarb slightly tarty on the palate and worked so well with the mackerel. The fish was lightly torched so that the fish was just cooked with crispy skin - a great balancing act !
Guinea fowl boudin served in a lovely deep bowl, with a perfectly clear mushroom consommé poured at the table to accompany the dish. Deep rich flavour a great combination with the Guinea fowl.

And so onto the main event, all four of us went for the same choice, Fillet of pollock with a pork belly croquette, fennel shavings and pork jus. This was an outstanding dish. The chef knows how to handle fish because the pollock was just perfectly cooked, with the pork flavour working so well with the fish. The croquette was a parcel of little delight on the plate - wonderful.

Our wine selection was from Germany, a Riesling Kabinett, Johannisberger Erntebringer, Weingut Villa Gutenberg Rheingau 2016. Peaches and nectarines on the nose with a sweet and sour balance flavour which reminded me of tamarind paste used in Asian cooking - delicious wine which slipped down far too easily!

Finally desserts: deconstructed white chocolate cheesecake with a passionfruit sorbet for three of us - aerated chocolate which dissolved in the mouth with the creamy cheesecake rolled in a biscuit coating. The sorbet was zingy on the tongue and hit the tastebuds with a wonderful fruitiness!
The final pud was a Chocolate terrine with caramelised banana and almond milk ice cream, always a great combination - chocolate and banana.

Service was outstanding, attentive but unobtrusive, with details of dishes provided and great conversation over the wines as well as Jess's studies to become a sommelier.

This was our third visit to 1921, each time enjoying the lunch menu. Zack Deakins the chef patron and his brigade have real talent; the food is treated respectfully, presented so well that enjoyment starts with the eyes as soon as the plate arrives and perfectly cooked so finishing on the taste buds!

A recent accolade of 2017 best restaurant in Suffolk award is well deserved. Highly recommended.

4  Thank RoutemasterCambridge

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Welcoming and friendly staff create a very positive first impression. The service was very good throughout our dinner, especially their knowledge of the various dishes and wine list. Our food was very tasty, although portion sizes were quite small, especially the pineapple dessert dish. A warm and comfortable restaurant.
We were not offered any 'specials' although the main menu had good variety. The Matias Riccitelli Malbec was stunning, one of the best we've tried.

1  Thank ncfamilyman1234
Reviewed 14 January 2018

A Christmas present from our children so it was always going to be good night out. And trying to keep to our dry January! We had been given the trying menu with wines so could have been a problem. But although it was the first week of the new menu the drinks which had been chosen as our non alcoholic flight were interesting and all excep for one complemented our food completely. Two of our party chose the alcohol flightand agian they were not issapointed with the pairings.
So to the food. Lovely little canapés served and then to the meal. We had the tasting menu which was so delicious and varied. And considering it was just little of each course the size of the servings were perfect. The highlight for me was the fish course. Exquisite halibut cooked with the smallest slither of Lardo and delicious jus. Could have eaten just that. I did find the texture of the duck slightly too smooth but suppose that is the disadvantage of sous vide cooking. After the four savoury courses we were all getting full up but as always can find room for dessert. Two were given.the pineapple and coconut was absolutely wonderful. Tea and coffee with petite fours to complete a wonderful night out. I am afraid though that I do not know how much it all cost as our children treated us to the night. Service attentive but but not too "in your face" and each member seemed to have the same enthusiasm for the food they were serving. Well done to all very good chef.

1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Went here for my daughter’s 18th birthday. Meal was beautiful and service excellent. Would thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank wencan14
Reviewed 13 January 2018

I live in France and therefore eat wonderfully cooked french cuisine on a regular basis.
On my recent visit to BSE I decided to treat myself and sister to a meal and after much deliberation on choice of restaurant we decided on 1921 Angel Hill.
My sister had arrived before me and I was warmly welcomed and my coat taken and shown to my seat. The menu was already on the table.
We were not pressured to give our order and left to chat and leisurely choose. We had four canapés which were petite tasty morsels. I asked for bread as it wasn’t given with the canapés but was told that normally it is given with the starter....however, living in France I’m use to bread being on the table. We waited a few minutes while the bread was warmed and served before eating the canapés.
The starters were small but tasty and well presented, I had petite crispy wedges of sandwiched ground venison and my sister the crab in petite parcels.
There was a short delay in serving the main plat which was explained by the attentive staff. We were in no hurry, I prefer a more relaxed pace of service and eating experience.
The main arrive which again was nicely presented but again very small portions. I chose the rabbit (rolled in pâma ham) which was nicely cooked but needed seasoning, the jus was bland and not robust enough for my liking. My sister chose the cod which again was beautifully presented and reported as tasty.
We did not fancy any of the desserts so chose coffee with petite fours...a selection of sweets presented in a little metal box.
We had two glasses of wine.
The meal was just under 90 pounds tip not inclusive.
The restaurant had a warm ambiance. The food nice, pretty but lacking flavor ...too much attention on presentation and not taste...not quite achieving the Michelin standard.

Beware the black tiled floor in reception area is extremely slippery!

Also the toilets were filthy and we mentioned the state of one in particularly as there appeared to be red wine vomite everywhere.

We both agreed that although the meal was nice we wouldn’t be returning.