“Really gone down hill”

The Regent Bar Balham
Ranked #707 of 1 326 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Independent, inviting and right up your street, The Regent is a pretty handsome and friendly local serving darn tasty pub food with a beer selection to take care of every palate, classically perfect cocktails and wines to wet your whistle. Reclaimed oak tables, cosy booth seating and exposed bricks will tempt you in for a bite, from signature burgers to bar snacks and sharing plates. Come the weekend, The Regent's got you covered with its all day recovery brunch menu, get-the-party-started cocktails and Sunday roasts to gather everyone around. Our hidden terrace aims to provide a side of sunshine with your tipple whilst at the back of the pub you will find three giant screens and projectors creating the perfect viewing for all sports. We are very partial to a party, and would love to host yours. Get in touch, tell us what you need, and let us do the legwork. Whether you need a few tables for an overdue catch up with friends, an area to celebrate any kind of occasions or a space to watch 'your team of legends' on our big screens, we will nail it.
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Have been drinking eating intermittently in the regent for some time and would always head there for a drink and some food in Balham (I live in Streatham Hill). However, I’ve recwived less than friendly customer service for my last two visits (different staff). First time, I wasn’t satisfied with the taste of my beer - had to practically argue my case to condasending staff despite me politely pointing out that I didn’t feel it was quite right (sour). One member of staff actually drank out of the glass and tried to give it back! Eventually/begrudgingly given another beer but had sour looks for he rest of the afternoon when at the bar (seriously).

Then today, chose a table big enough to seat the group who were on their way down... yes it had a dirty plate and a couple of dirty glasses on it... but when waitress came to clear the table (took the plate only, left the dirty glasses), she had to ask why I had chosen a table that needed clearing when there were empty, clean ones. I mean, sorry... but when was it such a chore to have customers??!! When I explained why, she just walked off and left the rest behind. I had to move the rest myself.

Seriously guys, get some smiling going with your service and drop the rudeness. If you don’t like dealing with reasonable people just looking to have a drink and some grub, go do something else. A real shame as wont be going back.

LivelyhoodPubs, Manager at The Regent Bar Balham, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Hi Alex, thanks for your review! I am so sorry to hear about your experience and would like to reassure you that this is certainly not the way we set out to treat our customers. We would love to have you in for lunch or dinner on us, with a guests, so we can look after you properly and show you how we normally go about things! To take us up on this offer please email me on jessica@livelyhood.co.uk. I hope to hear from you soon. Best wishes, Jess

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

I was entertaining a business partner from New York, who wanted to try a British pub, because I live locally, I thought this pub may be a good choice, this could be no further from the truth. We waited 25 minutes to be served, as was told drinks and food are ordered at the table. When the drinks arrived, they were wrong and the manager managed to spill some of the pint of beer into my associates lap, without acknowledgment. When we ordered it took another 40 mins to arrive, it was cold, undercooked meat, and I was ashamed to have taken my associate there, as an example of an English pub. I did not try to complain, because I recognised that the attitude of the staff was slipshod and cavalier, on leaving I found that service charge was included and found myself paying for no service. I will never return to the regent again and would recommend all the people locally that I know, to give it a wide birth. I certainly will not be giving it my business again...despicable, disgraceful. Decor pleasant, service and attitude of staff incompetent and high handed.

LivelyhoodPubs, Manager at The Regent Bar Balham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Hi James, thank you for your review and I am so sorry to hear that we didn't get it spot on when you visited. We would love to have you back in, with a guest, for lunch or dinner on us to show you that what you experienced is not the norm! Please just email me on jessica@livelyhood.co.uk and I will arrange it all. Best wishes, Jess

Reviewed 27 September 2017

This pub is fine if you want a few drinks and to watch a bit of sport. But absolutely do not come here to eat. The service was awful, we waited about 45 minutes for our food - and when it came out the sausage and mash was without doubt the worst I've ever had. The "mash" was the texture of cottage cheese - I think they drowned it in gravy to hide how bad it was. The sausages were horribly burnt.

LivelyhoodPubs, Manager at The Regent Bar Balham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Hi John, Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback, it appears our food and service was not up to its usual best on the day you visited! We would like to reassure you this is not our best practice and would like to invite you back in for a meal on us. Please email me on Jessica@livelyhood.co.uk to arrange this. I look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Jess

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

The manager appears to be on a bit of a power trip, which unfortunately results in poor respect directed towards paying customers. A shame really. The pasta is undercooked and the burger had no flavour at all. Thus, I wouldn’t recommend these dishes at all. Unless you are desperate, I wouldn’t advise dining here, whether it be for food or a casual drink. There are plenty better places within the proximity of this “pub”.