YHA Whitby(Whitby)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
Reviews (1 185)
1 185 results
All reviewssea viewself drivesmall liftshearings hotelsevening entertainmentshearings coach holidaycoach drivernational holidayspremier roomhalf boardlovely old hotelopen top busfruit juicebit datedplenty of choicegreat positionsingle room
12 - 17 of 1 185 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed here as a solo traveller on a Shearings 5 day break back in April. My single room was small but not tiny, the bathroom was quite large in comparison. Both the bedroom and the bathroom had lovely views towards the Abbey. The room was kept spotless by Danielle. My only complaint would be the lack of a set of drawers, there is room for a small set. I have already booked this room again for my next break.
In the restaurant I shared a table with 3 other solo travelling ladies and the table very close to the side of us was occupied by a very entertaining pair of sisters. Lovely company ladies, thank you, we shared some great laughs. Our waiter was Craig who did a fantastic job, with a lovely manner and sense of humour. The food was fine for both breakfast and evening meals (nothing was cold or luke warm that wasn't supposed to be. Nice variation on each menu, though sometimes odd combinations. I did notice that portion sizes can vary on plates, one night I had serious fish pie envy as the lady next to me got a much more generous dish than me!
As usual the coach driver Mark did a fabulous job from pick up to drop off. Mark appears to go out of his way on his time off to learn new things, routes etc. with which to entertain his passengers. Our coach had problems as we set off on one of our excursions but Mark and the other drivers worked quickly and efficiently to transfer us fuss free onto the other coaches. Luckily Mark drove us on the new coach as that driver sorted out repairs for ours.
All the staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful. Hope you enjoyed the chocolate!
The Bay Royal is quite an elderly lady, she is however, still dignified with great character. A little shabby in places (aren't we all!), but clearly loved by many who work hard to keep her looking well for her age. The on-going refurbishment is doing wonders for her, don't dismiss her for being old, she still does her job amazingly well. I love my visits here as do many other returning visitors.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank eyorkshireponygirl
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Popped in for a pot of tea.

Went through to the bar area, no-one in sight. Went back to reception to ask if someone could rustle up a pot of tea for us.

The Eastern European girl on reception told me "there's someone in the bar, they will sort it out for you".

Sorry, but there's no-one there.

"They've probably just gone into the kitchen, they'll be back soon". She wasn't really bothered.

We waited, and waited, and waited. No-one appeared. We gave up.

Went back to reception to be met with a shrug of the shoulders.

Departed without having had any tea. We went somewhere else.

What on earth is going on with this industry?

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank no-time-toulouse
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I'm sorry to see you were disappointed on your recent visit. This is certainly not the service we usually offer and I will look into your complaint with the relevant staff. I hope you would consider popping in again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

we have just got back from a 8 day break to whitby the feeder was a mini bus to cambridge services but had to take us to corley as problem with other coach not there fault someone was taken ill got to hotel the room was very small for a double the bathroom was small and mouldy bed was comfortable with clean sheets the lift takes only 4 people so often had to wait a long time for it the food and resturant staff were very good the coach driver was ok but did not know the tours so we did not got to chop gate not his fault he replaced the driver who should have done tour but shearings should have given him the day trip info all in all not sure we would go with them again

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CAROL S

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'll be sure to pass your comments regarding the travel arrangements and tours to the relevant department. We have a wide variety of sized rooms in the hotel and perhaps should you visit again, give us a quick call and we will see what we can do to arrange a larger room for you. I will pass your comments to the team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Typical Shearing's hotel, still a lot of refurbishment still required, breakfast was enjoyed but the evening meals were awful and luke warm to boot, especially the vegetables, why serve luke warm veg. in unheated stainless steel serving trays, they just act as heat shields and suck any heat the veg. may have out, also the menu card says the soup comes with a warm bread roll, every night ours were clap cold, when I challenged the waiter, he said "Oh, they have probably been out for a while" whatever that means, as we suspect, most meals are probably already plated up waiting to be served and why they were not hot, apart from salads, food served not hot is not worth serving at all, it certainly isn't what I expect to get when I've paid good money for an evening meal.
Once again Shearing's chase for profit resulted in the Sunday night entertainment being discontinued, so for us on a 3 night weekend break this resulted in a 33% loss of entertainment, one of the reasons we come here as well as liking Whitby, however I would like to say that Steve, our entertainment host did a good job, well done to him.
We have, as a party of about 16 to 20 been coming to this hotel for almost twenty years, it used to suit our needs perfectly and we knew what we were going to get, but after listening to our group's comments this year, I'm not so sure we are still as keen to return.
Bar prices are still daylight robbery, and this year Shearing's managed to make a total mess of our room requests, how poor is that, no customer satisfaction on this visit. Don't be put off staying at this hotel, but be aware of what the standards are.
Reception staff were friendly and polite which is a positive.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank dnowland_12

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. I will investigate your comments regarding the food and take action where required. With regards to your comments regarding the refurbishment of the hotel, as you have been staying with us for a number of years I would have hoped you would have noticed the extensive refurbishment we have carried out over the past 5 years with in the hotel. This includes full refurbishment of the ballroom, restaurant and lounge bar with approximately 85% of the bedrooms having also been completed. As the brochure states we offer entertainment most nights in the hotel, this changes on what day from year to year. Many of our guests take this opportunity to enjoy a quiet relaxed evening in or venture out into town in the better weather. I hope you will chose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very disappointed, the room was like a rabbit hutch, if we booked last minute you expect not to get the best, went down to reception and asked if they had another room which they did not much better but bigger. We booked nearly 2 months in advance to hopefully get a nice room like the one we had before silly me. £270.00 this cost us for 2 nights as my 65th Birthday treat. So disappointed we won’t be going again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank mimedmands

I'm sorry to see you were disappointed with your room during your stay. From the limited information provided, I am unsure of your name nor the room allocated. We have varying sized rooms and upgrades available within the hotel, which is always worth discussing at the time of booking. We hope you will reconsider and choose to stay with us again in the future.