“High Tea and more”

The Teddy bear Tea Rooms
Ranked #62 of 976 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Family run business in the heart of York. Passionate about serving local produce and great drinks.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had our first high tea ever and loved it. This tea room was a great find as the traditional tea meal was perfect. The sandwiches, desserts and Scone were all very good. I could of had 3 of the scones myself they were so good. Also had the Grizzly sandwich that was awesome as well.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I frequented the Teddy Bear Tearooms a few years back and had probably a few too many English Breakfasts there. I decided to take my partner there today for one of their amazing breakfasts which I did describe as one of the best I'd ever had and I was a little disappointed. The food itself was beautiful, cooked well and tasted fantastic but my main issue was with the portioning. The portioning was dire I won't lie, one sausage, a bitesize bit of bacon, three mushrooms a few little bits of potato a tiny couple of slices of toast and some homemade beans in a pot. The beans were very tasty but probably should revert to normal baked beans, I didn't think they worked too well with the Breakfast and a name change to English Breakfast may be in order as without black pudding and hash browns it can't really be called that. I was also a little disappointed to see that their beautiful Darjeeling had been taken from the menu, I used to go especially for that. Nonetheless, the girls in the kitchen can cook very well and we did enjoy what we had, I just wish there'd been more of it because it was a little embarrassing bragging to my partner about this Breakfast and seeing the waitress bring this huge plate with almost no food on it, I almost laughed. Still, maybe go with a sandwich and some breakfast tea because the top floor of the tearoom really is something special.

Ejh1985, Manager at The Teddy bear Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good morning,

I understand your feedback however, the changes we have made to the menu have been received exceptionally well and the quality of our ingredients are of the highest standard available. To visit other eateries in the same category as ourselves you will find a variety of items are included in full English breakfasts, rarely hash browns, however to accommodate this we provide sautéed potatoes.

If you would have preferred 'normal' baked beans, you could have requested this upon ordering. We are keen to please customers so requests such as that are not a problem.

The unfortunate thing about this situation is that on both occasions when our waitresses spoke to you to check if you were happy, you said yes with no hesitation. To revert to TripAdvisor as opposed to airing your concerns at the time is a shame.

Regards,

Emily Holborn

Reviewed 12 June 2018

This establishment is streets ahead of the more famous Betty's tea rooms in York. No queueing, better atmosphere, friendlier staff, far more interesting and tastier sandwiches, scrumptious cakes, and at a lower price.

1  Thank drago7825
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

This is the second time me & my fiancé have visited this little tea room & we will visit every time we are in York. It’s small but quirky & full of character & the food is delicious, definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

It was our first visit to York and to the teddy bear tea rooms. We went early when they were just opening for breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The menu was superb for such a small place, it was a pleasure to read the menu which obviously had been given a great deal of thought. I had advocada stack which was lovely and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Thankyou.