“Proper no nonsense cafe. ”
Review of The Gorge Cafe

The Gorge Cafe
Ranked #97 of 687 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Called in here whilst walking the Thames Path, which is 100m away. It had been recommended by locals.
The cafe was busy with regulars. Some large plates of food were being served.
I just had a tea and a bun, but finished with fresh coffee.
The staff were friendly and efficient .
A must if you're in the area for breakfast or brunch.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 12 March 2018

The food is always outstanding(and accommodating as someone with many allergies can personally attest to) The staff are friendly and facilitating in what is already a friendly town(I've lived in SE London, Essex and Germany - so I know rude, trust me on that) the prices are OK but the quality of service more than makes up for it! If I were showing an outsider like me the cafe to go...this would be it!

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Jamie S
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I love coming here for a proper English breakfast. The staff are so friendly and helpful and give great service with a smile. The food is tasty and always comes out promptly.
Inside is really cosy and decorated in the style of a cave! There is also seating outside which is great in summer.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I regularly take a walk along the Thames on a Sunday morning. This morning I decided to pop in here for an ‘early bird’ breakfast. This is reasonable value at £4.10 for 1 each of bacon, egg, sausage, beans and toast, with tea or coffee included.

I asked for coffee... but the server started pouring tea... I stopped him immediately and reminded him that I had asked for coffee.

He took the mug behind the counter, so I couldn’t see what he was doing... then I saw him spooning something into the mug... brought it back to the hot water dispenser half full, and filled it.

I stuck my head around the counter, and the original mug was not there, and no other hot water dispenser. It appears that he just put a heaped spoon of coffee into the half mug of tea, and tried to pass it off as a fresh coffee!

I challenged him and he insisted it was a fresh coffee... though there was no sign of where the half mug of tea had gone.

I took the breakfast which was delicious, but left the tea/coffee mixture where it was!

Needless to say, I won’t be back!

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank TJ267
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Decent breakfast, very popular with local workers standard choices of food for the type of cafe make a nice mug of tea too.

Date of visit: January 2018