“early dinner”

The Dormouse
Ranked #457 of 975 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$9 - US$33
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Dormouse in York is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

i think the dormouse needs to review their staffing levels. we turned up around 18.00 for dinner. ordered starters which arrived in a reasonable time and were very nice. however had to chase up mains as we were left waiting for over half an hour after finishing starters and still no sight if mains. after chasing, the meals did turn up. my fish was fine but my daughter's steak looked like it had been cooked to death (I ordered medium rare). to be fair they did replace it but eating separately was not ideal as she had to wait a further 20 minutes for a replacement. at the bar there was a desperate shortage of staff and it took ages to place an order or even to pay your bill.

this place is usually fairly good but I think the staffing issues are affecting their service. they need to get it sorted as will not be returning any time soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this good venue for the first time in about 4 years. It was as good as always. Good food, good service, a little on the cheap and cheerful side but well recommended.

General Manager A, Manager at The Dormouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Mike A, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience with us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at Premier Inn next door & receptionist offered to book us a table. We had eaten here before about 18 months ago & the service was abysmal, but for convenience we accepted.

We arrived at alloted time & the waiter all but called me a liar saying we couldn't have booked because it was Father's Day & they had been fully booked since Friday.

About to leave he grudgingly said he would " squeeze us in". The food was ok & certainly quicker than last time but as for being " squeezed in" there were 2 empty tables near us all night and the other section was certainly not full.

On returning to the hotel the receptionist admitted he hadn't managed to book the table & forgot to tell us.

I do feel slightly guilty for not leaving a tip as I didn't like the waiters attitude but he could have handled it much better.,

1  Thank Chris T

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience with us at The Dormouse.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Delicious food, superb service, great ambience, champagne and balloons waiting for me, thanks so much guys, my birthday was perfect.

General Manager A, Manager at The Dormouse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Clairedee,
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much on your birthday,
I will pass on your comments to the team who were on shift,
Thanx again
Team Dormouse

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed here last year in the premier inn next door, every night we ate at the
Dormouse and food was to die for, 5 star.
Unfortunately this year it has went really downhill...which is a shame.
Friday night I wanted a fillet or rib eye steak (both sold out), how can this be as it wasn't even busy!!
Had the rump steak ...asked for medium to well done...it came burnt and was a thick round lump could hardly chew it...not a steak
My friends had the haddock which looked like it came out of a frozen food box..not fresh at all.
This is really a big disappointment as the food was fresh fish battered and juicy steaks last year and loved it.
Also starters and puddings were lovely too but not this year.
Will not be staying here next year due to this and I'd imagine others will feel the same.
What a waste as it's a lovely pub, I'm still here but need to now find somewhere else to eat tonight.
I hope you can take note of this

2  Thank alisonritchie

Hi Alisonritchie,
we ae sorry to hear about your negative experience, and we have been in contact personally to resolve this