See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The only place I felt having a wash would only make me dirtier. I struggled to get into bed and sleep with all the dirt around me and gives me a shudder even as I type this.

There was grot and mould everywhere. Avoid.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank bobbym407
Reviewed 13 February 2018

A polite welcome. The bed was very comfortable and the linen of a good standard. Nice quiet area. Nice gardens but with only a table seating 4 looked as if they were not fully made use of. Tea on the lawn could easily boost income for this privately run hotel. I didn't see the breakfast room and was unaware of whether there was a bar. A little talking through the facilities on offer (if any) would help the owner to market his hotel. The room was not easily accessible. There were several fire doors positioned so close to stair cases as at one point to be opening over them making it very difficult to access when carrying luggage. No assistance offered with bags. The furnishings were quite run down What may have made a nice single room provided a double bed pushed against a wall, which is not really suitable for an older couple who might need to use the bathroom in the night. Although wished a good day on leaving, I was not asked how my stay was. Other hotels are keen to know this as well as at least proving a phone number so as if anything was needed you wouldn't need to trek down several flights of stairs Too few handrails for anyone with infirmity in the legs.

Date of stay: June 2017
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

After reading all the bad reviews, I was worried about staying here with work. But I'm pleased to say my stay was very pleasant. Bedroom was small but clean, bed was clean and comfy on suite shower worked. Great value for money would stay again and 15 mins walk to centre of reading. Friendly and helpful staff too.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Jaz121, Manager at Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

I Was put here by work after booking on booking.com.
Oh my lord. What a dump.
I arrived at about 4pm and started off by tripping over an old gin bottle that had been thrown in the car park.
I went in to the lobby and rang the bell.
Too my horror a young boy in his school uniform, aged about 10, looked up over the counter. I asked if his parents were available as I wanted to check in. He handed me a bit of paper and asked me too fill in my details. Reluctantly I did this and he handed me my key for my room, room 17.
Once I found it on the first floor, I opened the door and gasped.
I have seen larger broom cupboards.
I put my bag down and there was no room left on the floor space. The carpet had dust and fluff all around the skirting boards and the quilt cover smelt of poo and was falling apart.
Too top it off the small window had a broken handle so wouldn’t open.
The walls were paper thin and I could hear the TVs in all adjoining rooms.
It was that bad that I skipped the breakfast that had been paid for and left as soon as I was able too.
This place is a total dump and I would not even board my dog there.

AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2017

This hotel looks so tired. It is based on a lovely old building and should be so much better. I also think the owners could get their staff to have better manners. I booked a lady in last week. The receptionist was unsmiling and announced "only the guest could go to the room". I understand that they might think that someone might try and sneak in a second person but it could be handled politely. I would have liked to carry her bags up for her. None of it felt welcoming. Shame really because it was a good price and it's well located for Reading Town Centre.

Date of stay: August 2017