“Great short break in a wonderful log cabin.”
other travellers have booked this property
Rural retreat
Spacious dining and kitchen area Spacious living area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Rural retreat
Spacious dining and kitchen area
Spacious living area
The callow
Rent all Three log cabins and meet up with family or friends
Don't forget your sledge
Spend Christmas with us
Woodland trek
Lucy enjoying the sun
Large Shower
South Shropshire Hills
Woodland trek
The bluebells in Rowans wood
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
DianeBugd...
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Great short break in a wonderful log cabin.”
Reviewed 4 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

This is a great place to stay for a relaxing break. The scenery is breathtaking. The log cabin very comfortable, well equipped and clean. Lots of places to visit a short drive away. Jackie went above and beyond what would be expected to help us out when our car broke down. I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys a 'get away from it all' type experience.
Jerry and Diane

Travelling group: Extended Family
11 May 2016
you were very welcome so glad you enjoyed your stay ,hope you'll be back soon .
Juggatheh...
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“A Pleasant short experience”
Reviewed 31 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

The major plus this cabin (1 of 6) , is its prime location way up in the isolation of the hills behind Shrewsbury. I was taken aback by how remote it actually was- but for me this was a massive positive, especially as it was so quiet and free from road traffic noise etc.

The journey to the nearest pub shop or town was sufficient enough (being tiny narrow roads of some steep inclines) to make sure that you didnt forget your provisions whilst out on the days events! For us this wasnt an issue but I imagine for some people it might be quite a problem and inconvenience.

We took our 6 year old grandaughter away just for 2 nights there- kept short as it was her first expedition without her parents. Luckily she is adept at making her own amusement, as apart from the joy of the ponies in the field aside the cabin, there was little for her to do. For the first time we went to a rental where no games, cards, or even books were provided and that was a little disappointing.

In fact, this small issue was atypical with the rest of the furnishing and provision of the cabin, which can at best only be described delicately as "spartan". Yes, what there was there was clean enough-it was just that there was so much more that could have been improved on for the clients to make their stay so much more enjoyable.

It hardly seems fair to make such a negative list, but I would example the cutlery and kitchen implements, basic to say the least- in fact the tin opener was totally malfunctional. The 3 seater leather-look sofa had the centre section with totally broken springs and was impossible to sit on that section. In the bedroom there was no bedside tables or lamps so stuff had to be put on the floor. Flies were constant companions although the ponies and their waste deposits in the field aside the cabin no doubt attracted these so the owner can hardly be called to account for that-BUT you would then have expected at least a fly spray or fly papers wouldnt you? With flat screen tvs running at a couple of hundred pounds, it seems a little mean i think to expect customers to view on the tv provided which had a screen the same size as my laptop.A guests comments book is not present and this gave me cause to consider why not.

As I said, its spartan in terms of furnishings and provision and whilst it certainly hadnt fallen anywhere near the neglect category, we did get the feeling that little innovation or thought is made towards improving the lot of the customers and their requirements. Almost as if they just had got into a circle of routine that they had little inclination to break as long as the money keeps coming in...

A feature that I felt needed headlining quite seriously and is not made clear in their advert is that these cabins are NOT suitable for the disabled! You need to carry all your cases and provisions from the car park down a steepish woodchipped slope to your cabin (a minimum of 50 yards depending which one you are in) and then the 4 narrow steps up to the door are also very difficult and care is needed. Fortunately my wife and grandaughter were there to act as sherpas on this occasion but I imagine it may be a shock for some if they have no such assistance available (and none was offered btw) It SHOULD however be made clear in their advertising dont you agree?

SO- to the good bits -and there were many, as we DID enjoy our time there although I have to say I was glad it was only for 2 nights, any longer would have been too much. As I said, the views were magnificent! The natural beauty cannot NOT be appreciated surely, and the wildlife was profuse.(loved going to sleep with the tawny owl hooting in the old oak behind us) The area around is also beautiful to drive around and surprisingly scenic. The delight of the ponies was something else! My grandaughter fell in love with them-and thought they had fallen in love with her too as they followed her up and down the field fence. Myself I suspected the bag of carrots and apples she carried might have influenced them however! lol

What made it for me personally (as I need a certain amount of rest on the bed due to spine issues)was that the WiFi not only worked but had a strong signal-wonderful! Phone signals are weak however and a bit come and go-but may depend upon your provider-we are on EE.

The owners seem a little "disconnected" with the running of the place. There was a "confusion" on arranging the booking that didnt feel right tbh (I wont bother elaborating) but as an innocent party I overlooked by the time we arrived. But the welcome on arrival was, shall we say," ok but minimal", and nothing at all after that. Nothing to be too uncomfortable with granted- but then neither did the warm welcome get extended that we are accustomed to at many other rentals we attend.

With just a little modification of practices and provisions, these could well be very desirable rentals indeed purely on the location, but as it stands Im afraid there is probably enough shortcomings there to make it unlikely that I personally will not return. Perhaps this set up is geared entirely at the riding community and those interested only in the horses? Although looking at other residents there this didnt seem to be the case and I didnt in fact see any caravans of horses roaming across the vista either....

We took the rather long trip to Barmouth to occupy the hours on one day- and as it was our first visit there we were pleasantly surprised at the lovely scenic journey and also the beaches there- well worth the trip.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, scenery and wiFi
Liked least: lack of furnishings
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
1 Jun 2015
thanks for reviewing our property we are sorry and surprised you didn't enjoy your stay ,however we do appreciate your point of view and feel its only fair to respond to the negative issues in your review
we do have a well stocked library of books and games in the reception cabin on the yard information on how to access them is in the information folder in the cabin the one with the wi fi code in you may have missed this
the T V well we feel its big enough with spectacular views and wildlife we don't feel the need for large T V a matter of taste we did toy with the idea of not providing T V at all ,
sparseness of the furniture we also feel there is sufficient as do are previous guest as you will see from the reviews maybe its just a matter of taste we don't all like the same things,
It does concern me that you didn't feel the need to make us aware of the tin opener not working or the settee being broken, we were unaware that it was as were the previous guests however we do have a stock of spare tin openers which we could have replaced , the settee was broken when you left it maybe would have been better to point this out during your stay , but never mind it is being repaired now, as I write
The flies well its the country side and the time of year maybe we are just used to them ,Sorry as we do are best to be eco friendly and of course for health and safety reasons we don't use fly spray we do provide a plastic fly swatter in the cupboard under the sink. but i will take on board your idea about the fly papers.
on the listing it does say not suitable for restricted mobility or wheel chair users see the listing below where it also says great for children and pets welcome however I will take your comments on board as you obviously missed it other guests might so I will clarify that, the photos on the listing also show the bark paths which we used again to be eco friendly low impact on the environment,
Its unfortunate that you didn't think we gave you a welcome I met you when you arrived you were out at the coast the next day then left the next when you handed the keys over to me personally you all said you had enjoyed your stay , so I agree we didn't see much of you , you only booked for two nights . but I am sure other guest will agree your on holiday and surly want some peace we are always on hand in the house if you needed anything
the comment about it being a case of just keep taking the money well we are a family business trying to make a living and work hard at it I am sorry if that was the impresion you got , but if you dont talk to us we assume your happy, the issue with your booking was entirely my fault for not updating the calendar quickly enough after we had a cancelation as we don't usually take bookings for two nights mid week and apologies for that ,you did find us on the website as well and it clearly says ideal for walking riding cycling which wasn't what you wanted to do ,however at least you enjoyed the spectacular views and the free brilliant wi fi and of course the ponies ., and I hope your dog at least enjoyed the open spaces .

Children

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Travelling group: Teenagers
21 Apr 2014
you are most welcome glad you enjoyed your stay come back soon
womble203
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
“Shropshire's Secret”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

We had 3 cabins over the New Year period and had an absolute ball. All the cabins were well equipped and much more luxurious than expected. The kitchens had all you needed, the beds were comfy and the showers were powerful and hot! and despite the wind and the rain, we were all toasty warm.
The views from each cabin were amazing and it was the perfect setting to wake up to a New Year.
The owners were friendly and very helpful and we really couldn't have picked a better spot for our New Year celebrations.

Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
Sarah B
Iom
“lovely relaxing stay”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 for a stay in December 2013

stayed here for a long weekend, the views from cabin were to die for. Ponies in field in front of the cabin were lovely. cabin was very warm with central heating. Disappointed i couldnt do horse riding due to bad back.
i found bed bit uncomfortable, but that probably down to personnel preference. If you looking for secluded peace and quiet then this is the place to stay.
My two collie dogs enjoyed they holiday too.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the views from the cabin and the ponies
Liked least: beds and bedding uncomfortable
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
11 May 2016
great that you enjoyed your stay
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing