“The Lieutenant of Inishmore”

Noel Coward Theatre
Ranked #94 of 1 870 things to do in London
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

When my mother was taken ill shortly into the performance on the 28th of June, the staff were brilliant in helping her out, ensuring she was alright and offering refreshments free of charge. They could not have done more to make sure we were then able to enjoy the play. Fantastic staffing and care and a great performance too. Thank you!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"leicester square"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The Noel coward theatre is a beautiful little old theatre with lots of character and charm. Aidan turner was absolutely fantastic and the play was brilliant and very funny. We had seats in the royal circle and we had a fantastic view of the stage. I would highly recommend this theatre and would definitely recommend seeing the lieutenant of inishmore, especially if Aidan turner is still performing.

2  Thank nadineSomerset
Reviewed 4 June 2018

One of the hardest things to find at the theatre is something really different that is also well written, well acted and entertaining, Quiz ticks all these boxes and more.
The brilliant cast involve the audience at every stage and deliver a thought provoking story with humour and real atmosphere.
The theatre is ideally suited with no seat too far from the stage. There are even seats on it where you can become part of the play.
A great night out

Reviewed 2 June 2018

Quiz 30/5/18 - fantastic show, well worth catching if you can. Great cast & clever staging.

The staff were lovely and very friendly.

I sat in the front row - row C for this show, seat C15. Great view and lots of leg room.

Stop reading and just go book it ;-)

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Visited yesterday with my 11 and 13 year olds to see the wonderful ‘Quiz’. It was our first time at this theatre.

Some London theatres can have really poor leg room, but we did not find this here. Our tickets were in Row B of the Royal Circle, and were perfectly fine for my son and I at 5’3’’ to cross and uncross legs comfortably without knocking the seats in front! Admittedly they were top price tickets, so I don’t know if leg room in some of the other price bands would be more challenging.

The view from our seats was absolutely excellent, as in this section the rows are raked well, so we were a good distance above heads in front. If sitting in the Royal Circle I would recommend seats on the right as you face the stage, purely because the door is that side and you will be up and out faster at the interval!

Toilet facilities are fairly limited, as in any old theatre, and rather randomly situated! For example, for us in the Royal Circle the ladies were out and over the foyer, but the gents was right the way downstairs in the stalls - quite a few flights of stairs down. This would only be an issue if you were there with a girl and a boy who both needed them at the same time - it could be a challenging interval if they were too young to find their own way to either and you had to go to both! Luckily this wasn’t an issue for us but I could see it could be. Top tip: when we were standing in a queue for the ladies in the foyer, staff came along and said to go up to the ones in the Grand Circle as there was nobody queueing there! Much easier! They are very well presented and clean.

All staff were really friendly and efficient, and at the end I could see that they were immediately on hand waiting to help patrons with mobility problems back into wheelchairs. On this point, I believe that the Royal Circle is the place to go if you have access issues, as the Stalls are several flights down from ground level, unusually.

Also on the topic of disability, I noticed that on their website they have an autism section, I think on the ‘Access’ page, with a ‘Social Story’ of photos to help prepare those with autism about what to expect. My son has high-functioning autism, copes well and we didn’t need to show him this as we are regular theatre-goers, but it would be really useful for many people with autism. The photos even explain what happens if it is all too much and you need to go out - you can carry on watching the play on a screen outside, and there is also a beautiful-looking quiet room that you can go to! This seems to be a very autism-aware and friendly theatre - very well done to them!

The cost of the programme and ice cream was not as extortionate as in some theatres we go to - I thought the £4 programme we bought was absolutely excellent with really interesting articles related to the play, and £3 per ice cream tub (Haagen Dazs) was also cheaper than I have to pay elsewhere.

We didn’t go to the bars, but did pass through them, and they seemed very pleasant and spacious.

A very good first impression of this theatre and I would certainly return.

Also just to say that there are several restaurant chains next door, next door but one, and up the road from the theatre, making it just a hop, skip and a jump to get there from a pre-theatre meal. We can recommend the well known pizza chain next door but one - they were clearly very used to providing swift service to theatregoers.

A note on ‘Quiz’ itself - this is only on for a couple more weeks but catch it if you can - really fun, fast-moving and thought-provoking, and very different! Be aware if you are taking younger children that there is some occasional strong language in it, but for secondary school age children such as mine it was nothing they weren’t already aware of, and was used in context, so not a problem for us.

3  Thank TwoDividedByZero