“Looks better outside than in.”
Review of Duke of York

Duke of York
Ranked #174 of 1 007 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Duke of York. Located in the heart of medieval York, at the top of the historic Shambles, the 'Duke' is a pub packed full of history and charm. As part of the Leeds Brewery family we pride ourselves on the quality and range of our beer selection, and also on our locally sourced, freshly prepared food. So whether you want to pop in for a pint, a bite to eat, or just to rest your legs for a chat over a cup of tea we should have something for you.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Whilst in York centre thought this looked a nice pub. However it is not so smart inside and the seats and tables were generally dirty. There was a lot of vertical drinkers at the bar hence getting served was difficult. (Recommend part of the bar is kept clear for those customers trying to get served and then returning to the seating areas. Toilets very very poor with limited space. Prices high even for York and limited selection of draught beers. Better pubs in York and cheaper. Cannot comment about the food only had drinks.

1  Thank latebird2017

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

My partner and I decided to have lunch in this place whilst on a visit in York. The selection of beer/ales in this place was excellent and the barman was very helpful in suggesting which one I should have. We decided to order food, O had the cajun chicken wrap. The wrap itself was lovely, as were the twice cooked chips. The only thing to let this place down was what appeared to be a clump of hair in my salad. I appreciate that these things do happen and I hope it to be a one off. It has put me off returning to this place if ever in York again.

Date of visit: March 2018
lbdukeofyorkyork, General Manager at Duke of York, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Wow, Im really sorry about that. We would of been happy to completely change the dish for you if you requested??
I can assure you that all the salad is washed thoroughly before service and sincerely hope this was a one off.
I really hope you decide to visit us again and if so, Id love to offer you and your partner a drink on the house?
Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Chalkboards? Check.
Slightly left field choice of drinks? Check.
Gin promotion? Check.
Pulled pork on the menu? Probably, but I didn't check.

It's not unpleasant or unwelcoming, it's just not particularly inspiring.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Had lunch here Friday 16th March, the seat we're welcoming and friendly and the food was delicious. Would recommend it to everyone

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Our daughter was doing a Psychology presentation here last night so we decided to eat at the venue. Our meals were excellent--- well presented and tasty. My husband said it was the best fish pie he had ever tasted. I enjoyed a huge steak burger and our daughter had the curry. Lovely, traditional surroundings in the heart of York. A good choice of beers too.