“More interesting than normal Italian”

Maranello's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 1 605 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: An authentic, charming hideaway brimming with Mediterranean charm, Maranello's offers the finest in traditional Italian dining. Freshly tossed pizzas, moreish pasta dishes and simple yet sumptuous antipasti dishes are served, and the wine list compiles a selective, top-quality Italian selection. Reminiscent of a quaint Tuscan bistro, the dining room features exposed red bricks, Mediterranean hues and rustic wine displays.
Reviewed 1 May 2018

We went for a friend's birthday recently. Maranello's has been there as long as I've been in Sheffield. My understanding is that it does southern Italian (Puglian?) food. Certainly, whilst there are some Italian restaurant staples on the menu, they're not all there, and the rest is more quirky than most places.
It's not a big place, and tables are fairly close together. That meant we chatted happily to other diners as well as with one another.
The starters and mains were either good or very good. The pick of them was a lamb main, agnello siculo, which went fell to pieces beautifully, and was acclaimed by all of us. We washed it down with an excellent full bodied Salice Salentino, which I will keep an eye for from now on. Not quite in Primitivo di Manduria punch-you-in-the-face robustnessness, but getting there. Lovely.
Two negatives. One was that they poured some of my lamb dish over the table, forcing me into evasive action, and seemed remarkably unconcerned about having done so. Second, the deserts (bar the tiramasu) looked very much like they'd bought them in. And my other half said the tiramasu wasn't quite on the money in any event. Still, we agreed we'd happily go back. Cost, including wine and a tip, came to about £35 a head for 3 courses.

1  Thank James_Tringham

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Visited for my birthday on Saturday, absolutely amazing food and atmosphere! We had the Gamberi and Bruschetta to start followed by the Crepello and my husband had the pollo tagliatelle. My crepello was absolutely divine! Really enjoyed and will be back!

4  Thank Jess G
Reviewed 28 January 2018

This was a family visit for a joint Birthday and engagement party. The restaurant is fantastic, a very authentic traditional Italian restaurant. The owner, Alfredo, could not have done more for us, he is so attentive and pre-empted our every need. The service from him was absolutely excellent. The food is superb and every meal we had for every course was a 10/10 or better. We will definitely be visiting again and plan to book more parties here together in the very near future!

Thank you Alfredo for such a brilliant experience and celebration.

4  Thank lesleyrowlands
Reviewed 26 January 2018

My wife and I visited Maranellos again last night Thurs 25/1/18.
As ever the food and wine were excellent as was the service.
This is our most favourite Italian restaurant with excellent vegetarian choices and my wife says the sea bass is the best she has had anywhere----always an excellent evening.

4  Thank VeggieSheffield
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner have been many times before and visit Maranellos as regularly as we can. We went last night and had a brilliant meal. My partner is a chef so can be picky at times however even he struggles to fault the food. He always has steak as it is always cooked perfectly and is very tasty. We are always treated very well in there and recently have been as part of larger groups for birthdays etc and the service and food has always been at a very high standard. If you’re looking for a nice traditional Italian then look no further.

3  Thank Hrds1234