“Was it the famous Ashmolean?”

Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology
Ranked #6 of 187 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Oxford University's Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology, established in 1683, is Britain’s oldest public museum and one of the oldest museums in the world.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Upon arrival at Oxford before noon, I went right away to Ashmolean with my carry-on bag (since it was 2 hours before my check-in.

This place had always been among my favorite places to visit (for its Persian artworks collections). It has a few bright sides, of course: the admission is free!...um...

Now, the negatives:
They have lockers in three different sizes for visitors like me (tourists, etc); but the lockers are strangely located on the basement level!! People enter the museum with heavy luggage on the lobby level, now they must go to the basement to use the lockers! and unfortunately the number of lockers are very inadequate. There are only 3 carry-on size lockers, all were occupied on my arrival.

I asked the admission desk staff what I could do and whether I was allowed to tour with my bag, and they said yes. Thank you for your kind understanding so far; however, a very young gentleman approached me after 1 hour and insisted that visiting museum while carrying a carry-on bag is prohibited> I explained the situation, he was not convinced and took me with himself to his supervisor, and she kindly gave me green light to go back to my visit (thanks again).

Collections are very limited (in terms of diversity and size), showing is a bit tasteless, signs reading the room / galleries allocation are very confusing and in some cases inaccurate (for example, it reads Middle East, but you would have collections from other parts and Persian Collections are shown the next room, etc). A Scythian tomb is listed very confusingly.

The building is small and crammed. Renovations has forgotten the staircases between basement and lobby (main entrance), the air ventilation is a myth, the store staff are great but store itself is not special by any standard.

I usually stick to the museums with cyanoacrylate glue; however, this time I was in and out in almost 70 min.

It is a mystery to me why it is not a real museum by any modern standard.

Write a ReviewReviews (4 922)
All reviews
"raphael"
in 87 reviews

24 - 28 of 4 922 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stopped by on a very nice day, so I'm sorry to say we didn't stay as long as we could have on a cloudy or rainy day. It would take a day! Really interesting collection from around the world. They ask for a donation, otherwise it is free.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It's the Ashmo, I could spend a week here! It's a brilliant collection of artifacts and art and it's free to enter but donations are very much welcome.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Ashmolean Museum is very similar, in style, to the British Museum (not in size, though). It displays items from different countries. Worth a visit!