“Dissapointing”

Standard Nepalese Tandoori
Reserve with OpenTable
Standard Nepalese Tandoori is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 684 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Indian, Nepalese
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Reading's Original Tandoori Restaurant serving the finest blend of Nepalese and Indian Cusine since 1980. Diners can enjoy famous Nepalese Hospitality in a warm welcoming modern interior accented with traditional decor with spacious seating arrangements for large parties, families or a romantic dinner for two.Our menu highlights some of the authentic dishes served in Kathmandu as well as traditional Indian favourites. Using traditional methods to prepare our special spices creates the unique flavour you will find in our blend of cuisine.
Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

Service was no more than okay, the waiters didn’t seem to understand what we were saying. My tandoori was swimming in oil, meat was fatty and tough and there was only one Nepalese item on the menu despite advertising as an Indian / Nepalese restaurant. The restaurant was cold so I asked for a cup of hot water. Despite asking two members of staff for this hot water nothing came.

One positive would be that they provided me with an alternative dish when I explained the oil in my dish was excessive.

I won’t return.

1  Thank Doggy D

Reviewed 14 July 2018

The service here is truly excellent. The staff greeted us with smiles and looked after us extremely well. They know their menu well and it is definitely worth asking them for recommendations. Everything they recommended was fantastic. While I have had better Indian / Nepalese food, the food here is pretty good. I highly recommend the Momos (both vegetarian and chicken) and the dish called 'Dry Fry Standard Super' ( A chicken dish). It was the waiter's recommendation. The food could be a little spicier for my liking, but I think if you ask for that, they would probably do it for you. I guess the best recommendation I can give is that after eating there once, we returned the following evening for our final dinner in Reading.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Being a regular here, I thoroughly enjoy their authentic Nepali and Indian cuisine which complements their great service.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I've been going to the Standard for more than 20 years and it's always been good, but the last visit was absolutely excellent for both food and service. It was great value too, and well worth a visit whether you are a new or existing diner.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Reading lacks an absolutely perfect "Indian" (in the classic British sense of a Punjabi/Bengali/Nepali mix) but Standard Tandoori is among the better options. Bhoj, with it's more Punjabi focus, was probably the cream of the crop, but has now closed, leaving the Bengali-slanted Sizzling Spice and the Nepali-focussed Standard sitting atop the pack. Reading is really much better served with the more uncommon (in Britain) corners of Subcontinental cuisine. Chennai Dosa (Sri Lankan) is fantastic, as are the firmly Nepalese Himalaya Momo House and Dhaulagiri Kitchen. Standard Tandoori advertises itself as Nepalese and does some Nepalese food, but there's a good selection of the Punjabi and Bengali food that's more standard fare for the British curry house as well, meaning that I prefer to group it with Bjoj, Sizzling Spice, Miah's, House of Flavours, Royal Tandoori, and Pappadams rather than with the aforementioned purely Nepali establishments. It's all a bit of a spectrum.

Onto the restuarant itself. The room is pretty sumptuous to a point that's nearly a bit suffocating but not quite. It manages to be just airy enough to be okay. The menu is nicely laid out and easy to understand, which is less common than I'd prefer. The food is just all pretty nice stuff - well above the average for this type of establishment. Compared with the oversweet disaster that is Miah's (I wrote a glowing review of it over three years ago but it has gone severely downhill since), the poor service and uninspiring food of Royal Tandoori, or the overyhyped nonsense at House of Flavours, Standard Tandoori really does stand out. If you're actually looking for Nepalese food, then there's more variety and they do it better at either Momo House or Dhaulagiri Kitchen - oddly it's the more Indian food at which Standard Tandoori excels. Service is always good to boot. I reccomend it.