“Seafood lovers paradise, but not cheap”
Review of Prawn on the Lawn

Prawn on the Lawn
Ranked #422 of 27 045 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Prawn On The Lawn is a fishmonger and seafood restaurant with table and bar seating that takes reservations. We serve tapas style plates and sharing platters and pride ourselves on providing fresh, seasonal, sustainable fish from the North Cornish coast where we also have our sister restaurant.
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Although I have been a regular visitor, for various reasons this was my first visit to the new London premises. The new place is bigger, more accessible but perhaps has lost the fishmonger with tables feel. It is now a restaurant that will sell fresh seafood. I was eating with my brother. As i was early I sneaked the house bloody mary. Very nice, very lively. The food menu is on blackboards. It i served as small sharing portions. We went through seared tuna, king prawns, crab, sardines, scallops, the signature "prawn on the lawn", mussels & clams all washed down with the house grollo gris white wine. No ceviche on the menu this time - which was a shame as it has always been excellent. The service was attentive and professional. There were two negatives: the tables are too close together and it is expensive for hat you get, but I will be making my next visit soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Very unimpressed with this ‘london’ concept charging over the odds London pricing.

We come from London and read good things about the restaurant.

Luckily we had eaten in some fantastic places in st ives, Newlynn and port Isaac in order to give us a comparison of great restaurants in Cornwall.

We found pricing to be above that of even central London. We found the service super slow, with an hours wait between oysters and our mains. The restaurant wasn’t overly busy either, there were 16 people in there during our visit. To rub salt in the wound, the table next to us turned up half way into our meal (sorry ‘waiting time’) and got their food at half the waiting time. It was a joke. Total time
From ordering to our mains 1 hour 10 minutes. Oysters with very little preparation time came out after 10 minutes.

The red mullet which weighed in at £20 for Something so small and Tiny we thought it was just laughable.

It is astonishing that with all the fantastic restaurants in padstow and Cornwall that an establishment like this has managed to stay open for as long as it has. Actually it’s astonishing that it’s managed to stay open in London so long too, if this is the standard they set.

If people think this is what a London restaurant is, then this is doing London a disservice. It does Cornwall a massive disservice too, avoid like the plague.

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

First visit to this place and we were all really impressed with the food. You order a number of different plates like you would with tapas, they had sold out of the King Prawns and did forget our drinks order, to which we ended up eating half of our meal before the drinks came out - hence the 4/5 stars.

The Caramel pot is lovely but very sickly!! I think the creme on top is too much with this, managed to eat half of it we all wished we had shared this!

Not bad prices for London and they don’t include the service charge on the bill which is rare in London but I like - gives you a chance to tip what you think is fair!

The toilets are also really well kept which is always a good sign! Private room downstairs you can hire looked great too. Definitely will be returning, just make sure you book for a weekend a few weeks in advance!!

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

I’ve been tying to eat here for a while and very disappointed

Service was non existent.... we had to ask to order after half of waiting

Most of the food was delicious but the red mullet tasted very chemically. Portion sizes were extremely small and therefore very expensive for what you got.

Overall a massive dissapointment and far better restaurants nearby.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

For a long while Prawn on the Lawn had the highest rating of any London restaurant on TripAdvisor. And rightly so. I was keen patron of PotL in its former edgy kitchen-less jaunt round the corner and sung its praises to everyone that would listen.

So this week, in need of a special restaurant for a special occasion, I found myself making a reservation at an old favourite in its no longer new home.

As always, it was marvellous.

So when popping on here to leave a review I was surprised to see it only has 4.5 stars. Now I acknowledge that 4.5 stars is not bad, quite the contrary. Its a 90% hit rate. Its almost perfect. But there are various other restaurants on here, one I recently went to, that have similar ratings and are, to be polite, not almost perfect and most definitely not at the level of PotL.

So my advice, if you: a) consider yourself a foodie; b) love seafood; c) understand that good food and paying staff well costs money - then come here. If you answer no to any of the above don’t waste your time because this place is wasted on you. I recently reviewed a restaurant up in Muswell Hill that has a similar rating on here that might be more up your street.

Date of visit: August 2018