“One of the Most Emotional Moments of My Life”

Dennis Severs' House
Ranked #306 of 1 852 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Dennis Severs' House offers a glimpse into 18th-century (Georgian-era) life in England.
Reviewed 5 May 2018

"You either see it or you don't." If you do - you are rewarded. "Stop looking at things - look at what things are doing." I carried that "suggestion" from where I read it in the downstairs parlor to the final room on the top floor. ... As I turned to leave, ready to make my descent and leave the house, I turned and "saw it." But it is a feeling based on that sight. I sit here now and tingle at the moment. I returned to each of rooms in succession as I made my way down to the basement kitchen. In each room, I waited until I felt "it" again - yet each experience, some different within each room, was separate. Yet, each significant, emotional, and terribly moving. This is not spectral, is not being "in the past," not haunting. It is feeling the space, feeling an impact, understanding the soul of the place. Go. I cannot tell you how to find what I found. But I will never forget. If you see it, you will carry it with you always.

2  Thank 740mrose
in 30 reviews
"inhabitants"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We took the 'Silent Night' tour and it was an interesting experience. It was nice to walk around a place in total silence and really take it all in - not being able to take photos also probably adds to the experience.

The tour follows one family through multiple generations, with rooms full to the brim of items meant to illustrate the times and what normal life was like.

It is a good idea to lead visitors around from room to room, but sometimes it felt like more understanding was expected of us. As someone who is NOT from England and unfamiliar with the fine historical details, a little bit more printed information would have enhanced the experience for me. I felt like I was expected to understand or pick up more by the original artist than was possible.

1  Thank gcincinnati
Reviewed 30 April 2018

No booking needed on a Monday at lunch time. You'll have to wait outside the door - there is no space inside to accommodate waiting guests, which is understandable, but not very comfortable on a wet and windy day like today!

I enjoyed the house and artefacts, but for me it was too staged to be realistic. A cartoon-like note on a painting telling 'sshhht!' didn't add to the illusion of a real family home from the past.

Only when I got up the attic and the shutters rattled in the wind, could I imagine how it was to live in a place like that ages ago. The dark rooms, only lit by candles gave you a feeling of that too.

A view out the window on a steel and glass office building, with bright coloured plastic chairs on a roof terrace, reminded you of the present.
The site tells you a tour lasts about 45 minutes, but in reality this is twenty minutes at the most.

1  Thank Henry d
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Saw this advertised recently and decided to pay a visit - make sure you check website for opening times as very limited which you will understand why when you visit - a great experience and one of the best we have visited - pure atmosphere and you feel like you have gone back in time and entered someone’s house whilst they are out - wish other historic sites would visit to learn from this experience