“Local”

The Spread Eagle
Ranked #327 of 702 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Perfect for a few beers . The quality is excellent and the goat curry is amazing. I’m happy I love near it and the staff are very courteous

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Hey this is my 200th review here, so I'm going to try and do my best to make it good.

It's a really friendly pub, but everyone is made to feel welcome even if you've never been there before. I've been several times but probably don't count as a real regular, even though I only live a 10 minute walk away. I suppose I should go more often, though I don't often go out at night on my own.

They have quiz nights (which I hate), and karaoke (eugh) so I avoid those nights even though the guy that does the quiz night is a good friend of mine.

There is usually a really good selection of ales, ciders, and lagers. I prefer the ales but have recently developed a taste for Guinness having recently been to Dooblin and had the real thing.

There are usually plenty of places to sit in what would in the old days have been called the lounge bar. There is also a saloon bar but that's too noisy and rowdy for us. Staff are always attentive, friendly, and patient in dealing with the drunks - which has included me on more than one occasion!

Beware of the steps going down to the loos, if you've had a few these can catch you out. The loos can be a bit smelly, a few more air freshener tablet things would help there.

There's tables out the front where you can smoke.

We have often eyed up the menu boards and said we'll try them but somehow we haven't yet done so. Our bad.

Fantastic pub, a real proper locals pub but welcoming to everyone, right in the heart of the top end of the streets from Oxford Road. It is a little bit haunted, but the ghosts can't harm you, they're what we call residual energy, just energy left behind from previous locals, they're very friendly and can't hurt you. Maybe say hi one day to the old chap that sits in the alcove area facing out to the front of the pub.

One of the best pubs in Reading and very agreeable prices. Go there!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Right,I popped into the spread for a bite to eat and had the all day breakfast and honestly I was blown away by the quality of the breakfast I got...it was delicious...it was very surprised,staff wer very chatty and giggly,an all round a good experience

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

I visited on a day that Liverpool v Spurs and Wales V England were on TV. Saturday 5pm. On arrival I asked the bar maid which TV was going to be allocated for the football? Her response was "I don't know". I then tried to explain to her that we wanted to order food but was told that I needed a table, I then pointed out to her the problem. She then said that I would need to wait until the game started and at that point grab a table and then order our food.
I've never experienced anything like this. Major failure in organization!! I don't know what's happened in here but the pub seems to be lacking leadership.
Eventually a decision was made, and as luck would have it, it was in our favor. However the group of 10 sitting in front of us were very upset and ended up finishing up the drinks and walked out in protest with the bar staff shrugging it off.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

Visited this pub for food and drink this week as I was working in the area good atmosphere nice and friendly staff. Had different types of food every night and all cooked great looked nice as well ..good choice of beer and other drinks. If working in the area again will definitely have to go back

Date of visit: February 2017