“A Special Experience”

Ranked #222 of 24 648 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: The Thames Foyer is very much the heart of The Savoy. A stunning glass dome floods this sociable spot with wonderful natural light - and beneath this, a pianist serenades guests from a winter garden gazebo, as they enjoy our world-famous afternoon tea. Afternoon Tea at The Savoy is an enduring custom where guests can choose from a range of teas served with finger sandwiches, homemade scones with clotted cream & jam and a mouth-watering selection of seasonal cakes and pastries created by The Savoy's Executive Pastry Chef, Ludwig Hely.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I enjoyed Afternoon Tea at The Savoy last week. The food, service and atmosphere was exceptional. We were celebrating our anniversary and baby moon and to our surprise and delight, the team gave us a little baby gift at the end. It was such a lovely experience. We look forward to visiting again.

PhilipBarnes1, Managing Director at The Savoy at Afternoon Tea at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Kat Q,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Savoy for Afternoon Tea, we are delighted you chose to visit us to celebrate your anniversary and baby moon. I was thrilled to read your kind comments, and so pleased that you were looked after so well by our outstanding team.

We aim to give our guests the most memorable of experiences, and it is always so pleasing to hear we have got this right. I will have delight in sharing your kind comments regarding the food and attentive service with my colleagues.

We do hope you will return to The Savoy again very soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon tea here . The meal was excellent as was the house Champagne. I was brought a little cake complete with candle as it was my birthday.
Booking is needed but it is worth waiting for.

Dear easterbunny59,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea. At The Savoy we aim to give our guests the most memorable of experiences, and it is always so pleasing to hear we have got this right, and you were able to celebrate your birthday in true Savoy style.

We do hope you will return to The Savoy again very soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

So, I had booked to have afternoon tea at the savoy about 2 months in advance to celebrate our anniversary. I had specifically mentioned over the phone that this was booked for an occasion and that one of the afternoon teas needed to be gluten free (I have coeliac disease). On the day we arrived 15 minutes late which was no issue for them (thank goodness because at one point we were literally sprinting there) and we were asked to take a seat whilst they prepared our table. We were sat opposite the pianist which was lovely. The staff were very warm and the service was fantastic. The sandwiches (both GF and normal) were superb as well as the desserts. I had the best GF bread EVER and the desserts tasted exactly how I remember ‘normal’ desserts to taste! We asked for a top up of sandwiches which was no issue... by the time the cakes came around we were absolutely stuffed! There was a wide selection of tea, we chose one to begin with (we both chose different teas) but after a while we got bored so asked to change the teas to something different which was no problem at all. The savoy staff kindly surprised us with a ‘happy anniversary’ lit cake and a lovely card which was very nice of them. Our booking was for 17:45 and we stayed for around 3hrs before we chose to be seated in their cocktail bar. The lady serving us was very accommodating and she told us that whenever we were ready to be moved we should just let her know so she can prepare our table at the cocktail bar before moving over. The cocktail bar was wonderful too. All in all, we had the best experience ever and we will definitely remember it for a long time. Thank you Savoy staff for being so wonderful!

Dear Claudia A,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and were able to celebrate your anniversary in true Savoy style. At The Savoy we take great pride in delivering to our guests an exceptional and memorable experience, and it is truly a pleasure to hear that my colleagues have looked after you so well.

I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed all of the delicious food, and we were able to cater for your special dietary requirements.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Savoy very soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I’d booked afternoon tea as a treat for my Mother while we were in London for just a few hours. I booked it weeks in advance. It was last year, but I’ve only just realised I hadn’t left a review, but felt I must share our experience.
When we arrived we were completely ignored, then told we were too early, but only by a few minutes, five? ten? so we went into the shop and bought some over-priced chocolates to give as gifts. These turned out to be very boring, and most were discarded, a shocking waste of money
We were seated in the foyer/lounge and ordered sandwiches, but we couldn’t choose individual fillings. I did say we don’t like smoked salmon, but it was served. The only sandwich we both liked was the coronation chicken. We were offered more of these, thank goodness, as the black & white sandwich filling was the most unappetising sandwich filling I’ve ever seen. Cold mushroom with cubes of white cheese, it was either goat or feta cheese, I cannot remember.
We were then served scones with jam & clotted cream, but as we come from Devon, home of the cream tea, this was not an overwhelming experience. We were asked if we’d like jam or lemon curd. The smallest portions I’ve ever seen, a teaspoon of each served in tiny dishes. I should have asked for both, for both of us, we were served four scones, two each, but only ate one each. There is nothing worse than scone left over when you've eaten all the jam and cream.
The cakes and pastries were mostly too sweet and sickly, so I asked for the bill. The waitress seemed alarmed as we hadn’t had our two special cakes. A choice of two flavours, but we both chose the apple and cinnamon. They were without doubt the smallest cakes I have ever seen. They appeared to have been baked in the same size moulds as those used to make the chocolates which are sold in the shop.
I’ve never paid so much for so little, it was supposed to be a treat for Mum, it was certainly memorable, but not for the right reasons.
The ladies powder room was very nice, but could do with refreshing, décor was slightly shabby. Surprised the flowers in the foyer were artificial.
We left as we arrived, feeling like we were invisible. We walked down to the Strand and hailed a taxi. Would have been nice if a doorman or porter could have assisted, my Mother is 90, albeit quite sprightly.
Overall, it was a very disappointing experience. We had intended it to be a test run for longer stay, as it had been recommended.
We will revisit Claridge’s, it is still our benchmark for a truly special afternoon tea.

1  Thank LindsayEH

Dear LindsayEH,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Savoy. We really do appreciate our guests taking the time to leave feedback.

May I first of all say how very sorry I am that you left the hotel less than satisfied with your Afternoon Tea. We all take great pride in providing our guests with the highest standards of food and service, and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations in both of these areas.

Could I ask that you contact my colleague, Athina Panagiotaki, our Thames Foyer Manager at: Athina.Panagiotaki@Fairmont.com, who would like to reach out to you and find out more about your visit.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Wow! Had a superb time! Piano playing in background, the setting was amazing our waiter was very efficient! Tea menu vast! Sandwiches very fresh and not your ordinary fillings, cakes out of this world, very rich and to die for!!! I’m not s sweet person but I couldn’t resist and had at least half a dozen! If there was anything to complain about it would have to be the seating, mum and I sat in sofas which were very comfortable but found this to be awkward when eating and drinking as too far from table! Having said this I would definitely come back to celebrate a special occasion! Thank you for a wonderful couple of hours of pure indulgence.

1  Thank Adams503775

Dear Adams503775,

Thank you for your five star review. At The Savoy we pride ourselves on delivering the most memorable of experiences to all of our guests. I am so glad we achieved this during your visit, and you had a wonderful afternoon. I do note your comments regarding the seating - we offer a choice of either comfortable sofas, or more traditional tables and upright chairs; had you of mentioned your discomfort during your time with us we would have been more than happy to move you if another table was available. I am pleased this did not impair too greatly on your enjoyment of the afternoon.

We are absolutely delighted that you plan to return, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Savoy.

Kind regards,

Managing Director at The Savoy

Been to Afternoon Tea at The Savoy? Share your experiences!