“The most moving monument or work of art I have ever seen, only next to the Pieta in St. Peter's Basilica.”

Animals in War Memorial
Ranked #261 of 1 849 things to do in London
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I have always loved animals. I made it a point to find this monument on my 8 day trip to London in early September of 2017. Upon finally coming upon it, as it is quite hidden by overgrown trees, the tears came to my eyes and fell down my cheeks like a soft but steady rain, and found myself petting their figures and speaking to those poor souls their figures represented, now long gone from their toils of this earth. If you have a heart for animals, and for what the innocent creatures of war were forced to endure by humankind, it is a must see on your next trip to London! The moving words, "They had no choice," will tear your heart out.

1  Thank noladesiree
in 7 reviews
"inscriptions"
"sacrifice"

Reviewed 23 September 2017

We came across this monument by chance & we are SO glad we did.
I got quite emotional whilst admiring the fantastic statues.
A MUST SEE!

1  Thank elizabeth m
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Just drove by it and I was surprised to see it, but it is a nice tribute to the animals lost in war.

1  Thank Spamky17
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

For all animal lovers - one of the greatest memorials standing. They served because they had no choice! My Grandfather's horse in the first wild war was called 'socks' - this is such a fitting tribute to all those animals that stood hoof and paw with the men and women who were conscripted. How great our respect - we owe them everything we have today. May they roam in pastures new with a gentle sun on their backs ❤️ a MUST see!

1  Thank PatriciaDE24
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 June 2017

This 2004 monument rises to the challenge of recognizing and commemorating the countless animals that have served with British armed forces. People who care about animals are bound to be moved by it. On the Park Lane side of Hyde Park, it is a carved wall of Portland stone, with sculptures of two mules, a horse and a dog in bronze.

3  Thank mrsagf