“Terrible meal and service”
Review of J Sheekey

J Sheekey
Reserve with OpenTable
J Sheekey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #793 of 24 672 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$40 - US$66
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: In the heart of Covent Garden, J Sheekey is a fish and seafood restaurant offering the finest fish, oysters, shellfish and other fruits de mer. Discreetly tucked away on St Martin's Court between Charing Cross Road and St Martin's Lane, J Sheekey is a stone's throw from many of the West End's theatres, the cinemas of Leicester Square and vibrant quarters of Covent Garden and Soho. The Royal Opera House and Coliseum, Palace Theatre, Donmar Warehouse, Wyndham's, Duke of York and Noel Coward Theatres are close by, making the restaurant perfect for pre and post theatre dining. All fish is responsibly caught from sustainable sources.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went here for my birthday. Sat outside. Terrible meal and service. They forgot to serve a dish and tried to convince me they had served it. Eventually they agreed to serve it but it was so delayed we ended up cancelling it. Atlantic prawns in salad didn’t seem fresh. Steak was overdone. Desserts (honeycomb ice cream and shortbread with ice cream) tasted like cheap supermarket stuff. If you’re looking for something special or even a half decent meal don’t go here. Not sure how this place has got such good reviews. Maybe the food and service is better if you sit inside.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 711)

12 - 16 of 2 711 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Grande Dame of fish restaurant's perched between Covent Garden and Leicester Sq. I've been going there 'on & off' since my 20's. For the past 25 years always immaculate service. NOT SO TODAY. Don't misunderstand me: the food was is and remains of the finest quality. Back in its heyday, this was a place to impress. I'm very disappointed by today's lunch on the terrace. We'd a 2.30pm booking. A waiter who obviously clocked off at 3pm couldn't give a toss. There was no 'hand over'. There was no 'check back' when the food arrived. (That - I believe - even Witherspoon's trains its staff to perform!!) They missed out our side order, we pointed it out and it spectacularly arrived some 20 minutes later after we'd finished our meal. "I'll take it off your bill" said the waitress. Not the point madam. A disappointing affair. I won't be going back. Shame really. If you pay those prices for that quality try Scott's instead. Ironically the same group I believe. Difference is the "service ethos" hasn't died a death at Scotts.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having heard good things about Sheekeys we lunched there with friends who had been there before and whose favourite was half lobster and chips - again they highly commended it. My crab pate followed by slip sole (something I had not previously come across) were utterly delicious. Far from cheap, but worth it. Excellent service from a charming young French lady. We will be returning.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A London local friend said this is their favorite restaurant in London, so I had high hopes. By mistake I made reservations at the restaurant next door, but apparently attached and owned by the same people. Nonetheless, they were friendly and understanding and seated us (so, if you book online, just be alert). The interior is cozy and sort of old fashioned with many signed headshots of stage actors, much like a tiny version of The Palm or other old Hollywood spots. Also, this is fish, fish and more fish, so if that's not your thing, this is not your spot. I like fish, but was not ready for the abrupt assault of fish smell because I am not a huge fan. So, that said, the fish was fresh and we ordered it simply prepared. I had a special, which included "mushy peas" (being my first real meal in London, this was new to me). Looking around the room, others seemed delighted with their food and the mixed seafood dishes looked really nice. For my taste, however, the food was generally bland and slightly overcooked, and I would have preferred a few simple non fish/seafood options. My husband thought it was fantastic, however. Like many restaurants in London, main dishes and sides are served a la carte. Sides were good too, but not memorable. Likewise for dessert - I literally do not recall what we had for dessert. The service was attentive and very good. In summary, my suggestion would be to read some other reviews for comparison and go from there.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Everyone enjoyed our lunch , in particular the smoked haddock soufflé was tremendous. Staff very attentive and polite, cannot fault it and will return.