“Luxurious, friendly and welcoming.”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Ludwick House

Ludwick House Apartment sleeping area
The Square, Shrewsbury town centre
Shrewsbury town centre
View of Shrewsbury from the banks of the River Severn
Shrewsbury town centre showing the loop of the river Severn
One of the many medieval passages in Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury Abbey less than 5 minutes walk from The Ludwick Apartment
The view from Shrewsbury Castle
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Katrin070...
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Luxurious, friendly and welcoming.”
Reviewed 26 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

This was a joyful stay in clean, friendly atmosphere and well located studio apartment. A surprise welcoming breakfast package waited for us. Beautifully furnished and comfortable king size bed. Loved it!

Your age range 50-64
27 Jun 2015
Thai you so much for such a positive review, it means a lot to us. I am only sorry we were on holiday during your stay.
Ian Doran
artemis58
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A gem of a place....”
Reviewed 31 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015

A very well equipped studio flat, comfy king sized bed, large fluffy towels, breakfast welcome pack provided which was thoughtful. Off road parking which is not always available in Shrewsbury. A ten-minute stroll into town down the main road, but the side roads offer a nicer outlook if you have time. Quarry Park is on the other side, through town centre and is a lovely place to stroll. There are plenty of cafes so you will not be short of tea and cake. Ian and Vanessa are very friendly and helpful.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Hard to choose, but the massive comfy bed comes close.
Liked least: After a hard day's wandering, the road back was slightly uphill!
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
31 May 2015
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to review our apartment, your positive comments are real boost to Vanessa and I.
Lottie L
London, United Kingdom
“A fabulous studio apartment with lovely hosts”
Reviewed 28 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

We simply cannot fault Ludwick House. Before our arrival, owner Ian answered our queries about Shrewsbury and he was very welcoming after a long journey from London!

Advertised as a self-catering studio apartment, we were delighted to find delicious bread, jam, marmalade, eggs, butter, fresh milk and orange juice and tea and coffee provided, free of charge. The kitchen was fully functional with everything you might need to cook, although we went out to explore Shrewsbury that night. We had a great night's sleep in a super king bed with a comfortable feather duvet and squishy pillows.

The studio apartment is set back from the road and is about a 10-15 minute stroll into the town itself over the river Severn. We took a taxi back to the station, which was £4 as the station is the other side of town so perhaps a little too far to walk with bags.

All in all, this was a fantastic stay, great value and far more than the self-catering studio apartment we were expecting. We have paid far more to stay in places not half as nice with this!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Modern facilities in period property - and fantastic owners
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
29 May 2015
Thank you, what a lovely review, you are certainly welcome here anytime
Susan O
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Recommended!”
Reviewed 27 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
person found this review helpful

Very impressive studio apartment. Modern kitchen and bathroom even though it is in a lovely old house. Everything has been thought of to provide all the home comforts. Really huge, fabulous, comfortable bed. We had a great nights sleep even thought is near the main road it is quite set back. Never heard a thing from the owners even though they had family staying, very peaceful. Wifi came in very useful as did the welcome pack, bread (which was lovely), butter, juice, jams, tea, coffee, milk as well as little extras. I would urge anyone who is thinking of booking to go ahead and do it. We loved our stay and hope to return one day soon!

Liked best: Comfort and peace
Liked least: Just slightly out of town
28 May 2015
Thank you so much for such a kind positive review....we look forward to seeing you again some other time
June V
Kelso, United Kingdom
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 24 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

I am a well travelled, retired (but fairly fit) female and, having recently returned from a 7 night stay at Ludwick House at a cost of £400 I would say that my expectations did not match the research I did beforehand.

From the picture on the website of the outside of the property I expected to turn off Abbey Foregate onto a manicured tarmac forecourt in front of a pristine house but in fact you turn off Abbey Foregate (a busy main road) onto the back and side of the property up a tarmac drive.

I chose Ludwick House because it is described as “a short walk from the centre of the County Town of Shrewsbury” and “within easy walking distance of Shrewsbury” because I had already bought train tickets to Birmingham and thought I could walk to the train station. On my first day there I tried the walk and it took me 30 minutes to walk into the centre of Shrewsbury which included walking up a very steep hill and a further 10 minutes to walk to the train station which included walking up two very steep hills and down one steep hill. However, on my way I discovered that for £2.10 each way I could take a bus from Abbey Foregate into the bus station which is just a few hundred yards from the train station so did that on the day I was going to Birmingham. However, it seems that most buses stop at 6pm and I only just managed to get a bus back at about 7pm which dropped me off part of my way back.

From the cost, descriptions and photographs on the Ludwick House website I expected the “apartment” to consist of a kitchen/dining/sitting room, a bedroom and a bathroom (ie 3 rooms) - described on the website as (direct quote) “Condo/Apartment – 1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 4” but the “apartment” is in fact just one room with a separate bathroom which was not evident to me from the first three websites I checked before booking. However, on the day before I left I checked another website and discovered that cooking/eating/sitting and sleeping were all in the same room.

A couple of observations are that the fire on the wall in the photographs does not appear to have switches and does not appear to produce any heat – only a flame and I could not get the microwave to work even though it was a very simple process. I assumed it was broken and just used the oven rather than mention this to the owners. Also there were only 4 coathangers and 2 trouser hangers in the cupboard and I found a pair of grey rolled up socks in a drawer which leads me to believe that the drawers had not been checked before I arrived.

Other than that, the “apartment” was well equipped as you would expect from any holiday home and the bed was absolutely fantastic with lovely down duvet and crisp cotton duvet cover and pillowcases. However, the floor was laminated with rugs dotted about and one rug often slipped as I got out of bed which I thought rather dangerous.

All in all, the owners were very welcoming but this “apartment” was not what I expected for the money I had paid.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The bed was wonderful
Liked least: cooking and sleeping in the same room
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
26 May 2015
I am sorry our apartment didn't live up to your expectations, but I would like to point out that we make it 100% clear on our website that it is a studio apartment. The microwave oven is brand new and works perfectly, and the electric fire has 2 switches on the side that operate and control the unlt.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing