“Wonderful service, Neat theme.”

Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 127 of 27 042 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$51 - US$90
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Sanderson invites you to tumble down the rabbit hole and discover a tea party beyond your wildest imagination, inspired by the whimsical world of Alice in Wonderland. With menus hidden inside vintage books and teapots adorned with kings and queens, our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea is full of sweet treats and savoury delights to tantalise your taste buds. From Smoked Salmon Scotch Quails Egg and melt-in-your-mouth Ham and Parmesan Croque-Monsieur to the Queen of Hearts Rose and Strawberry Jammy Dodger, complete with the Mad March Hare Vanilla Pocket Watch Macaroon, there’s no excuse not to be late for this important date. Wash everything down with Alice’s Exotic Fruits “Drink Me” potion and a glass of Laurent-Perrier Champagne for good measure. And for the afternoon tea traditionalists, finish up with warm scones, clotted cream and fruit preserve, perfectly paired with Alice-inspired tea infusions.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went to Afternoon Tea on Easter Sunday and the Mad Hatter theme was combined with a bit of the Easter Bunny. Our service was wonderful, the staff was very friendly and explained everything.

The "savory" section was the only disappointment. Maybe I should have asked for the vegetarian option, but I didn't so I thought I could struggle through the meats. The crab piece was very strong and I could only handle two bites. And when I cut open the quail egg, I found hairs in the salmon that surrounded the egg. No way was I eating that!!!

But the scones were pleasant, the cream and jam were delicious, and the desserts were fabulous! They were beautifully presented and quite tasty! I enjoyed the Cheshire Cat tea and found myself drinking the whole pot!

Yes, it was expensive, but I viewed it as an experience more than a meal out. With that said, despite not eating half the savory course, I was still quite full when I left. All in all, a good way to spend Easter afternoon.

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2 422)

229 - 233 of 2 422 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

This visit for a mad hatter afternoon tea was for a friends birthday treat, and had been excitedly long awaited.
Our first impression was when we were shown to an outside seating area in a marquee, type set-up with heaters, with absolutely no hint of the Mad Hatter theme. The staff were very pleasant, and explained ‘how things worked’ with regard to the flavoured speciality teas, and the actual food content. There is some crockery and a napkin ring that refers to the theme, but we felt more could have done to improve the atmosphere and make the whole experience more authentic. Some of the food itself is a little unusual, to be expected, but we all struggled with most of the sweet items, we found them too rich and sweet, even the scones were either vanilla or almond flavoured. We did enjoy our treat, but just felt it was VERY expensive for what it was, and more could be made of the theme to make it more special, and give it the WOW factor.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

The idea of Alice in Wonderland is great but they don't execute it well. The service was good but the food, not so much. Sandwiches were dry and had no flavor. The sweets was nothing spectacular. The worst part about it is it is extremely overpriced. Converted to US dollars it's $83/person. I would save my money and just go to an actual bakery and eat in the park.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Booked in this tea to celebrate my birthday with two friends. Id heard lots about this place and it was always on my list of teas to go to. I was very excited to visit here as a bday treat.
The ambiance was ok, I guess in the summer it would be better and not give the feeling of being sat in a marquee but the weather was pleasant so it work well.
The service was average, the place was fully booked so you could see the staff were under pressure to get to all the tables. When we were greeted the service was fairly pleasant.
What really let it down was the actual afternoon tea itself. It all comes out in one go. The tea, the sandwiches, the cakes and scones. For me an afternoon tea is more enjoyable where you get each "course" served one after the other. It felt like a real conveyor belt style of serving, one table in one table out... Not all the sandwiches were given, having read the menu I had to request the fourth sandwich (croque monsieur)
We were asked if wanted more but the refills didn't come out until we had waited more than 15 mins (and moved onto our cakes) refills of tea were far and few between so these was cold. It seemed like an inconvenience to request a fresh plate for cakes. When we did get on to our scones, they were cold. We asked if they could be reheated and we told simply "no".
All in all, the afternoon wasn't a treat. The Mad Hatter theme wasn't even that prominent.. not as it looks in the pictures online. It was a rushed average tea. Save your money and go to M&S for nicer, fresh sandwiches and cold scones.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

A friend had gone for this Afternoon tea inspired form Alice in Wonderland so for my sister´s 40th I decided to take her on our trip to London. It did not disappoint. Set in a well thought out setting in a garden space in the middle of the building where sprinkling water fountain set the tone for a delightful experience. The food and cakes were innovative and true to the story and not to mention tasty. Quality of food exquisit and service impecible. We had the champagne and rosebud tea of highest quality and of course had to take a lot of pictures. I totally recommend for any occation. there is not a single thing that could be different.

Date of visit: January 2018

Been to Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson? Share your experiences!