“Hill House delivers, it was amaze balls ;)”

Review of Hill House Norfolk

Dining room seats 16 to 18
En-suite bathroom
Kitchen
Designer furniture
Morning room with multimedia system
Games room with lots of toys
Bedroom 1
Four-poster bedroom
En-suite bedroom
Walk through shower/en-suite bedroom
www.hillhousenorfolk.com
Free use of leisure and golf club
Free use of leisure facilities at a local country club 5 mins away
Tennis court and the HH Kids Club
6 acres of gardens and grounds
Lots of catering options including fish and chips
Children's tea in the kitchen
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Paula B
London, United Kingdom
“Hill House delivers, it was amaze balls ;)”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

I was looking for a house to share with a group of friends to celebrate my 50th birthday, I wanted a house where we’d all have some luxury & comfort, somewhere we could come and go as we pleased and do what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it and to not be on top of each other, with the exception of coming together as a group for a meal. As soon as I saw Hill House I knew I’d found ‘the one’ and booked it without hesitation or without reading any reviews (I read them about 3 months after I’d booked it), Hill House did not disappoint, we were all, quite literally, blown away.

We received an extremely warm welcome from Chris. As she gave us a tour of the house, I stood back a little and watched the expressions on our friends faces, their jaws literally dropped and their eyes widened with each corner turned, with each room they peered into. Within probably 20 minutes of arriving we were enjoying champagne and cupcakes on the lawn, an absolutely perfect start to our weekend, a real treat.

We continued relaxing and enjoying each other’s company, we’d all stopped clock watching, we had fish & chips to look forward to, Bill arrived to cook for us in front of the house, he was extremely professional, polite and funny and the food was delicious, please don’t hesitate to book the fish & chip supper, you don’t have to go anywhere, you don’t have to get cabs or drive, you just stop what you’re doing 5 minutes before, get yourself a plate and a drink and enjoy…

We had 3 nights here and if you have a busy clock watching life there’s absolutely no better place to spend your time, we didn’t venture out too much as the house had everything we could have possibly wanted, and it really felt like home, albeit on a rather larger, grander scale. No one used Dunston Hall, but when we return, and we will return to stay longer next time, then I’m sure we will, it certainly is a welcome addition.

We would also thoroughly recommend the Bespoke meal on the Saturday evening, I won’t give away too much as I wouldn’t want to spoil it for anyone thinking of doing this as there are little surprises that make it extra special. The food and service faultless, very professional yet fun and friendly. I wouldn’t want this to come across as a negative comment, it was just an observation, the Bespoke meal was certainly more than adequate for the ladies but I felt that maybe the men were still a little hungry, although they didn’t say, the portions are not huge for hungry men, however I understand it’s very much quality over quantity, but I think maybe a bowl of small roast/pan fried herby potatoes to perhaps go with the main and maybe some vegetables for the ladies would have been very welcome, something that can be left on the table to top up your main meal, maybe offered at a small additional cost, at least people then have the option to add this if they need to, the Norfolk fresh air certainly gives you an appetite.

I personally wanted to go back to Hill House even before I’d stayed there and when we did finally arrive we certainly didn’t want to leave, it’s a stunning house in a stunning location, it had a great energy and presence to it.

Heartfelt thanks to Darren and to your amazing team, I could have chatted all day to the lovely lady who came on the Monday morning to bag up the linen.

My birthday weekend is full of happy memories and it was all I hoped it would be, my only regret is we should have stayed longer, I personally didn’t want to pry myself away from the house for longer than I had to as I felt so at home and I didn’t want to regret not spending time there. We won’t, and actually haven’t hesitated to recommend Hill House to friends/family, it does exactly what it says on the tin and some!!! Keep doing what you’re doing as you have a winning team & formula ;-)

Very best wishes,
Paula & Lee.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: we all felt thoroughly at home & were totally relaxed within 30 seconds of arriving
Liked least: leaving :(
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
25 Aug 2014
Hi Paula, Thanks for coming to stay and thanks for writing a comprehensive review - it's really appreciated. Love the photos and love the wigs :) Hope we see you again, Darren
Bonnie C
Woodford, United Kingdom
“Wow, wow, wow”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

We had a wonderful stay at Hill House - really can't recommend it enough. The house itself is beautiful - really nicely done and very tasteful. We were given a warm greeting and shown around the house and then taken in to the kitchen where champagne and lemon meringue cupcakes were waiting. It was hard to wait for the rest of the group to arrive and not get stuck in!

We were staying there as a large group of friends, some of whom had young children - including myself. Everything has been thought of at Hill House and the Baby Station is a genius idea. Those of you with small children will know that you usually have to take half your house when you're going away. Not the case with Hill House - they provided most of the essentials you would need when travelling with little ones. Darren was really helpful on email beforehand and gave us numbers of taxi firms etc which was great.

We arranged for Bill the fish and chip man to come and cook for us on the Friday night and what a treat that was. The food was so lovely and fresh and he was super friendly and nice. We went for the Bespoke dinner on the Saturday night and Tara and the staff went above and beyond the call of duty. It was such an brilliant evening and I would recommend it for anyone going there for a celebration.

If you're looking for a big house with all the mod cons and home comforts for a week or weekend with friends/family/both, then I couldn't recommend Hill House highly enough. We had a truly magical weekend. Thank you so much Darren and team.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Friends getaway Families with young children
25 Aug 2014
Hi Bonnie, THANK YOU !!! We loved looking after you all and I'm so glad that we delivered. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review - really appreciated ! Darren
lyddy28
“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Once you reach the house up the long drive your holiday begins. We were celebrating 50 years of marriage with our children and grandchildren. There were fifteen of us plus Lola the dog. The ages ranged from 72 years old down to 4 years old. This house is beautiful and everything was provided, even a bowl of Easter eggs for an egg hunt!!! The hall led to an oak dining room and a TV lounge. The kitchen is homely and very well equipped with all you need. There is a huge pantry and separate laundry room. Off this is a delightful games room which the children loved. The other side of the hall is a very large comfortable lounge. If you look on their website, all the photographs are genuine, in fact the house is even more spacious and attractive than they give justice to. All the bedrooms and bathrooms are large. It is very well looked after and the grounds too are welcoming with a tennis court and pizza oven. We picked a wonderful spot and had a very memorable stay. I just cant recommend it more!!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The lounge which was peaceful and had a great log fire.
Liked least: I can honestly say there was nothing to dislike.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
29 Apr 2014
Thank you for the review. We're really glad that you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for recommending us. One of your friends has been in touch about a 70th birthday booking in December :) :) All the best, Darren
Jo S
London, United Kingdom
“Don't think twice - book it!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Stayed en famille to celebrate parents golden wedding anniversary. It was amazing. We only left the house once to go for a walk as it was so comfortable we didn't want to leave - never bored. A range of ages from 72 to 4 and every one of us was totally occupied the whole time. The most wonderful warm feeling permeates every room of the house - so much room for all of us, to be together or have time on your own, whatever you want. Never crowded. The kitchen does not lack for a thing - totally equipped with things you didn't even know you needed! Aga stove, two fridges, games room full of games, gorgeous grounds…..seriously - just book it - you will love it.

I have a few bits of feedback that I will email Darren, but these would no way prevent me from staying there again (as often as possible!):

1. There is only one bath towel and hand towel per person for a three day stay - I would suggest a towel cupboard with spare towels.
2. I spent ages trying to research the history of the house - i was fascinated by it - it is beautiful. I couldn't find much at all. I would have loved to have had a book or some information on the history of the house. It would have enhanced my stay.
3. It would be nice to have some comfortable garden furniture around the pond where we could have sat and chilled out.

To summarise - WE LOVED IT.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The cosiness of the house
Liked least: No history of the house
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
29 Apr 2014
Very kind to take the time to review us and thank you for some really constructive feedback. I hope we get to see you again. All the best, Darren
Esther G
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Amazing! Loved it!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

We recently stayed here with a large group of friends for a joint 40th birthday celebration. The house itself is stunning. All of the bedrooms were gorgeous, each with their own character. From the beamed attic rooms to the first floor large, contemporary room with walk in showers - there's something for everyone.
The drawing room was large and ideal for a party. The cocktails that came with the Bespoke Dinner option were superb. We also loved the cosy cinema room for chilling out and enjoying the lovely view of the garden from its large windows.
The games room was an added bonus and much enjoyed, as was the tennis court.
We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the fish n chips from Bill's van. Yum! And as for the Bespoke dinner - the food was delicious, well presented and served with a smile. We found the staff to be friendly but not intrusive. Perfect!
Darren was so helpful and, as many others have said, really has thought of everything. The golf & spa at Dunston Hall were an added bonus too.
We totally recommend this place... and hope to be back one day. Thanks Darren & the team at Hill House.

Friends getaway Families with young children
29 Apr 2014
Thank you so much for the review. It's really great to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. The Bespoke and fish and chip offerings are really going down well and I'll make sure that the team has read this.....All the best, Darren
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing