Reviews (4 217)
3 001
1 068
3 001
1 068
All reviews fleet street covent garden temple tube station chancery lane elemis toiletries great hotel the club lounge paul's cathedral walk in shower west end continental breakfast superior room quiet location short walk trafalgar square large bathroom modern hotel
213 - 218 of 4 217 reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Superb hotel and location, friendly and courteous staff. There was a lot of building work going on to the front, so we had to access it round the back and never got to see the 'elephant' and we weren't advised of this on booking. However despite that, we cannot fault the hotel and would recommend it and use again - loving the Shirley Duck who is now on more travels !!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank PippaJC
Reviewed 24 June 2018

Just staying there on business - lovely room with all you could need. Very handy for the City and not too bad for tourists either. Outside bar with TV for World Cup was a bonus.
Didn't use any other facilities as too busy.

Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank billybusrammer
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel tucked away off Fleet Street. New clean, smart and so quiet. It is like a secret find. Will make this out regular base. Walkable distance to St Pauls, Royal Court of Justice, theatres, Millenium Bridge, Tate Modern and the Globe.
Staff are quietly efficient. They enhanced my birthday stay is very tasteful ways. Really well run hotel

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Julia B
Reviewed 23 June 2018

I stayed here for a friend's wedding in May and had a very nice stay. The hotel is tucked away in a back alley so it can be a bit tough to find, but that also makes it very quiet. The rooms are very nice and also good-sized. Very comfortable bed and the bathroom had all the amenities. It is in a good location and easily accessible via the Tube. The staff were very helpful. Would recommend.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank necker118
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Booked this because it was a good location and (relative to London prices) a good price.

Probably wouldn’t stay again though.

Location was excellent being a 20 min walk along Fleet Street/The Strand to Covent Garden, Leicester Square, etc.

However the slightly hidden costs and random bits left me uncomfortable with this place and there are so many other options in London.

They set up a big outdoor viewing area for the Soccer World Cup - great - with BBQ and bar - great. Looked like a great way to spend an hour, but when I went to order a drink, the price asked was higher than the advertised price? Turns out because they had, in small print, an added “optional” service charge ! When I said I would opt not to pay this, the waitress became confused. As did the manager. Either had brilliant English and could not understand that I was opting to not pay an optional fee. I eventually had to give up and walk away. When I checked out, I discovered that this was a hotel policy that was applied to everything, including the breakfasts and other food I had signed for..... A bit underhand if you ask me. Still, the room rate was competitive. I did hear one of the senior staff coaching a new employee in pushing extra charges to guests one afternoon when sitting in a quiet corner of the bar, so it is fairly clearly the tactic they employ.
Breakfast itself was a similar story. When I ordered a breakfast and coffee, the waiter (three times!) tried to get me to order the combined continental and English breakfast that was 25% more expensive. I ended up having to rudely insist on just having what I had ordered.

The room was a bit strange, but it turns out that it was set up for handicapped access. The small niggle was e.g. bottle of wine with the wine bar, but no corkscrew...
Mini bar not serviced and hence missed a couple of charges on my bill that had to be sorted retrospectively.
Small stuff in the scheme of things, but overall I will try somewhere else next time.

Great location though.