“Thursday lunch”

Ranked #8 of 96 Restaurants in Ludlow
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The French Pantry - bar and bistro. Under new ownership as of April 2018 - refurbished restaurant and bar premises, offering coffee and breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks too. Walled courtyard as well! Serving French food, with a frequently changing menu (whatever we decide to cook in the morning!) - come and discover what we have to offer!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

This restaurant had been refurbished under new ownership and reopened in May. Not a particularly French menu and very disappointing. We intended to have starters and desserts. I ordered Garlic prawns as a starter - 4 prawns overcooked, a small dressed salad and a hunk of rustic bread but no garlic butter to dip the bread in so very dry,and this was £7! My husband had a baked Camembert but this had been microwaved he thought,and tasted quite sour.

We skipped the desserts and coffees!

Habib M, Owner at The French Pantry - Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Many thanks for your review of The French Pantry from your visit on Thursday 28th June. The most disappointing factor is that our Front of House asked you if everything was satisfactory with your lunch and I believe you did not express any of your views. Now in out 8th week of operation, we strive to rectify any disappointment or concern - and I would have more than happily discussed the above with you. The prawns as you state, were a starter portion. I apologise if you believe that the prawns were overcooked - but four prawns, with the dressed salad and bread, is an ample starter for our customers, with no other complaints received - and the hot garlic prawns being one of our most popular lunchtime offerings. The menu does state that a larger portion is available as a main.

Our camemberts are sourced from a reputable cheese supplier and I can assure you that they are not microwaved. As I express above, you did not highlight your disappointment on the day - but have instead chosen the avenue of Trip Advisor. This means I did not have the opportunity to offer you desserts or coffee free of charge for example - or take any action to remedy your views.

It would be lovely to think that you would give us the opportunity to host you again - and as always, I would urge any customers who are disappointed in their food or experience, to please let us know on the day - so that we can do something about it.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Pleasant friendly atmosphere. Good sized portions. Very tasty. Vegetable and bread extra as sides but possibly not needed due to size of main. Only disappointment was the £2 charge for water.

Habib M, Owner at The French Pantry - Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Many thanks for your recent review. I'm pleased to see and read that you found the food both tasty and served in good portions too! Tap water is of course available, so I apologise if you were served still water instead of tap water - as this would account for the £2 charge. Thank-you again for your feedback however.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We booked a table for four following recommendation from someone at Pilates’s.
Did not know what to expect and never looked at menu before we visited, so a little surprised that it was only a fixed menu of two or three courses. The choice was limited but varied enough to satisfy all of us. Three did choose the Duck and were not disappointed. We also choose the house white wine, which was very pleasant.
Please note that you have to pay extra for vegetables, potatoes. I choose the Beef Bourguignon, which did not come with anything else and an extra £3.50 to add veg or potatoes or bread to this dish may seem a little excessive considering the price for three courses.
Staff very welcoming and compact restaurant.

Habib M, Owner at The French Pantry - Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Many thanks for your review and comments following your recent visit. It's good to see that you were recommended to visit. We do our best to ensure that our smaller menu, still provides good variety and hopefully something of interest to all tastes. We prefer a smaller menu, which changes daily depending on what we decide to cook - rather than a larger menu. The confit duck is certainly one of our most popular choices.

I'm pleased to read that you found the new house white wine to be very pleasant.

Regarding the fixed choice menu of two or three courses in an evening, this is a concept inherited and carried over from the previous owners, following our purchase of the business 8 weeks ago. On the whole, it is well received - although it is a concept which we are considering changing in the future. In the meantime, we continue too provide large portions of the main dish, with the option for people to select a side of bread, vegetables or potatoes. The vast majority choose to share a side between two or more.

Finally, I'm very happy to read that you found our staff to be welcoming.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

Reserved before our journey and as we were staying opposite the restaurant we called in to select our table. Food was very good as was the service. Need to sort out an aperitif menu, but that apart I would certainly go back.

Habib M, Owner at The French Pantry - Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Thanks for your recent feedback on your visit to The French Pantry. I will certainly ensure that we sort out an aperitif menu in due course - in the meantime, thank-you for your kind comments regarding the food and service.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Called into Ludlow on the way to Wales as it had been recommended. Stopped off for lunch at the French Pantry.
The place was quirky, small and wasn’t busy .
Two of the pork casserole which nice but not exiting - needed more pork. One of us had Salad Nicoise which looked great but didn’t have anchovies which I thought was a main ingredient of this classic dish.
Overall a pleasant lunch!

Habib M, Owner at The French Pantry - Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Many thanks for your recent review of The French Pantry - I'm pleased to hear you had a pleasant lunch overall - but it is of course disappointing to read that you felt there was room for improvement. We always do our utmost to ensure that there is lots of the local pork within each portion of the traditional Normandy Pork Stew - but apologise if you felt that there wasn't enough. With regards to Salad Nicoise, there are several recipes for this - and ours does not use Anchovies. Thank-you for your comments regarding the premises being quirky - which I will take as a positive. Hopefully you will visit us again should you be passing through Ludlow in the future.