“Brisket is to die for.”
Review of Source

Source
Ranked #37 of 1 001 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Description: Home to some of York’s fest slow-cooked meats, superfoods and vegetarian delights, Source offers a dining experience unlike any other in the city. This restaurant isn’t just for the health-conscious, it’s also for any person who happens to love seriously delicious food. From their 48 hour beef brisket or free-range pulled pork – sourced from regional British farms - to unique meat-free options like whole baked cauliflower and BBQ-style pulled jackfruit with cornbread, Source is leading the charge for great food on Castlegate. Plus, it’s conveniently located in the city centre just steps from Cliffod’s Tower, York Castle Museum and more of the city’s finest attractions, perfect for visitors and locals alike. Make a reservation to secure a table at this one of a kind restaurant.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed our meals here. It's really great to go somewhere that a meat eater (myself) and a vegan (my gf) can both eat something top class and one of us not having to compromise with a menu choice that's clearly an afterthought or loosen our morals so we can eat together. The food was awesome and the staff were nice . Thanks source.

1  Thank Birdiebirdbird

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I already can't wait for my next trip to york to try more of this food! Great mix of Vegan and non vegan food which made both me and my bf happy! I had the avocado followed by vegan ribs and partner has a cauliflower starter which can be made vegan followed by beef brisket. Both waitresses were lovely and were very knowledgeable about the menu even though it was new! As a vegan i was absolutely spoiled for choice! i am used to only having one or two things to choose from !

Bf finishes with a chocolate sundae and i even had a VEGAN CREME BRULEE !!! made my night haha !

1  Thank Charlotte R
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I visited Source recently with my partner and friends due to them offering a decent vegan menu. I went a few years ago and really enjoyed the food so I was looking forward to it!

I ordered the vegan fried chicken which came with a bunch of southern-style sides which were all delicious. It’s good to have vegan coleslaw with a creamy dressing as most places don’t bother with those sorts of touches! I was also really impressed that I got 9 pieces of vegan chicken. At over £13 though, I felt like it was pretty expensive. I understand the costs involved in running a restaurant but as far as I’m aware there were no particular “speciality” ingredients involved. As it was a unique dish I was just about happy to pay it.

However, my partner ordered the BBQ jackfruit which although delicious was really small. Again, it came with a range of southern-style sides but we felt like the amount of jackfruit was pretty tiny. Whereas I thought I had a large portion of food his was pretty small so it seems a bit like luck as to the amount of food you’ll be served. Again, this dish was priced at over £13 and it felt too expensive due to the portion size.

Overall Source is a nice place to eat and the food is good but it definitely suits people with a higher budget!

Reviewed 26 June 2018

What a fantastic meal! We loved everything. The food was gorgeous. Particularly enjoyed the grilled avocado with lime and the slow cooked brisket.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Lucia2Uk
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We went to this restaurant with our two boys aged 5 and 7, the staff was very friendly with them as we waited for our food, and the meals were delicious and very nicely presented. A good selection for vegetarians.

1  Thank M K