“Verry Different London Accomodation”
Review of Cable Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cable Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2017

This was my 6th trip to London over the years and the first time I didn't stay in a central London hotel. My nephew had stayed here in 2016 while on his honeymoon and highly recommended the Cable Street Inn. It was a different experience since the B&B is in a converted pub built in 1780. Unlike a previous reviewer's opinion that's what made it different & interesting. Yes, the wood plank floors are old, but they are original. The decor throughout is very eclectic but also very charming. The rooms are large with modern bathrooms. The breakfast room is lovely and yes it has the same offerings everyday but we got plenty to eat & drink every morning. Everything was clean & taken care of. I think location might be a drawback for some. The inn is located in East London near the Shadwell Station where you can pick up the Overground or the Docklands Light Rail heading east or west. Transfers to the tube are required and if you're a senior such as myself you need to keep in mind that there's lots of walking and climbing up & down stairs when you're heading into central London. There is only one nearby pub, located down on the Thames. It's a walk of probably at least 10 blocks each way but worth visiting. Otherwise, there's a small grocery and liquor store nearby and several chicken or fish takeaway shops that aren't particularly good. Julian, the owner of the Cable Street Inn was available all the time when we stayed there. He is very, very well informed and really knows the history or this area and the Thames River. I was travelling with two relatives and we all found the Cable Street Inn to be delightful. We really enjoyed being totally away from the hustle & bustle of Central London for a change. There were trees all around and park right next door. It was very relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 September 2017

It's a couple of years since I was lucky enough to discover Cable Street Inn for the first time. Now I've stayed in two of the three rooms and am delighted that the place is (of course) as lovely as I remember. Fantastic neighbourhood location, 5 mins from DLR, which is ten mins from very centre of the city. The Inn is full of character, stripped floors, fab artwork etc and the rooms - bedrooms, bathrooms, sitting room -
are all huge and really well appointed. Huge beds, big baths. The terrace is lovely too. In my view this is a no-brainer, massively superior and much cooler alternative to a hotel or airbnb apartment if staying in London. And Julian is lovely - really accommodating, friendly but unobtrusive. Stay if you can.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We were extremely disappointed! It was the most expensive B&B we have stayed in when in London, and we booked it to treat ourselves. We found it dusty, dirty and dilapidated. The carpet looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in ages. The floors were unfinished (perhaps stripped of old finish and not redone?), with nails sticking up...bare feet would be a no-no! The entire place was dark and dingy. The bed was OK, as was the bathroom.

The bathroom, bedroom, and eating rooms were all quite spacious, which was nice.

The owner was nice, but we only saw him once during our 4-day stay. The cold breakfast with soft-boiled egg was fine, but it was identical all 4 days.

One thing we found odd was this: Given the incredibly high ratings and the time of year we were there (end of September/early October), we were quite surprised to be the the only ones in the place for our entire stay, save for one night, when there was another couple. How does this happen?

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Julian809, Owner at Cable Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here but I have to respond to some of your completely inaccurate descriptions.
I don’t know where else you have stayed in London – maybe the outer suburbs but you would find it very difficult to find anywhere with such large, well appointed rooms and as close the centre that costs less.
You say ‘dusty, dirty and dilapidated’ – nice alliteration but I strongly refute this and can only conclude that because you posted your review almost a year after you stayed here, your memory has faded. Our rare and carefully chosen Persian rugs are vacuumed daily. The floors are 240 years old and have been carefully restored according to guidelines for historic buildings. If we should want to replace them (which we certainly do not) it is prohibited as this is a Listed historic building. I, like most of our guests enjoy the patina and romance of our floors and like to imagine all the people that have trodden them - very likely Charles Dickens and possibly Oscar Wilde.
To describe the place as ‘dark and dingy’ is bizarre. The room in which you stayed (Room #1) has huge French windows facing south and also windows facing east and west. It would be hard to find a room and bathroom which is more flooded with light.
Most people find the breakfast choices more than adequate and with only three rooms it would be very wasteful for us to offer a larger menu which would result in a lot of food being thrown away.
I appreciate the compliments (‘nice’) – thank you and I am sorry I was not around as much as you would have liked.
I guess there is no accounting for taste and maybe you can augment your appreciation of original art and antiques.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

If you love bathrooms and tastefully unique decor, one of the three charming rooms created on the upper floors of what was previously a neighbourhood pub is for you. Other highlights of this very personalized B&B are an attractive sitting/dining room (where the appetizing continental breakfast is served) and a roof terrace overlooking a park. I loved the neighbourhood--the famous Cable Street Mural next door was the first thing I noticed as I stepped out on the terrace. It illustrates the "Battle of Cable Street" where, on 4th October 1936, an estimated 300,000 Jews, Irish Dockers, Communists, Labour Party Members, Trade Unionists and residents of the East End came together to oppose the Blackshirts of the British Union of Fascists.

Cable Street now has a designated two lane pathway for bicyclists. Not being a cyclist myself, I didn't investigate details, but there are bicycles for rent just down the street from the Inn. The Shadwell stations for both the Overground and the DLR are across the street. For my last five nights in the UK, this was the perfect spot to explore London a bit more. I hope to return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2017

But, in the compassionate spirit of the owner, I will let you in on this magic piece of accommodation. This was just a lovely, lovely place.

I stayed for a week and came back home a few days ago.

All the practical aspects like the cleanliness of the room, the breakfast, the quality of the bed and of the bathroom and shower were great or better, but what really did it for me was the atmosphere. I'm not sure quite how to say it, but hanging out in the communal area, working in my room or talking to the owner, everything was so... quietly relaxed and... aesthetically grounded. There was something special about it all.

Staff were informally forthcoming but respectful and comfortable DLR-trains ran frequently to the city centre.

My whole stay was deeply pleasant in every respect. Value for money and a no-brainer first choice next time.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo