“Food great...NEEDS atmosphere”

Ranked #268 of 976 Restaurants in York
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Came here as we were staying at some holiday cottages nearby. Looks okay from the outside, good size car park, and once inside its okay- plenty of seating and clean. There were only a handful of customers inside, which would have been great in a little, cosy inn, but this rather sprawling restaurant style pub looked empty and we felt a bit awkward. Found a table (wasn't difficult!!) and got our drinks from the bar. The menu is standard pub fare but is very reasonably priced, I ordered a chicken kiev which was only £5.95 and was on a big plate with chips, peas and salad. My husband had cajun chicken, which was about £7.95 i think and came on a plate even bigger than mine. The girls had kids meals which were a good size and really good value, and had pudding for only £1.75 each. It cost £33 for my family of four with one drink each which i think is pretty good. There's a pool table to play on while you wait for your grub too.
When our food came, a few more people had come in which helped a bit with the atmosphere that had until that point been a bit flat to say the least. There wasn't any music at all, or a TV, which i know can be distracting and annoying if too loud but this place desperately needed some background noise to lighten the spirits.

Neville F, Manager at Four Alls Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Very sorry about the lack of Music we are having some problems with the back ground music but hopfully it will be back in action very shortly once again sorry it spoilt your visit

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

We stopped here on our way to Scarborough. The pub has no atmosphere or music and is cold and uninviting as well as being awkward to walk into. We did debate going somewhere else but didn't know how far the next pub was. Food was fine nothing special but stopped us being hungry. Wouldn't really recommend.

Sorry you did not enjoy your visit. I don,t know what more we can do at 4.0. clock in the afternoon central heating was on open fire burning only thing missing is the back ground music which we are trying to put right.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

We went here with family on our way back home. It was very quiet at around 4ish but that didnt put us off. I believe the meals are 2 for just under £10 and the menu for this is very good. There are lots of choices for whatever you fancy. We weren't disappointed either everyone cleared their plates and enjoyed it. Really good pub food. I can only describe it as miles better than flying legends and places like that. Dont be expecting anything fancy. Its cheap but it's good food grub. Definately go back.

1  Thank dezertbear

Thank you for your responce it always nice that some one takes the the time to comment when they visit the Four Alls

Reviewed 24 December 2017

The last Thursday before Christmas and my son and I arrive at about 7pm. There is a table of three just finishing off their main but when I try to order I am told the kitchen is closed .... really ? At 7pm ?? I was told that maybe I should try the chippy down the road.
Well I went to that chippy ... it’s called Thompsons and it was amazing (read my review)
My advice, give this poor excuse of an eatery a miss and go on down to the fish & chip restaurant instead.

Neville F, Manager at Four Alls Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Sorry for your experience. We did close early that day. The three people sat down eating were the the only customers since three o clock and with it being so quiet we closed at seven. Please accept our apologies.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Lovley sunday lunch. Very good value for money will definetly return next time I am in the area, nice to see a coal fire still around lovley and cosy.

Neville F, General Manager at Four Alls Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Thanking you for your coments it's always nice to receive positive feedback, hope to see you in the near future.
Kind regards manager