“A Perfect Place”

Ranked #396 of 1 870 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

I discovered this Cemetery about 10 years ago while visiting an old aunt who lived nearby.
It's beautiful!
So peaceful and relaxing strolling amongst the Angels, Baby Cherubs complete with harps which loom up out out of the overgrown trees and shrubs.
Time has removed some of the names and some of the headstones have sunken low into the earth but it adds to the natural beauty of this Cemetery.
Bright green parrots weave in and out of the trees and I have also seen a few owls in the evening.
I think a few hours here offers the best therapy for inner city living possible and is perfect for moments of reflection.

Date of experience: February 2017
3  Thank susie1717m
All reviews
"st paul's cathedral"
"grave stones"
in 3 reviews
"joggers and dog walkers"
"great victorian"
"paths"
in 8 reviews
"wildlife"

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

We had a lovely walk here. Some very interesting graves and buildings. Lots of dogs and wild life.you can hear and see the parakeets

Date of experience: October 2016
2  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed 5 August 2016

I didn't believe my eyes how that cemetery was handsome, you can spend severals hours into that little forest, History is there!

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank Mathieulomb
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

Nunhead cemetery has got to be one of my favourites in the world. Don't expect highly polished paths and tombstones. Oh no friends - this little gem is a wonderland of the macabre and a great joy to dog walkers.

Great for a stroll or an alternative view of St Pauls. Well worth checking out.

Date of experience: June 2016
4  Thank solubleduck
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 June 2016

I visited this cemetery years ago but forgot all about it until I moved back in the area and wanted to see it again. I remembered it was lovely but going back really made me realise that it is a real gem in south east London. It's quiet. It's like little woodlands, and you meet a few people walking their dogs, jogging or just having a quiet time reading a book or a paper. Away from the hustle and bustle of London.
I walked there so I don't know if there are buses taking you right outside, but it's just a short walk away from Nunhead train station. There is a car park outside and you can also leave your bike there. I am unsure if we can cycle in the cemetery, but I would certainly like to.
Although it is a bit spooky walking in a cemetary, there are lovely angels around and it's very green so you almost forget where you are.
fabulous place for a quiet time.

Date of experience: June 2016