“Friendly caring service”

Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Price range: US$13 - US$46
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Sam and the team at The Lighthouse restaurant welcome every customer into a relaxed atmosphere which instantly makes you feel at home. With three different eating locations, downstairs, upstairs and the courtyard, The Lighthouse offers a 'Sleepy Suffolk' approach to eating out, with you dictating the pace of your evening. The Lighthouse chefs work tirelessly to continue to produce mouth-watering dishes for the A la carte menus and, the lunch & pre-cinema menu. With the creations of the dishes, Head Chef Guy Welsh ensures that the ingredients for all his dishes are as local as possible, with much of the fish coming right off the beach in Aldeburgh, our duck coming from Norfolk based Gressinghams, Five Winds butchers in Melton for our juicy steaks and local salad leaves from Sue Allen in Thorpeness. To round off the perfect evening, The Lighthouse offers a wide selection of tempting wines and local Adnams beers to compliment all of our dishes.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Had lunch today in the Lighthouse - we booked online the night before and had mentioned some food intolerances. We were very pleasantly surprised that the manager had provided a special menu that met those constraints ... and then came and discussed exactly what we wanted. The meal was excellent (Skate wing from the 'specials board'). Highly recommended

Write a ReviewReviews (1 315)

70 - 74 of 1 315 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We last ate at The Lighthouse in 2012 and on our review mentioned the efforts of the manager. Well, he is now the owner so has total control.
And he's excelled himself. It's still a five star restaurant, the service is still superb, and the prices very reasonable indeed.
I'd recommend the Dover Sole if it's on the specials board.
And I'd advise you to book - even at lunchtime it's very popular.
By far the best meal we had during our week stay on Southwold.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Four of us went for dinner on a Sunday night. The restaurant was busy but service was okay.

The rest of my party enjoyed their food- mine was okay. A rather tasteless terrine (disappointing) and a nice pork belly, although with a rather unusual ginger yoghurt (er, ok?!).

I’d say 3.5 but since the rest of my group really enjoyed their meals I guess it had to be a four ....

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Had a great meal between Aldeburgh Festval 2 concerts on the same day. Varied A La Carte and specials menus so had a bit of each! Chose to sit upstairs in the window. Lovely service from Alice & Chef & Team deserve a big thank you. Will be coming back. Would recommend making a reservation as the restaurant was full by the time we left

1  Thank Michael N
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Arrived on a Saturday night and they appeared to have lost our booking. Managed to squeeze us in anyway. Fantastic meal with excellent service. So good in fact decided to return the night before our week's holiday finished. Went in and booked a couple of days in advance and they did find my first booking - for 2 days later than we actually went! Yes, definitely all my fault, so sorry. The second meal was just as good as the first. We visit Aldeburgh 2 or 3 times a year so we will be back and I will make sure I book the right day in future. Thanks for being so understanding.