“The freshest seafood every time!”
Review of J Sheekey

J Sheekey
Reserve with OpenTable
J Sheekey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #882 of 25 573 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$38 - US$63
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: In the heart of Covent Garden, J Sheekey is a fish and seafood restaurant offering the finest fish, oysters, shellfish and other fruits de mer. Discreetly tucked away on St Martin's Court between Charing Cross Road and St Martin's Lane, J Sheekey is a stone's throw from many of the West End's theatres, the cinemas of Leicester Square and vibrant quarters of Covent Garden and Soho. The Royal Opera House and Coliseum, Palace Theatre, Donmar Warehouse, Wyndham's, Duke of York and Noel Coward Theatres are close by, making the restaurant perfect for pre and post theatre dining. All fish is responsibly caught from sustainable sources.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I have been going to Sheekey for a long time so I am writing with some prejudice. I have never had a bad meal in this restaurant nor have I ever had bad service. The seafood is always fresh, always perfectly cooked and well presented. The service is always attentive but a bit haphazard when they are busy. You might have to wait a while for your bill but it is better than having to wait a while for your food! It is expensive but, for a central London serving fresh seafood, it is not prohibitively so. I agree with some of the other contributors, the noise level can be high when the place is packed and the tables are very close together. It is a small price to pay for really good seafood. Go early! The restaurant opens at 1700 and you can have a nice quiet meal then. For directions, Sheekey is in the middle of a pedestrian thoroughfare and the taxi can only drop you nearby.

Date of visit: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2 802)

158 - 162 of 2 802 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

From the doorman to the table I guess this dinning experience has not changed in years and why should it?

Had the set lunch of cauliflower soup, Asian sea bass and Welsh rarebit to finish.

All fantastic as is the decor.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Keeping with a Good Friday tradition of fish we plumped for here before a west end show and were delighted by it. The very attentive staff, Adrian was our main waiter and was excellent, and the extensive menu and real high quality food were a delight. As good as our meals were, and they were superb, we still had food envy at the other dishes being brought out, especially the massive fish and chips.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Prawns and dressed crab fantastic.house wine lovely, service great would thoroughly recommend this place to any fish lover

Chilli and garlic prawns an absolute dream

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I have tried and tried and also failed on so many occasions to have a seafood platter in this country that I had just about given up. After visiting this restaurant a small dream had come true. Gone were the roll mops, no sign of smoked salmon and that awful pre pre dressed crab with stale egg on the top, and with much relief, no jellied eels. All was exactly as it should have been, beautifully cooked seafood (to those who are unaware, this means it had a shell of some description) , classic accompaniments all of which added to the meal. I have spent all of my working life in kitchens, owned a seafood restaurant and worked in kitchens in Northern France where I found seafood to be treated as royalty, This place is well up there and confirmed as the only restaurant where I will order a seafood platter, even went on a Monday when it is difficult to get fresh produce and yet still fantastic, as a chef I highly advise you pay a visit. I must also mention that the service is amazing and so friendly, wine list fantastic and to all the team, thanks so much for curing my seafood nightmare in Britain, I have since bought two diner vouchers for friends. Can’t wait to visit again but I am an hour by train so I guess dodgy fish and chips is the best I can hope for for now. To all the chefs, brilliant the lot of you, waiters don’t take offence, you weren’t bad either.

1  Thank marcus l