All reviews sleep spray crash pad nottingham castle boutique hotel white company four poster the penthouse lovely hotel city centre car park coffee machine executive room bar area discounted rate top floor few minutes walk saturday night
Reviewed 14 June 2016 via mobile

I stayed here on business for 1 night. Staff were lovely, hotel is okay if a tad OTT in decor, lots of neon pink and purples. Lift is not good if you are nervous about them - small and very dark with psychedelic carpet and fairy lights in ceiling. Room was clean with everything you need and the bathroom was also clean with nice toiletries. Cocktail menu extensive but they did not have the ingredients for the first few we tried to order. The barmaid was very apologetic and ended up showing us which ones she could make, but all in all it took about 20 mins to get 2 cocktails made. Breakfast was good, bacon was not cooked very well though - not crispy at all. Sausages were lovely as were the pastries.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Chris H, General Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the St James Hotel, your feedback is very much appreciated.

It was pleasing to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was however sorry to read that you were not in favour of the décor throughout the hotel . We do however fully appreciate that interior design is very much down to personal taste.

It was also nice to learn that your bedroom and the facilities met with your expectations, you especially note the nice toiletries.

We are currently in the process of updating our cocktail menu and I am sorry that some of your choices were not available.

Breakfast is an area that we have really focussed on, offering locally sourced quality items and the feedback we receive is generally very positive. I again am sorry if the bacon was not to your liking.

Once again, many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 6 June 2016

I can't rate this place enough. For the price i paid this was far better than more expensive hotels near by. I paid for a standard room but I felt i got more than I expected -free wifi, iron and board, kettle, hairdryer - most hotels charge for this. Also a huge Samsung TV on my wall and a digital click radio with a usb slot for your own mp3 device.

Best thing was the decor, very quirky but still stylish. Staff were very helpful and polite, Very central area, next door to the castle over the road from city centre, great transport links.

Only downside is it was an extra £9 for breakfast. I opted out but would have been nice to be included. Would stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the wrong hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo

Dear guest

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially noting the facilities within your room, the décor throughout the hotel and my helpful and polite staff. I will endeavour to pass your comments on to the rest of my team.

As a very popular hotel we do offer different room rates and offers. These offers are available both direct and also on line. Some of these offers do include breakfast, but we also like to give our guests the flexibility of being able to book breakfast should they wish to do so. This is offered at a very reasonable cost of £9.50

Once again, many thanks for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 6 June 2016

I only needed a "crash pad" for 1 night so
1 - Good price last minute through Hotels.com
2 - Allowed access to room early, when arriving to drop off bags, as room was ready
3 - Everything offered on check-in; breakfast, wake up call, paper etc
4 - Room clean and decor great (kind of sophisticated gentleman's club-y, very nice)
5 - Comfortable sleep; choice of pillows, too hot? there's a fan, too cold? extra blanket/throw in the wardrobe
6 - Polite & friendly staff from reception to housekeeping
7 - Storage for bags on check out without a problem
Great experience & no dramas :)

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, your comments are very much appreciated.

It was great to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that every aspect met with your expectations. I will obviously pass your comments on to the rest of my team.

Once again many thanks for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Third time at this great little hotel. Location is superb. Rooms are furnished to a high level. Great baths. Fab breakfast and friendly staff, especially the bar girls, and the singer friday night was really good. Will keep coming back whenever we are visiting our son

Room Tip: top floor is lovely and quiet
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Lisa

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the St James Hotel, your comments are greatly appreciated.

It was fantastic to read your brilliant comments in relation to your third stay with us. We have worked hard to create a very special boutique hotel so it is especially rewarding to receive such a wonderful review. I will certainly pass your comments on to the rest of my team.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the St James Hotel for your forth stay with us, hopefully in the very near future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

I booked the 4 poster suite to celebrate our wedding day.
The check in staff were polite and helpful and asked a person from the bar came to help me to my room with all my bags!!!
The room was exactly as it looked on the website - a beautiful room!!! The bed was comfortable and very clean, I had to call out maintenance for a flickering light and that was sorted within the hour of letting reception know.
It was a shame the room wasn't on a higher floor. Being one of the st james' luxury options, a city view would have been nice and I cannot begin to explain how annoying the student house across the path from the bedroom was at night. There was some sort of alarm going off for our entire 3 day stay and lots of hustle and bustle when they were coming home from partying. Obviously, the hotel have no control over this so not worth complaining about, but may be helpful to others who book the 4 poster suite to ensure you don't open the windows l!!!

We were greeted into the restaurant for breakfast by a friendly and very professional lady who's sense of humour I found particularly amusing!
As with most buffet breakfast, the hot food was a little on the greasy side and if you were late down it was just warm, dry and chewy. However, the cold selections were very good and the pastries in particular we wonderful. Beautiful crispy and fluffy croissants!!
We also had cocktails in the bar a couple of times. The staff had not yet been trained on how to make certain cocktails which limited our choices, and while it is not their fault, it would have shown better managment to have an experienced member of cocktail making staff to support them.
We were particularly impressed with the level of service the St James team offered us as guests. Every request they tried to meet and always did it with a smile on their face.
I'd particularly like to thank Harley on the bar for being my knight in shining armour. Your serve and professional attitude is really appreciated and I hope that the hotel will make use of your skills effectively. You did an excellent job for our whole stay.
I cannot wait to stay there again!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Chris H, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2016

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the St James Hotel, your comments are very much appreciated.

Firstly I would like to offer you both many congratulations from us all here at the hotel. It was pleasing to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However I do understand that there were one or two minor issues during your stay, these have been noted and will be investigated.

Your disappointment regarding the choice of cocktails available has again been noted and indeed our team in No/6 are as we speak receiving additional cocktail training.

Due to the hotels city location our views unfortunately are of the surrounding properties, however you may perhaps like to book our penthouse suite on your next visit which is located on the sixth floor of the hotel. This suite has amazing views looking out over the city and beyond.

On a positive, it was most pleasing to read your comments in relation to the levels of customer service offered by my team at the St James Hotel, you especially note Harley who helped you with your luggage and Berni my breakfast host. I will of course endeavour to pass on your comments to all of my team.

Once again many congratulations to you both for your future together and thank you for your lovely review and feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the St James Hotel in the very near future., perhaps to celebrate your first wedding anniversary.

Kind regards