“Worst pub ever!!!”

Price range: US$9 - US$16
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Description: This pub is the sole survivor of the riverside inns that existed here in Shakespeare's time when this district was at the heart of theatreland and the Thames was London's principal highway. It was frequented by many actors from the neighbouring playhouses, including the Globe, the Swan and the Rose. It is where diarist Samuel Pepys saw the Great Fire of London in 1666. He wrote that he took refuge in "a little alehouse on bankside ... and there watched the fire grow". Another fire devastated the pub whose interior was mainly constructed of oak. It was rebuilt in 1676 and has since had additions over the centuries. The Anchor tavern became a favourite place for river pirates and smugglers: during the course of repairs carried out in the early 19th century the removal of a massive oak beam revealed ingeniously contrived hiding places which were probably used for the storage of stolen goods and contraband.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was the most disgusting pub I have ever visited!!! I have never encountered such rude bar staff. One of the bartenders was actually cursing out the customers when they asked for a drink. When I asked one of the managers for help he said he was too busy and didn’t have time for customers. Waited over 45 min and still never got a drink. Left very disappointed. Will never be returning.

1  Thank xmeaganoo
Alex K, General Manager at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Sorry but this is so fabricated. Neither our bar team or any of my management team would act this way. I don't believe in anyway this to be a genuine review.

I have reported to Tripadvisor

Write a ReviewReviews (1 454)

14 - 18 of 1 454 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited the anchor for the first time on Wednesday, and what a lovely surprise it was! Surrounded with great views,it’s the perfect place for somthing to eat and drink ! We sat inside for a while then made our way outside to the outside bar along the river. The staff are really friendly and even though they were clearly busy they took the time to talk to you. The waitresses/waiters couldn’t do enough for you and the Food was great value for money! We left full and happy. Definitely recommend a visit. We can’t wait to return!

Fantastic review, thank you very much.

Best regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Been a loyal customer at this pub for many years now l, have never experienced this kind of abysmal service considering this place has 4 bars and 3 of then have closed to not enough glasses it’s something that should never happen in a busy city pub. The entire bar is covered in glasses coz they couldn’t keep up with the washing or the demand. I’m very disappointed that I have to write this review as one bad experience can overshadow all the good ones.

2  Thank Gintare Z
Alex K, General Manager at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

The new management is trying very hard to rebuild the Anchor after this great business was left to full down on its knees. Nothing but hard work, grit and determination and a lot of experience from me will get this business back to greatness! Considering the location and the inundation of customers in such great weather without enough staff to manage it correctly I think your review is very unfair on us. The team are working their hardest and I honestly can't abide 1st time reviewers who jump on Tripadvisor and do nothing but complain. And just for the record all 4 bars are in operation so please don't exaggerate.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been there to see a football match with some friends. The food was disappointing. I realise that it’s not a five stars restaurant but even if it’s a pub food you can cook up to standards or you can just heat the meal and throw it into a plate. I have eaten way better in other pubs of the same company.
I’ve been to the anchor several times because I think it’s the nicest pub in London, especially in summer it’s lovely, so it’s a shame that they don’t pay any attention to how the food it’s served. The service, the atmosphere, the drinks and everything else was great.
I will definitely come back but only for drinks.

1  Thank Coccone5
Alex K, General Manager at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for the review. Have to say as much as I appreciate feedback sometimes it can sound more like a complaint rather than a constructive review sometimes.

The food will be massively improving as of this coming Tuesday when I take over the Anchor as its new manager. I also have a very experienced new kitchen manager joining us so everyone can expect great things to come where the food is concerned.

Great that you think its the nicest pub in London, don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that.

Next time you come back give us another try on the food and you wont be disappointed

Best regards

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

It either takes something really bad or really great for me to write a review on trip advisor, unfortunately this was the latter.

We went here for some food and a few drinks with my brother and sister in law. We got a table on the terrace next to the river. The first staff came around and picked up a pint glass but ignored all the rubbish from the previous people as well as the baked on bird poo on the table. Food came and the half roast chicken was tiny (it was in no way a full half a chicken), the burger was dried up with a tiny portion of chips and no other salad etc. My ham, egg and chips was ok, but I guess it’s pretty hard to get that wrong. We ordered a cheesy garlic bread which we sent back when it was literally two small slices of cold regular garlic bread, the waiter just disappeared off and didn’t come back. The other staff seemed confused that we were raising this with them and reassured us it was coming, which after about 40 mins of the same routine with different staff became a bit of comedy. One waiter however really pissed us off by demanding to see our receipt for the food we sent back and had terrible attitude towards us, putting on quite an affront and acting like we shouldn’t have got his attention to begin with. We left after about 2 hours never having got the food we paid for.We had to sort out our own cutlery and sauces. The outside bar area smelt of vomit. There was a limited selection of drinks at the outside bar (e.g., no gin, no cider), and the inside bar had run out of both the most popular lagers, meaning it took about 20 minutes to get served in a bar that wasn’t even that busy. The management of this place need to seriously review the management and training of their staff. It was bad to the extent that we left feeling quite amused at the faulty towers quality of how we had been treated.

Good for a beer by the river or to watch the football but not much else, which is a shame as it could be outstanding with the location.

1  Thank Kyle A

Hi Kyle,

Just wanted to respond to you personally to let you know that as of Tuesday I will be taking over the management of the Anchor. The previous management has now gone and reviews like this were to often for anyone's liking. As an experienced manager and trainer manager I will be indeed bringing all the team up to my standards so we can ensure experiences like yours don't happen again.

By the time I've finished with the Anchor it will be outstanding as you say.

Give us a try in the near future and see the difference.

Kind regards