“Overrated and overpriced”

Ranked #641 of 25 561 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

A friend who works at one of the hairdressers on Exmouth Market booked the table as she had heard great things about the place.
Waiters we're friendly though largely unattentative.
They had ran out of the Burrata so we had just the heart of the cheese, the starters took 20 mins to arrive, by the time the main meals had arrived 40 mins later we still hadn't received our drinks (which we had ordered on arrival despite asking numerous times)
I ordered the rump steak my friend the tuna but our main meals came ten minutes apart, the meat wasn't v warm, the fries and the potatoes oily.
Waited ages for the bill, this place is definitely style over substance and very over rated and over priced. Will not be returning.

Reviewed 23 December 2016

The Steaks and Tuna were outstanding. Fantastic to see the dry ageing in the window and the steaks being cut. Probably the best steak I have ever eaten (and I've had a few!)
The ambience was really good, a bit quirky, relaxed and fun. Service was a little 'off the mark' although friendly, we had to ask for missing starters and sides
The side vegetables were very small portions, not value for money and pretty uninspiring
Overall not cheap but a great experience if you want a FANTASTIC steak

MacellaioRC, Events Manager at Macellaio RC Exmouth Market, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Dear Peter J.,
Thank you so much for your positive review
We are so pleased you enjoyed your dining experience with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon

Reviewed 22 December 2016

Our bread basket and starter were wonderful. They didn't have the Burrata which we wanted but the suggested alternative was pretty great too. I opted for the pasta with beef ragu for my main but it was slightly disappointing. I thought with the emphasis on the meat, that it would be outstanding and meaty but it was bang average. The rib eye my boyfriend had on the other hand was outstanding! Could be one of the best steaks I have had in London! Cooked perfectly! He had a side of broccoli too which although rather small was extremely tasty. Generally a great experience, we'll go back and I'm definitely getting the steak!

Dear Vickii373,
Such a wonderful comment. We really appreciate you taking the time to write about your dining experience at Macellaio RC in Exmouth Market. The team here are delighted to hear such a fantastic feedback and we are looking forward to having you back with us very soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2016

This is the 5th time I visit 'Macellaio', but the first time I visit the branch at Exmouth Market. We were served by the fantastic Simone, honestly the most helpful, funny and sweet waiter you could ever meet. Not only was the meat incredible (it melts in your mouth!) but Simone's help and service just made everything a 5 star experience. Every time I go I ask myself why I don't go more often. Best meat restaurant in London without a shadow of a doubt.

Dear Arianna,
Thank you very much indeed for your concise and fantastic comments and ones which I will be sure to pass on to all the team and Simone in particular. They will be entirely pleased to hear such a " Wow " feedback. I hope we will welcome you back again very soon

Reviewed 30 November 2016

What a fantastic experience we had at Macellaio RC!
Our waiter, Simone, was very knowledgeable and very nice, the sommelier not too pushy and not trying to sell us the most expensive bottle, which I really appreciate.
We had the tuna tartare and meat tartare as a starters, they were perfect and the right size. We then had the fassona steak, which was out of this world.
Great service, not too expensive, very caring and attentive service without being intrusive/pushy.
This is probably our new favorite Italian restaurant!

Dear Marta G.,
It's a delight to read such a lovely review. The chef was delighted to hear such fantastic and heartwarming comments about his dishes as was the rest of our passionate team regarding the service you received during your visit.
I hope we can welcome you back again very soon