“First class food”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2018

We went for a lunch time meal on our wedding anniversary having been bought a voucher for the restaurant. The lunch menu is virtually the same but a little cheaper than the evening. The food was really lovely, totally delicious. The waitress (Anna) was excellent with just the right amount of helpful comments and attentiveness.I would agree that this is probably not the place for children, much more a couples or special occasion venue but if you have the chance to pay a visit I strongly urge you to take it.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Came with my family. Was very nice atmosphere and decor. Staff were all very helpful assisting us with the menu. Very mature restaurant, wouldn’t recommended it for children. Only 2 or 3 vegetation options across all started and mains

Reviewed 1 May 2018

I came here with a work colleague based on her recommendation and was very surprised.

I didn't really know what to expect but I loved the way the food was cooked and the flavour in the dishes; they were well thought out and everything came together really well.

The ambience is interesting, as it is quite small you can find yourself listening to other peoples conversations but I think that adds to the charm a little.

The service was excellent with the team really making an effort to be on top of everyone who was dining there.

An interesting experience that I relish going back to again

1  Thank stutheobald
Reviewed 25 April 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed our second visit to this restaurant. Great atmosphere, super friendly staff and exquisite food. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and we felt very relaxed. Best restaurant that we have been to in the area.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

First visit to Pea Porridge. On a dark January night we entered through the heavy curtains keeping out the cold into a friendly welcome and a gently lit, comfortable, just nicely cosy atmosphere. You could tell from the bread offered at the start that this was probably going to be a classy meal. It was, but not classy in the style of fussy, or glamorous, or clever-clever. From the amuse-bouche (pea fritters of course), through the marrow bone and the Breckland hare and the hanger-steak (both the latter cooked in the 'Bertha' wood oven) to the homely sounding yet gently and spectacularly great tasting afters this visit did not disappoint. My wife and each chose a large glass of really classy Bordeaux from a little known supplier and supped our way slowly and gorgeously through this fitting accompaniment to a really good meal. I think I read somewhere that Pea Porridge is a bit like a cross between rural Suffolk farm local and Italian. It certainly does big flavours, and a menu that is driven neither by fashion nor desire to bring a Michelin star to Bury St Edmunds, but rather by local provenance and an intelligent use of class and innovation - a bit like your Italian grandmother has been let loose in a Suffolk farm kitchen and knows just what she is doing.

4  Thank ACinUK