Open today: 09:30 - 19:00
Review Highlights
Really average treatment

Received a hot stone massage worth £79 - certainly wasn’t worth this. Thankfully I used a voucher I... read more

Reviewed 31 October 2018
cegrd
via mobile
Day visit to the spa

My daughter and I attened for a spa break, a Christmas present from my son. My voucher was valud... read more

Reviewed 29 October 2018
Suegibbo
via mobile

All reviews spa facilities lovely spa spa break hour treatment poolside cafe robes and slippers sauna and steam room light lunch high standard stayed here claret jug lovely staff golfers
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Great treatments, lunch and the spa area good too. There is a pool, whirlpool, sauna and steam room. Money well spent

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 27 September 2018

Spa was fabulous along with staff all round the area. If you are a golfer ideal hotel. The grounds are amazing

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went for a rare childfree spa break. I had the mini facial and shape and polish fingers. The facial included a very random head massage in which she left a mud mask in my scalp, as we weren’t staying this night and the shower facilities were disgusting, I had to drive home rocking the ‘washedmyhairinachippan’ look. When driving home I found a lot of dead skin round the edge of my face. Wouldn’t have taken much to wipe this off!
My shape and polish was a disgrace. Rushed, uneven and I have never known nail polish to chip so badly. My four year old paints nails better than this.
My husband had the back massage and thought he was having a facial but received a calf massage instead. He was ok with this but felt pain after the massage.
Also there is next to no point in using the lockers I couldn’t unlock mine, so thought I’d got the wrong locker, tried the number in the next one which opened it. Sent for help and the girl said it happens all the time and to leave the open locked unlocked. My husband also said he returned to an open locker! Suppose we have to just trust all guests!!!!

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank sheldownie
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I had so been looking forward to this trip today! I’m having major surgery tomorrow, and my Mum will be taking care of my kids for a few weeks, so I wanted to really treat her to some relaxation before the chaos!

We arrived at the Hall and were welcomed and taken to the relaxation room. Everything seemed beautiful and well kept, and the lady that greeted us, Juanita, was friendly. We filled out our forms and were taken to the changing rooms.

The changing room was small, although lots of lockers available, but many people were gathered around the one small bench that was there to use. Once changed, we went out to the pool to see children. A lot. Of children. The place was packed. It was like being at a public pool. I couldn’t get over how busy it was, and we found it rather difficult to find somewhere to sit. I asked if this was normal? Only to be met with what I later discovered to be the stock response “this is a family hotel”. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a child hater. I have a 4 and 5 year old! I love kids. But not on a “relaxing” spa day! I do feel like this should be mentioned when booking that children are allowed - and that during summer holidays it’s likely to be busy.

I was then told that kids weren’t allowed in between 12 and 2. Wow. Great. I had a treatment at 12, and lunch was from 1.... guess who wasn’t going to benefit from that time of peace!

The treatments were nice. Mandy was very friendly and made great conversation whilst I had my scalp, neck and shoulder massage. The staff took note of my upcoming surgery, and were able to use appropriate products to ensure nothing would cause any issues. Becca was quieter, but my foot rub was lovely. Only negative comment would be the time. A “25 minute” treatment was not a 25 minute treatment. My 10am had be back in the relaxation room by 10:22 (this included consultation, undressing and redressing!) and my 12 noon appointment had me leaving the relaxation room at 12:08, and back in there by 12:28. I don’t even think she started the massage much earlier than quarter past. Now I realise this may seem picky! But really... this is not a 25 minute treatment. They may have 25 minute timeslots to fit into - but this isn’t exactly fair on paying customers.

In between treatments, the only way to get away from the children (who really looked to be having fun - my kids would love their slide to be fair!) was to go in the steam room and sauna. But really. Why bother? The sauna was barely warm. I found myself sitting there wondering whether it was switched on. So we moved to the steam room only to wonder the same thing! There was next to no steam, and it was possibly lukewarm at best. I’m not sure how that works “health and safety” wise - but I’m sure these things are meant to have a minimum temperature.
Oh - and there’s no poolside shower. We had to go back to the changing rooms to wash off from the steam and sauna (although in hindsight this maybe was unnecessary due to the inability to sweat in those temperatures!) But I dread to think how many just head straight into the pool after getting out - without rinsing off. Eww.

We then decided to try and ignore the noise of the families having fun, and relax on our loungers to dry off before treatments. It turned out the kids weren’t the biggest problem. It was the man with the drill! Putting up light fittings or something of that description - not far from our spot. I mean. COME ON! Can this not be done at another time? Like the time they will come back to fix the toilet that was broken in the ladies changing room “Oh sorry, that can’t be fixed until later tonight as all the workmen are men”.
Oh, by the way, when they do come in, you might want them to remove that 1.5inch of thick pole that appears to be sticking out of the floor next to the clothes drier! That’s going to hurt someone! Even with the white bit of plastic around it!

After our second treatment (the one that finished about 11 minutes after it started) we headed to find some food. After a few wrong turns in the rabbit run which is the slightly dated - though charming - looking hotel, we found the restaurant. We were told that the food wasn’t ready, but we were welcome to sit down as long as we waited to be told to go up to the buffet. We sat and waited patiently, only to not actually be told that the food was now open. It was only when others began sitting down with food, that we enquired if it was in fact ok to eat. “Yeah just go”. Wow. Thanks for the heads up!

But maybe waiting wasn’t so bad. Because the food - well not much better. What a bizarre serving for such a grand hotel. The soup, if a little cold, was actually quite lovely. And the bread was nice and warm. The salad bar had a fairly good choice of options. There were a good few drinks to choose from too. Apple, orange, grapefruit and water. However - all warm.

But the main? Well. That left me confused. I wish I had taken a photo - as it was quite odd. Thai green curry was first, then chicken chow mien, THEN rice (note - after the curry, not ideal when in a queue of people wanting rice before the curry) and finally - and bowl of halved baked potatoes. That was it. I mean - eh? What exactly is the potato meant to go with? It just didn’t make any sense. And don’t even get me started on how cold it all was! The curry had ran low, so a new one was put down fresh on front of me, and I was the first to take a spoonful. Cold. Even though I’d almost burned my hand taking the plate from the plate holder - that wasn’t enough to warm the food through.

All in all, I am pleased I paid a “discounted” rate of £120, because if I’d paid the supposed full price I would have been kicking off. This is no small fee for me, a student with 2 kids heading into 3 months off work without pay. But I really wanted to show my mum how much we appreciate all her help. All I can say is thank goodness she knows my heart was in the right place - because that place - was not right! I wish I had booked another spa. Instead of spending a full day of relaxation, we sat in a plethora of noise, we were underdone on our treatment times, and then ate a cold lunch. We were in the car leaving by 13:45.

My advice to anyone looking to book - try Seaham Hall, Rockcliffe Hall, or one of the others. You’re not missing much unfortunately.

2  Thank Avcaj
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

This is my 4 th time here, it cost £109 for dinner, bed, breakfast, use of spa and 45 min treatment. When we arrived the concierge did not open door which normally they are welcoming. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful, our room was fine, and very clean. We did try to get an up grade but with no luck! The evening meal was really nice apart from the bakewell tart which was extremely dry and we could not eat it as it tasted old. We told the waitress who just said she would let the chef know, would have been a nice gesture to offer a replacement. The drinks were very expensive nearly £16 for single rum and coke and single gin and tonic, we would have had more if it had not been so expensive. Spa treatment was lovely and the staff in there were really friendly and were constantly tidying up around pool area. I would definitely go back again, in fact hope to get a few us together for a repeat visit really soon

Date of experience: August 2018