Open today: 09:30 - 19:00
Review Highlights
Really average treatment

Received a hot stone massage worth £79 - certainly wasn’t worth this. Thankfully I used a voucher I... read more

Reviewed 31 October 2018
cegrd
via mobile
Day visit to the spa

My daughter and I attened for a spa break, a Christmas present from my son. My voucher was valud... read more

Reviewed 29 October 2018
Suegibbo
via mobile

All reviews spa facilities lovely spa spa break hour treatment poolside cafe robes and slippers sauna and steam room light lunch high standard stayed here lovely staff golfers
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I had so been looking forward to this trip today! I’m having major surgery tomorrow, and my Mum will be taking care of my kids for a few weeks, so I wanted to really treat her to some relaxation before the chaos!

We arrived at the Hall and were welcomed and taken to the relaxation room. Everything seemed beautiful and well kept, and the lady that greeted us, Juanita, was friendly. We filled out our forms and were taken to the changing rooms.

The changing room was small, although lots of lockers available, but many people were gathered around the one small bench that was there to use. Once changed, we went out to the pool to see children. A lot. Of children. The place was packed. It was like being at a public pool. I couldn’t get over how busy it was, and we found it rather difficult to find somewhere to sit. I asked if this was normal? Only to be met with what I later discovered to be the stock response “this is a family hotel”. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a child hater. I have a 4 and 5 year old! I love kids. But not on a “relaxing” spa day! I do feel like this should be mentioned when booking that children are allowed - and that during summer holidays it’s likely to be busy.

I was then told that kids weren’t allowed in between 12 and 2. Wow. Great. I had a treatment at 12, and lunch was from 1.... guess who wasn’t going to benefit from that time of peace!

The treatments were nice. Mandy was very friendly and made great conversation whilst I had my scalp, neck and shoulder massage. The staff took note of my upcoming surgery, and were able to use appropriate products to ensure nothing would cause any issues. Becca was quieter, but my foot rub was lovely. Only negative comment would be the time. A “25 minute” treatment was not a 25 minute treatment. My 10am had be back in the relaxation room by 10:22 (this included consultation, undressing and redressing!) and my 12 noon appointment had me leaving the relaxation room at 12:08, and back in there by 12:28. I don’t even think she started the massage much earlier than quarter past. Now I realise this may seem picky! But really... this is not a 25 minute treatment. They may have 25 minute timeslots to fit into - but this isn’t exactly fair on paying customers.

In between treatments, the only way to get away from the children (who really looked to be having fun - my kids would love their slide to be fair!) was to go in the steam room and sauna. But really. Why bother? The sauna was barely warm. I found myself sitting there wondering whether it was switched on. So we moved to the steam room only to wonder the same thing! There was next to no steam, and it was possibly lukewarm at best. I’m not sure how that works “health and safety” wise - but I’m sure these things are meant to have a minimum temperature.
Oh - and there’s no poolside shower. We had to go back to the changing rooms to wash off from the steam and sauna (although in hindsight this maybe was unnecessary due to the inability to sweat in those temperatures!) But I dread to think how many just head straight into the pool after getting out - without rinsing off. Eww.

We then decided to try and ignore the noise of the families having fun, and relax on our loungers to dry off before treatments. It turned out the kids weren’t the biggest problem. It was the man with the drill! Putting up light fittings or something of that description - not far from our spot. I mean. COME ON! Can this not be done at another time? Like the time they will come back to fix the toilet that was broken in the ladies changing room “Oh sorry, that can’t be fixed until later tonight as all the workmen are men”.
Oh, by the way, when they do come in, you might want them to remove that 1.5inch of thick pole that appears to be sticking out of the floor next to the clothes drier! That’s going to hurt someone! Even with the white bit of plastic around it!

After our second treatment (the one that finished about 11 minutes after it started) we headed to find some food. After a few wrong turns in the rabbit run which is the slightly dated - though charming - looking hotel, we found the restaurant. We were told that the food wasn’t ready, but we were welcome to sit down as long as we waited to be told to go up to the buffet. We sat and waited patiently, only to not actually be told that the food was now open. It was only when others began sitting down with food, that we enquired if it was in fact ok to eat. “Yeah just go”. Wow. Thanks for the heads up!

But maybe waiting wasn’t so bad. Because the food - well not much better. What a bizarre serving for such a grand hotel. The soup, if a little cold, was actually quite lovely. And the bread was nice and warm. The salad bar had a fairly good choice of options. There were a good few drinks to choose from too. Apple, orange, grapefruit and water. However - all warm.

But the main? Well. That left me confused. I wish I had taken a photo - as it was quite odd. Thai green curry was first, then chicken chow mien, THEN rice (note - after the curry, not ideal when in a queue of people wanting rice before the curry) and finally - and bowl of halved baked potatoes. That was it. I mean - eh? What exactly is the potato meant to go with? It just didn’t make any sense. And don’t even get me started on how cold it all was! The curry had ran low, so a new one was put down fresh on front of me, and I was the first to take a spoonful. Cold. Even though I’d almost burned my hand taking the plate from the plate holder - that wasn’t enough to warm the food through.

All in all, I am pleased I paid a “discounted” rate of £120, because if I’d paid the supposed full price I would have been kicking off. This is no small fee for me, a student with 2 kids heading into 3 months off work without pay. But I really wanted to show my mum how much we appreciate all her help. All I can say is thank goodness she knows my heart was in the right place - because that place - was not right! I wish I had booked another spa. Instead of spending a full day of relaxation, we sat in a plethora of noise, we were underdone on our treatment times, and then ate a cold lunch. We were in the car leaving by 13:45.

My advice to anyone looking to book - try Seaham Hall, Rockcliffe Hall, or one of the others. You’re not missing much unfortunately.

2  Thank Avcaj
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

This is my 4 th time here, it cost £109 for dinner, bed, breakfast, use of spa and 45 min treatment. When we arrived the concierge did not open door which normally they are welcoming. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful, our room was fine, and very clean. We did try to get an up grade but with no luck! The evening meal was really nice apart from the bakewell tart which was extremely dry and we could not eat it as it tasted old. We told the waitress who just said she would let the chef know, would have been a nice gesture to offer a replacement. The drinks were very expensive nearly £16 for single rum and coke and single gin and tonic, we would have had more if it had not been so expensive. Spa treatment was lovely and the staff in there were really friendly and were constantly tidying up around pool area. I would definitely go back again, in fact hope to get a few us together for a repeat visit really soon

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I arrived this morning and were grated with friendly helpful staff. We filled in the info sheets then went to get changed. The changing rooms are small and with a few adults and children in there it is a tight squeeze. With a quick change under my robe, as there are no changing cubicals. My treatments started at 10am,the young beautician seemed rushed and the back neck and solder massage was ok, then a quick file and polish and we were finished! My husband said his treatments were better, I think this was down to a more skilled beautician. The pool area is ok, but at times it was quite comical the DIY man drilling light fittings into the wall as all the guests looked on it shock, trying to relax on the sun longer! The young lad who sat in the window looking bored and fed up,who worked here, then tried to push past a guest and one of his feet feel in the jacuzzi and he walked past 5 minutes latter with his wet trainer full of news paper. We decided to go for our lunch early. A young girl told us and the waiting guests we could only sit in one small area of the restaurant. The lunch is very poor. Soup and a bread roll for starters, bedraggled salad and a choice of vegetable stir fry or Thai chicken with rice and a baked potato. Desserts were a dry lemon tart and some sticky toffee pudding (most of this looked liked left overs from the night before, dry and tasteless!) The only choice was take it or leave it! I would honestly recommend spending your hard earned money else where... Not good value for money here. My advise to you.. Pay a bit more and book some where you would enjoy. My advise to Slaley Hall owner...there are plenty of staff here... All stood round chatting... You are selling vouchers to encourage people to come to the Spa and get repeat business... with poor service and treatment, this isn't the way forward. The pool area is very quite now, different from this morning when three people were sharing a sunbed next to me as the others were all taken... We are going home early, like most of the other guests. What a disappoint Slaley Scruffy Hall... We won't be back..

Date of experience: August 2018
3  Thank kathrynw1234
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Would never recommend this spa to anyone. The whole place is far too hot and the pool area is full of kids. Not ideal when you’re going to relax.
Me and my friend got a deal through wowcher which included a three course meal, when booking no one on the phone told us that lunch finishes at 3! We arrived at 14.50, the staff couldn’t have been less interested and the food that was left was nothing short of inedible. No alternatives were offered, it was embarrassing.
As previous comments have stated the changing rooms are small, dark and dingy and again absolutely red hot.
Then the massage.. I was left physically bruised with deep black bruises across the bottom of my back.
I’ve had massages in numerous spas across the world and never ever experienced this. I don’t suffer with tension or a bad back! I emailed the spa directly to be told by the manager that this should be expected from a massage?! Wow. No apology for the discomfort I endured following the massage.
Surely if bruising is to be expected they should mention this before proceeding.
Avoid at all costs, you will be left disappointed!

Date of experience: July 2018
2  Thank 426georginat
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

We visited the spa as a couple using an offer for a days access 10-6 with 2 treatments each.
Upon arrival the staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The pool area is very well equipped with a hot tub, pool, sauna, steam room and a slide for the more youthful customers.
The treatments were fantastic and would highly recommend them.
The food was ok, nothing amazing but edible, with water and fruit juice included. It is a bit embarrassing walking through the hotel to get to the restaurant but once there it made no difference if you were dressed or in robes.
The spa area itself is nice and loungers comfortable, some beds could do with being replaced but it didn’t spoil our experience. Towels that were provided were of nice quality and could be replaced as often as you wished. Free flavoured water available all day.
The hotel grounds were lovely and would highly recommended this experience.

Date of experience: July 2018