“£1.75/Calamari ring? Really.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Wanted to get the best bang for my buck, ordered toad in the hole, out of stock.

Was left with the dreaded calamari rings.

Will I get 3/4/5?

The answer is 3, 3 calamari rings for £5.

Gracias Old Bell, I won’t be returning.

Date of visit: September 2018
Rachel D, Guest Relations Manager at Old Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Good evening Christian,

I am sorry that the food you ordered and received, did not meet the standards that you would expect when dining out. All food which is cooked and served at The Old Bell is to the exacting standards set out to us.

The Old Bell welcomes all feedback, negative and positive and we thank you for sharing your experiences. We would like to assure you that your feedback is noted with our Management Team.

If you would like to further discuss your feedback with a member of our management team, please do not hesitate to contact us. We do hope to see you very soon at The Old Bell.

Reviewed 13 September 2018

The staff were able to rearrange our table setting for less people turning up. Food was good and plentiful. Staff helpful and friendly. No pressure to leave once meal finished.

Good evening dwiltcher,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at The Old Bell. I am very pleased that you experienced great service and food from all of our in-house team, which is our main focus here at the Old Bell.

Your comments and feedback will be passed on to all members of staff who were working that evening.
We do hope to see you very soon at The Old Bell.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

I'm a big fan of Chef and Brewer -great food and they accept Tesco vouchers, which is excellent. Hence we made a special trip to try this restaurant out.
It's a beautiful setting- olde worlde, but with a modern feel. it's got lovely outside seating and indoors is spacious and welcoming.
As I say the food is great, Chef and Brewer has a good range of dishes and regular diners will know what to expect.
The big let down was the service. Given it was 4pm on a Saturday afternoon, there weren't that many customers, but it became a bit of a game trying to catch the eye of a member of staff! Even then it took ages for things to happen!
With the greatest respect, you have a great product, but if the service is poor, your customers will not return. We sadly won't be.

1  Thank Karen L

Good Evening Karen,

I am sorry to hear that the service you encountered on your visit did not meet the standard of service that the Old Bell strive to perfect. Customer service is our main focus.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Perhaps we should have taken it as a warning sign when the barman took ages to greet us at the door and then started talking about being almost fully booked while the restaurant sat 2/3rds empty (as it remained).

We were guided to our table and drinks order taken by the barman. It was then a bit of a wait for the waitress to show up. She didn't speak much, took our orders and that was the last we saw of her all evening! Food was brought over by the barman, very average and certainly no better than the local hungry horses. Chips were lukewarm, burger burnt and the halloumi bland. I'd have raised this with our waitress but she was nowhere to be seen.

Once we finished our meal we sat waiting for a good 25+ minutes for our plates to be cleared, another round of drinks to be ordered, a look as the desert menu.. or any combination of the above! As it was; nothing happened, noone showed up and so we paid at the bar and left.

A disappointing experience all round.

Date of visit: August 2018
Anna-Marie L, Guest Relations Manager at Old Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Hi, thank you for the time to write a review and for your feedback, I am sorry you was frustrated by the speed of service when you first arrived and throughout the time you was with us and I will pass your feedback back onto the management team, but please in the meantime please can you contact a member of management on 01189 888348 so we can discuss this matter further but we hope to see you again soon at The Old Bell

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

I visited the old bell as part of a work meal. The food was delicious especially the vegetarian fish and chips (battered halloumi)! The staff go above and beyond to accommodate your needs especially the lovely lady at breakfast (sorry I don’t know your name). The prices are fab especially for a pint which I wasn’t expecting as I live up north.
Will definitely be visiting again.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank ILM23

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your feedback, I am pleased you was looked after by the team and you enjoyed the food, I will pass your feedback back onto the team.
We hope to see you again soon at The Old Bell