“Wonderful service, Neat theme.”

Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 481 of 24 242 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$57 - US$100
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Sanderson invites you to tumble down the rabbit hole for the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland and enjoy all the splendour of a Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea. Discover menus hidden inside vintage books, teapots adorned with kings and queens, sandwich plates decorated with birdcages, carousels and ticking clocks upon which rest savoury, specialty sandwiches. Classic Cucumber, Goat Cheese Croque-Monsieur, White Crab Eclairs are all created for guests with specially selected ingredients to delight the senses. The ending is as divine as the start. Choice is unending, but a few hints follow forthwith... Scones are sinful, the red velvet Ladybird Cake inspires tears of culinary joy, and time stops when tasting our chocolate-coated, coffee-flavoured Pocket-Watch Macaroons. The star attraction, however, is our collection of Sanderson-Exclusive Teas. In celebration of the sesquicentennial anniversary of Lewis Carroll's classic novel, Sanderson is simply giddy to introduce 5 new, tailor-made teas inspired by the characters of this beloved story. "Alice" has transformed into China Black Tea infused with hints of blackcurrant, vanilla, caramel, citrus, bergamot, blue cornflowers and blue mallow flowers. These are now available to purchase at £12-15 each. The Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea at Sanderson will continue to evolve, with elements and flavours changing seasonally. Tea is served daily and is priced between £48 and £65 per person excluding service, £35 per child for children 4-11 years old. On Valentine's weekend, Mother's Day weekend and other special holiday weekends, Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea is priced from £58 per person for special packages.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Went to Afternoon Tea on Easter Sunday and the Mad Hatter theme was combined with a bit of the Easter Bunny. Our service was wonderful, the staff was very friendly and explained everything.

The "savory" section was the only disappointment. Maybe I should have asked for the vegetarian option, but I didn't so I thought I could struggle through the meats. The crab piece was very strong and I could only handle two bites. And when I cut open the quail egg, I found hairs in the salmon that surrounded the egg. No way was I eating that!!!

But the scones were pleasant, the cream and jam were delicious, and the desserts were fabulous! They were beautifully presented and quite tasty! I enjoyed the Cheshire Cat tea and found myself drinking the whole pot!

Yes, it was expensive, but I viewed it as an experience more than a meal out. With that said, despite not eating half the savory course, I was still quite full when I left. All in all, a good way to spend Easter afternoon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 218)

33 - 37 of 2 219 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This visit for a mad hatter afternoon tea was for a friends birthday treat, and had been excitedly long awaited.
Our first impression was when we were shown to an outside seating area in a marquee, type set-up with heaters, with absolutely no hint of the Mad Hatter theme. The staff were very pleasant, and explained ‘how things worked’ with regard to the flavoured speciality teas, and the actual food content. There is some crockery and a napkin ring that refers to the theme, but we felt more could have done to improve the atmosphere and make the whole experience more authentic. Some of the food itself is a little unusual, to be expected, but we all struggled with most of the sweet items, we found them too rich and sweet, even the scones were either vanilla or almond flavoured. We did enjoy our treat, but just felt it was VERY expensive for what it was, and more could be made of the theme to make it more special, and give it the WOW factor.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The idea of Alice in Wonderland is great but they don't execute it well. The service was good but the food, not so much. Sandwiches were dry and had no flavor. The sweets was nothing spectacular. The worst part about it is it is extremely overpriced. Converted to US dollars it's $83/person. I would save my money and just go to an actual bakery and eat in the park.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked in this tea to celebrate my birthday with two friends. Id heard lots about this place and it was always on my list of teas to go to. I was very excited to visit here as a bday treat.
The ambiance was ok, I guess in the summer it would be better and not give the feeling of being sat in a marquee but the weather was pleasant so it work well.
The service was average, the place was fully booked so you could see the staff were under pressure to get to all the tables. When we were greeted the service was fairly pleasant.
What really let it down was the actual afternoon tea itself. It all comes out in one go. The tea, the sandwiches, the cakes and scones. For me an afternoon tea is more enjoyable where you get each "course" served one after the other. It felt like a real conveyor belt style of serving, one table in one table out... Not all the sandwiches were given, having read the menu I had to request the fourth sandwich (croque monsieur)
We were asked if wanted more but the refills didn't come out until we had waited more than 15 mins (and moved onto our cakes) refills of tea were far and few between so these was cold. It seemed like an inconvenience to request a fresh plate for cakes. When we did get on to our scones, they were cold. We asked if they could be reheated and we told simply "no".
All in all, the afternoon wasn't a treat. The Mad Hatter theme wasn't even that prominent.. not as it looks in the pictures online. It was a rushed average tea. Save your money and go to M&S for nicer, fresh sandwiches and cold scones.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A friend had gone for this Afternoon tea inspired form Alice in Wonderland so for my sister´s 40th I decided to take her on our trip to London. It did not disappoint. Set in a well thought out setting in a garden space in the middle of the building where sprinkling water fountain set the tone for a delightful experience. The food and cakes were innovative and true to the story and not to mention tasty. Quality of food exquisit and service impecible. We had the champagne and rosebud tea of highest quality and of course had to take a lot of pictures. I totally recommend for any occation. there is not a single thing that could be different.