“Plump purple turnips”

Ranked #8 of 52 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: American, British, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Boston Tea Party is a small family owned independent cafe group serving simple well-prepared food & drinks made with great ingredients, skill and love. Ethically sourced, affordable, feel-good & excellent quality - made from scratch onsite everyday by people who care about what they do. Bath is our smallest & possibly busiest cafe with rarely a spare seat & usually a queue out the door. The quintessential place to watch the world go by, perfectly perched on the edge of a busy Bath square with loads of outside seating & near all the gorgeous Georgian stuff that makes Bath so popular.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly, ordering your coffee in this place is like being in a monkey zoo with chimps fighting over bananas. It’s so sweaty in there and they should consider table waiting. Definitely recommend their frozen coffee selection cos you’ll defo be dripping when you get the front of the queue

After the stress of ordering you can finally sit al fresco and enjoy the beauty of Kingsmead Square from the jazzy blue and yellow tables topped with plump purple turnips adding to the ambiance

Honestly this coffee shop is great and their flat whites have turned me into a fat white

TellBTP, Assistant Manager at Boston Tea Party Bath Kingsmead Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Louie W,

Thank you for your kind words! Reading such a positive review really makes our hard work worthwhile and I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to our little cafe. Indeed this heatwave is tough on everyone - customers queueing and the servers working - but if the flat white and iced coffees you received were as tasty as you say, then I guess it was worth the wait.

Do pop by soon for more chilling in our beautiful home of Kingsmead Square, with a flat white of course.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Popped in here for lunch while wandering around the city and had an absolutely lovely time. Georgia has been to the Boston Tea Party in Bristol and Cheltenham before and the Bath branch lives up to the reputation of the others! The staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful, even going so far as to explain why they put avocado in the chocolate milkshake (it acts as an emulsifier, and you can't taste it at all - I despise avocado and couldn't find anything to complain about). On the drinks front they also have the trusty glasses of free water, so don't feel obliged to buy a drink if you don't want to. Interestingly my milkshake came with a paper straw - the first time I've seen that in the UK - which was welcome after all the Facebook videos telling me I'm going to hell for using plastic anything.

Georgia ate a bacon and avocado bap (shudder) and I had the soup of the day, which turned out to be mushroom risotto. Both were delicious - my soup (or risotto) came with two enormous hunks of bread, and Georgia reports that the avocado was perfectly ripe and a generous portion - which I suppose is a good thing. The bacon I can attest to being quite nice, since for some reason Georgia cuts off the good fatty bits and hands them to me. We didn't stay for dessert, but the buns on offer at the counter looked delicious.

The only things to be wary of are that the outside was very busy when we went (the weather was glorious) so you may need to move quickly to secure a table! Also, the seagulls are a rather brazen lot - while we were there we saw them knock over a mug and make a pass at a woman's cake. The staff did say to her that in the event of theft-by-seagull, they would replace the cake for free, which was really nice of them I thought.

All in all, definitely worth popping in if you are hungry - or even just for a coffee.

Dear Jon_the_Scone,

Thank you for such a lengthy and lovely review. Our team take a lot of pride and care in the job they do and I know that reading your comments will make their day. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your drinks and meals so very much. We've made a lot of big changes in recent months to make our business a more sustainable and environmentally friendly one, and the removal of plastic straws has been a big part of that. I'm sorry that the seagulls were causing trouble outside but it is the summer and they've just had their babies, so cake-pinching is inevitable.

A big thank you, again, from everyone here. I enjoyed reading every word immensely and it makes the job we do all the more worthwhile.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

A friend and I ate here, after a long few days. This was exactly what we were looking for, delish comfort food.

The staff were happy to modify my veggie burger to make it vegan. It was lovely. Highly recommend.

Dear Jes M,

I am so happy to hear that your visit to us was the tonic after a long few days. We try to accommodate dietary requirements where we can and I'm glad that we provided a worthy alternative which you enjoyed. If you're ever passing through Bath again, do pop in and say hello!

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

A very disappointing meal despite quality ingredients and good presentation.
Mums latte that was cold and the replacement wasn’t any better. I had the eggs benedict, toast was cold and so were the eggs. It was although eggs were sitting there for some time as the yolks were hard, cooked completely through.
For something that look so nice with such potential it was a real disappointing.

TellBTP, Assistant Manager at Boston Tea Party Bath Kingsmead Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Matthew O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your meal - which on first impressions looked promising - and turned out to be quite the opposite. Regarding the latte being cold, we steam all of our milk to 60 degrees as standard. Any higher will affect the sweetness and quality of the milk and the taste of the coffee itself. Of course if a customer wants theirs extra hot, we will happily steam it to a higher temperature without protest. I find it very hard to believe that one of our baristas would remake a latte as cold, they will go as hot as they can to avoid any further waste as well as disappointment for the customer.

Concerning your meal I implore that customers voice their opinion at the time so that we can remedy the situation there and then. If you felt that the toast was cold and yolks hard, I wish you had informed your server immediately. They would have exchanged it quickly and with no bother. Every member of staff in this cafe works incredibly hard and reading your review is absolutely gutting because the last thing any one of us wants is for a customer to leave dissatisfied. l wish you'd given us the chance to sort the problems when you were in the cafe but I guess the whole experience was off-putting.

I am sorry that you left unhappy with your breakfasts, I hope this does not put you off dining with us again in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Lovely little breakfast place. My wife had an excellent Eggs Benedict with unexpected, but delightful, greens on top. I had western English breakfast. We both loved our servings. The price was reasonable, the service prompt and we'd strongly recommend.
As important, the setting is beautiful.

TellBTP, Assistant Manager at Boston Tea Party Bath Kingsmead Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

Dear midwest_attorney,

Thank you for your kind words. I remember serving you that morning and it was an absolute pleasure. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Eggs Benedict and West Country breakfast so much, as well as the setting of our little cafe. I hope you had an equally wonderful experience throughout your whole stay in Bath, and wish you the best for the rest of your holiday!