“Oxford Day Trip ”

Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Must visit place. This is the oldest coffee shop in England. We just to sit and relax for a while and grab a bite at the oldest coffee shop.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is well-located, and the history and decor are nice enough, but there are other, better places to have lunch or tea.

A Sandwich is £10.

After lunch (nothing special, and the crisps with the sandwich were the dregs from the bottom of the packet), I had to ask for the bill, and after waiting 10 minutes to pay, I went to the front counter and asked to pay so that we could leave. the waitress said "Please go back to your table, I will come to take your payment in a few minutes" !
That was a first for me, and I was literally speechless. Luckily for them, one of the staff was a bit more quick witted and promptly found the payment machine.

Poor service ruins any occasion.

1  Thank Richard N
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A lovely place to stop for a coffee or lunch. Very historic and the decor was
interesting.
Good service and coffee.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Nice atmosphere and friendly staff! The High Afternoon tea was okey, though a bit of a disappointment. For that price I'd expected more variety. Although the scones were magnificent!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I've wanted to invite my friends for cream tea so I was sure this place would be perfect. We arrived and the waitress asked what we want to have and informed us that they don't do drinks only - since we wanted scones, they gave us a table.

We had to wait more than 20 mins for cream tea, the place has lots of tables in rather limited space so it's really noisy. We were finishing our tea and the waitress was waiting at our table putting us under pressure to finish as soon as possible, which was rather rude. I understand that the cafe is busy but it doesn't mean you should treat your clients this way - I'm definitely not coming back as we couldn't enjoy our tea in peace.

The food was very good though.

1  Thank leuveen