“Hidden gem”

southwell Fish Bar
Get food delivered
Ranked #376 of 779 Restaurants in Norwich
Reviewed 27 February 2021

We have always gone to a fish and chip shop down the road from here but the queues and parking there get on my nerves so we decided to try here instead. I am so glad we did, lovely people, huge portions, really good curry sauce, we all had haddock and chips and it was delicious. Free bag of prawn crackers too! We will go back again definitely ( and it was cheaper!)

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed 16 October 2020

Banging fish and chips!! Cooked. To. Perfection. Fresh, and not a bit oily. Portions are INSANE. Fair play to the person who can finish a large portion of these chips... The lady behind the counter is friendly AF, guaranteed to brighten your day. To top the whole experience off my fortune cookie always guarantees prosperity and wealth which, although hasn't come true yet, I still appreciate. Long live Southwell Fish Bar!!

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank HazWak
Reviewed 28 September 2020

Love this place. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but everything's always done fresh to order and the staff are really friendly. Can't beat it.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 17 October 2019

We moved to Southwell 4 years ago and were pleased there was a chippy here. The first time we had fish & chips from here the whole lot was literally dripping oil.I tried to suck some up it up with kitchen roll but ended up with lots of paper full of oil.The second visit was just as bad. Should have learned from the first visit. We haven't been back for 4 years but tonight I thought I would give them another chance to see if it had improved. It has not.

Although I cannot fault the portion size both the fish and chips were swimming in oil. No idea what oil they use but it leaves a taste in your mouth. I generally drive into Newark to the Appleton gate chippy but did not want to drive there tonight. Big mistake not to be repeated any time soon.

Date of visit: October 2019
1  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 8 August 2019 via mobile

Lovely people and the food is nice but I always feel it could be cooked for a little longer just to make it perfect

Date of visit: August 2019