“Great evening!”

Balans Soho Society - Stratford City
Ranked #5 502 of 25 298 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: After shopping and promenading around Westfield Shopping Centre, lose a morning, afternoon or evening in the finest way possible. Relaxed, spontaneous, sociable dining is very much the order of the day at Balans, whatever the time of day. Whether it’s for a brief encounter at breakfast, a meandering weekend brunch, a light lunch or a candlelit dalliance over dinner, Balans Soho Society extends the most cordial of invitations to whet the appetite or wet the whistle, whatever your pleasure. “If restaurants could win Nobel prizes, Balans Soho Society would be in line…’ Tatler Restaurant Guide.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my wife had the most fantastic evening last night at this place- and I never write reviews! Food, service and atmosphere were amazing! Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Henry D

Reviewed 16 September 2018

Visited this place for the first and last time this weekend. There was a group of four of us. Despite the place being half full, they took their sweet time coming to our table and attending to our orders. So me and my brother in law got our drinks first before our other halves who had managed to be sitting there for 20 Minutes with nobody bringing their drinks over, despite having ordered them. In addition, the food took a leisurely and long time to arrive. When it did, it was lukewarm.

But the real kicker came at the end. When the bill arrived they tried to sneakily include a gratituity fee of around 10 pounds. We politely asked them to remove this. We told the waiter we would leave an appropriate tip in loose change. When he finally came back to take our payment, we told him we would pay by card. He then said out loud to me and my brother, “how are you going to pay my tip?” We were both stunned that this waiter would be so rude to ask this out loud to customers. We said we would leave it by change, and he said he would trust us because we looked trustworthy or some such thing.

We then darted out without leaving anything. Ww could forgive the service for being lacklustre and would still have tipped. However, we can’t forgive the staff for being so presumptive and rude in getting their tip money. We won’t be returning. Not that they care, I am sure.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

My friend and I had the pleasure to visit Balans on Saturday as a break from our shopping fever.

First second when we arrive, smiley staff invited us inside and showed our table.

Even if was a little bit early we’ve been offer a prosecco and morning cocktails with our breakfast. Well why not let’s go for it. My friend has a glass of bubbles and myself Long Mango which we both enjoyed. Our breakfast arrived quite quick despite almost full restaurant and busy staff.

Berries pancakes with maple syrup made my day!

As we’ve got a loyalty card we will be back there soon!

2  Thank Cassie C
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Balans never felt like a chain, but it’s getting there, the menu hardly ever changes, and branches also offer something so similar there is little to distinguish between them, needless to say there is nothing to encourage you to try another branch.

Some branches make an effort with daily specials, others churn out the same old thing with regular monotony..

The Stratford branch doesn’t appear to like to make an effort with anything. It’s a nice restaurant , generally with great servers, but far too often it is let down by the kitchen.

After being disappointed the last two visits with uncooked burgers, and soggy Fish and chips, I decided today to order the easiest item on the menu, scrambled egg on toast....

A 5 year old could have done better than the plate I was served today. See Picture.... cold - over cooked egg and rubbery “toast“ (griddle cooked bread tasting faintly of meat).

I’ll be giving this Balans a miss for a while...

4  Thank Stephen J
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Went here for a quick coffee. Americano took 30 minutes to arrive. I paid in cash and change took another 15 minutes to come.

To add insult to injury the chair I sat in had a few crooked screws which I cut my fingers on.

Staff are nice and friendly but definitely needs to improve its service.

1  Thank MHD1323

Been to Balans Soho Society - Stratford City? Share your experiences!