All reviews garden room park bar bose radio city centre fresh milk in the fridge mini bar car park white company small hotel superior room restaurant next door quiet area lovely hotel one night stay wedding reception tea and coffee enjoyable stay
Reviewed 30 December 2015

It is never a pleasure to leave a less than glowing report, especially for an establishment like Hart's that I know has a strong following and I will endeavor to be scrupulously fair and measured.

We live in Rutland and are therefore very familiar with the reputation and standards of Hambleton Hall. We know that Hart's Hotel doesn't claim to be another Hambleton but being within the same "stable" had hoped and expected that standards would be vaguely similar.

The first issues arose at the point of trying to book a room at Hart's. We were two adults and one eight year old child and therefore needed a room withe sufficient space to accommodate us all. Despite several emails and calls in which I explicitly asked for help on understanding room sizes the responses were always vague and suggested either that the front of house staff didn't know the relative sizes of rooms or were being intentionally vague. Anyway we agreed upon room 25 which is apparently a "family room". The 3rd bed attracted an additional charge, not in itself unreasonable but a fairly meaty additional charge per night and therefore expectations were set relatively high. On arrival we found that room 25 was barely able to accommodate an extra "Z bed", the only clothes storage cupboard couldn't be properly accessed with the bed in place. On checking with staff they confirmed that the room was a "family room" and on occasions would accommodate two extra "Z beds" - I wouldn't fancy using the room on such an occasion!

The hotel and room are nice (although see some attached photos of room 25 showing that some of the furniture has seen better days). The staff are all very pleasant but just seem sometimes to be a touch clueless.

Dined in Hart's Restaurant one evening. Really nice food. Not unreasonably they don't have a child's menu but readily offered that we choose one or two things from the main menu that our child would like and they would put together a "child version". I wrongly assumed that a "cut down dish" might attract at least a slightly "cut down price" when compared to the adult equivalent. Wrong, our eight year old's main course was the most expensive of all despite being devoid of any of the nice extra bits of a full adult main.

Similar disappointment at breakfast. Pointedly no child cereals so the £9 breakfast charge for our daughter resulted in her having an orange juice and a slice of toast as she didn't fancy anything else on the menu.

As for my breakfast - pretty good but I must say the muesli seemed pretty average and the white toast to my untrained palette seemed pretty close to Tesco value range bread (brown bread far better).

Overall yes we did enjoy our stay but attention to a series of (in themselves) little things could have lifted it for pretty decent to outstanding. My eight year old (who is far from spoilt and is normally effusive about any hotel) probably summed it up best after a few hours when saying "it isn't really amazing is it".

Room Tip: Be very sure to establish the size of your room is going to suffice if traveling with children.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim L
HartsNottingham, Owner at Hart's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

I'm sorry to hear that your stay didn't live up to expectations on this occasion. We do take guest feedback very seriously and I will make sure that your comments regarding our high quality temporary beds and the cost of child's reduced size portions is fed back to the relevant teams to be discussed and considered further. Tim Hart

Reviewed 22 December 2015

Our Sat Nav had trouble finding the hotel as it took us down a street with a locked gate at the end, fortunately a nice lady rescued us and directed us into the hotel. I must say upon first impressions of walking into reception I was very pleased. This was a birthday treat so I wanted somewhere that wasn't a chain and a bit different as my family were all coming with me for a weekend of shopping, music and eating. We had a family room which was exactly the same size as my son's double room but with a put up bed in so don't really understand the extra £30 charge (£10 - £15 would be a fairer charge) however having said that the rooms are very nice and the bathroom is amazing. The hotel itself is of an excellent standard and having a mini bar/fridge in the room is a good touch. It was a bit out of the way but still only a 10 min walk into town. For a special occasion I would stay here again. Oh and the views are amazing.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue R

Thank you for choosing Hart's Hotel for your birthday treat. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your feedback to my General Manager for review. Tim Hart

Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

Stayed here overnight as was at a big t of a soirée at the adjoining restaurant (good meal - reviewed on TA separately)

Had standard room - small but nicely done

Great bed

Friendly staff

Good breakfast

No complaints - apart from assuming room 24 was on second floor and wandering around for ages before realising there were some rooms in the twenties actually on the first floor too (bit odd :D)

Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank MJH1
HartsNottingham, Owner at Hart's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - with some wonderful comments. I do hope that you choose Hart's Hotel when you are next in Nottingham. Tim Hart

Reviewed 14 December 2015

Went for a celebratory meal after granddaughter's recent graduation, and although we arrived nearly an hour after the booking time, this did not appear to cause any problem. Extensive menu, attentive well trained staff, first class food, well cooked, well served and beautifully presented - with no pressure on time made this a truly memorable occasion.

The only problem was that Hart's car park was on the small side and full, as were all the nearby on street parking slots, so it took quite a time before we managed to be in just the right place to find a space being vacated by another parker!.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank john t

Congratulations on your granddaughter's Graduation. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal and will pass on your positive comments to the Restaurant Manager and his team. We do have limited restaurant parking - however we are also able to offer discounted parking at the NCP car park just around the corner. Tim Hart

Reviewed 6 December 2015

Only spent a night here, but the view was gorgeous!

The room was so cleverly furnished that you could not feel how small it was. Had a very modern feel to it.

The bar was lovely as we were the only one's there - good cocktails! And they served a very nice Japanese whisky.

Breakfast was brilliant.

Definitely going back!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank TheLansiKella
HartsNottingham, Owner at Hart's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2015

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay - particularly our refurbished Park Bar area. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Tim Hart