B+B York(York)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$134
Hotels.com
  • Free Breakfast
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$140
US$133
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
The York Priory(York)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$104
US$145
US$118
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$136/night.

Safestay York(York)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$47
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$62/night.

YHA York(Clifton)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$57
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Reviews (1 977)
1 977 results
All reviewscar parkmodern hotelcity centrewalk in showerper nightsofa bedshort walkbooked this hotelbuffet stylegreat showercastle museumstayed for one nightwould stay againtea and coffeebiscuitsfull englishwetherspoons
54 - 59 of 1 977 reviews
Reviewed 23 March 2018

I stayed at Hotel 53 for 1 night while on a business trip to York.

The hotel is nicely furnished, and feels more luxurious than the main budget hotels in a similar price range. The staff were also pleasant and efficient.

My room was quite comfortable and clean, but it did have a musty smell, possibly from damp? The rooms do not have in-room safes, which may be an issue if you want to store a laptop securely before going out for dinner.

The hotel website is quite vague about parking, and when I arrived I found that there is no parking immediately adjacent to the hotel, but the hotel offers limited spaces in what is, to all intents and purposes, a derelict building 100m from the hotel along Piccadilly. I drove through the very narrow entrance (which, ironically is next to the NCP car park) into the hotel car park. It was dark and dingy with no lighting, and the there were discarded beer cans and bottles in the corner. I was not happy at the prospect at leaving my BMW parked there overnight, so I left, and parked in the public car park on Peel Street, which is also close to the hotel, is well-lit, and is actually cheaper!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear have a view of Peel Street car park (useful if you've parked there0
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul P
Hotel53YorkCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn York City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Dear Paul P,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at hotel53. Thank you for your comments regrading your customer service i look forward to sharing these with the team. I would like to confirm that all rooms do now have safes for guests to use. Our car park spaces are
of limited availability and is a facility we offer to guests upon request. We do now inform guests of what to expect from the car park prior to parking to ensure our guests are aware whilst issue are being rectified. As stated there are plenty of other car parks and our reception team can suggest and quote prices for these. we do hope to welcome you back on your net visit to York,

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Hotel 53 is excellently located in the city center of York, a short walk at the most 8 minutes.

On arrival we checked in at the reception, the staff were quick and very polite.
There is a £30 pound security fee they ask for while you stay there. This is explained on the website and booking details.

We were given 2 key cards to our room. We were located on the fifth floor. There is a life or stairs you can use. We used the lift which was a bit small but okay if no more than 4 people use it at one time.

The room was spacious for the wife and me, was expecting a double bed but due to the room we think was getting was not ready they gave us a room with a King or super king bed in. Room was well lit with spot lights and a lamp on table and window, our room only had a vertical blind which could be a problem if you have blackout curtains at home.

The bathroom most important for the wife for doing her make up. There was big full size mirror and a walk in shower with a slid door. The shower took some time to get the right temperature as the hot water is VERY hot, turn the cold on first then use the hot to adjust to get what suits you. I got it prefect on the day we were to book out always the way.
The bathroom was supplied with body wash and a shower cap, two towels and hand towel and plenty of loo rolls.

For making tea and coffee there is a kettle which is located on a pull out shelve which has tea bags and coffee. There is also a hot water pod machine and pods to use.

There is also a hairdryer which is very good from what the wife tells me. Room comes with a widescreen Samsung TV 38" and plenty of plug sockets and a USB socket for you to charge up mobiles and iPad ect.

Room cleaned daily

Breakfast is on the ground floor from 7 am to 10 am staff are very good and will help with anything. They have tea & coffee, juices, fresh fruit, cereals if you want hot breakfast there is bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans and half of tomatoes. For toast white and malted bread.

Booking out was easy and fast, and the £30 pound security payment took at booking in (not actually took) was removed from my bank by close of business.

Would we use again? Yes we would.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Richard K,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at hotel53. I'm delighted to see you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to york.
Kind regards

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Booked in for three nights over the weekend. The hotel was well maintained and gave a welcoming impression. Staff were attentive and pleasant, being helpful with questions.

The room was spacious with decent amenities within, however the double bed consisted of two single mattresses pushed together with a significant gap in between them. The top of the headboard was rather dusty and needs attention by cleaners. The only other issue was that tea and coffee was not replenished by the cleaners and I had to source this from reception on a daily basis.

A decent enough stay though with the minor issues above and in a good location.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave M,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at with us at hotel53. I would like to apologise and will pass on your comments to the relevant department for internal investigation. Thank you for your comments regarding our location and the customer service. we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to York.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

So me and my partner stayed here, he picked it after seeing good reviews and we got a good price 2 days before our visit.
The room was ok, bedding clean, room was relatively clean, however after misplacing the remote we moved the bed to find a stone, monopoly piece and a previous guests medication, if there had been a child in the room could have been quite a risk. There was 1 small heater in the room, but we weren’t particularly cold. The window wasn’t very sound proof, I had to check it in the middle of the night as it sounded like the window was open, quite a draft came from the window.
We didn’t have the breakfast so not sure what the food was like.
The hotel itself is in a good location for getting to all the bars, restaurants and sights. We used the NCP car park which was £15 for 24hrs and looked the most secure, it was literally a 2 min walk down the road.

I think it was an ok hotel for the night, it served its purpose but if we were staying longer than a night I would book somewhere else. I would rule out never returning as I may if attending a concert or going for drinks with friends/partner. Not a bad hotel but nothing spectacular.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Lynsey_1783,

Thank you for your recent review.

We at Hotel 53 are anxious to ensure that the highest standards of facilities and personal services are provided to our guests and your valued response assists us in our efforts to achieve this and I do apologise that we failed to provide this to you at this time.

I am truly sorry to see that your room was not cleaned to expectations and will be passed onto the relevant manger for internal investigation. I regret that your expectations were not entirely satisfied on this occasion and Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused. We do hope to welcome you back on your next visit to York.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Decent location but parking was located up the road and discounted offered to Hotel guests. Room was very nice and shower and bathroom good. At £140 for the night with breakfast and parking £30 extra it's not the cheapest but it was a busy St.patriks day so to be expected. Top tip, for breakfast go over the road to Weatherpoons for a large full English for just £6. Friendly, helpful staff. Overall nice hotel and would go back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear IATIK,
Thank you for your review on hotel53. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you enjoyed your St Patrick's day celebrations. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to York.